Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

I swapped my driver door buttons with backlit ones

250K views 826 replies 144 participants last post by  FKHeath 
#1 ·
Skip down a paragraph if you don't care to read my meandering backstory... After observing how many people were annoyed with Toyota cheaping out on backlit window controls, I decided to try to do something about it. I was reading about solutions in other threads, and came across a link to a forum in Japan where someone had swapped out their right hand drive buttons with a Toyota Crown. The Crown in Japan is what Toyota calls the Corolla in North American markets. After doing some sleuthing (IE, going to Toyota.com and looking at the 2019 Corolla gallery) I determined that yes, the 2019 Corolla has driver door controls that match the layout of the 2019 RAV4, and that yes, they are backlit. The part (84040-12210) is not cheap at $380. I managed to find an eBay salvage part seller who had that part number listed for $150 with free shipping, pulled from a wrecked 2019 Corolla hatchback. Still expensive for what it is, but I wasn't sure I'd see it for less, so I went ahead. That replacement part showed up today!

Here is the part as it showed up, and compared to the RAV4 door controls:

I used a spudger to pry up the drivers door controls. It comes out without having to remove anything else, just held in with clips, as shown below. Just be careful not to do what I did (I'll get to it below).

Here are the two assemblies, side by side:

The window control buttons easily come off the assembly by removing the three phillips head screws on the either side and underneath the module.

Side by side comparison of the modules (RAV4 left, Corolla right):

And the Corolla module installed in the RAV4 assembly:

Continuing in another post since I can only attach 10 items...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Back side of the Corolla module in the RAV4 assembly:

Here it is wired back up, making sure it works before reinstalling completely:

Everything seemed to be working fine, so I snapped it back into place, and now it looks great!

Some things to note:
I followed someone else's post on how to take the door controls out, but I misinterpreted where to pry based on their image they uploaded. Therefore, don't do this:

There is a J shaped clip at the upper/forward part of the assembly that acts more as a hinge than a clip. Do not pry there. I broke this clip because I thought it was the best place to go pry it. instead, pry from the opposite side where there is a more typical clip that will not break from being pried upwards. Then lift/slide away from that J shaped clip.

The buttons from the Corolla definitely work, but the buttons from the RAV4 "feel" better. They have less travel and are less clicky than the Corolla. Think of it like a chiclet/laptop keyboard vs IBM mechanical. It's a total preference thing, but I personally prefer the RAV4 buttons. Not going to swap it back, but I wish they felt the same.

This whole thing, including supergluing the clip I broke back together, took me about 35 minutes, and I think it turned out really well. I'm really pleased.

Other Note: it looks like the 2018/19 Camry door controls might also work, although they don't look exactly the same so I'm not sure 100%. They have black caps instead of silver, and each button has an auto indicator instead of the slits for the LEDs to show. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-19-Toyo...636650&hash=item4d9d2ac417:g:v1sAAOSwRBFdlmuM

#11 ·
Other Note: it looks like the 2018/19 Camry door controls might also work, although they don't look exactly the same so I'm not sure 100%. They have black caps instead of silver, and each button has an auto indicator instead of the slits for the LEDs to show. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-19-Toyota-Camry-Master-Driver-Window-Control-Switch-84040-06070/333349307415?fits=Year:2019|Make:Toyota&epid=27032636650&hash=item4d9d2ac417:g:v1sAAOSwRBFdlmuM
This is how the Camry part looks like. Got the screenshot from an online video review. So yes it is backlit and the overall arrangement of buttons is the same as that of RAV4.

#4 ·
Nice! So happy to see people modify and fix stuff that they are not totally content with.

I am tempted by that ebay piece....
I'd do a little more reasearch on those Camry buttons before pulling the trigger for two reasons:
  1. toyotapartsdeals has the part for under $50, so that ebay link I posted is likely way overpriced, and
  2. I'm not certain that the Camry buttons are backlit. The marketing images makes it seem that way, but so did the RAV4 images, and we all know how that turned out.

Reactions: TXninja
#15 ·

If the Camry master switch ends up being compatible, the 16 17 Prius switch might work too. The Camry and Prius switch look the same. One end looks different than the RAV4 and Corolla switch though. Notice how the plastic is a “U” shape to the body near the clip and the RAV4 and Corolla body is not. Wish I had time to test the Prius or Camry one out for fun.

#23 · (Edited)
Installed my power window switch using 2018 Camry’s switch module, plug and play.

Part number 84040-33170

I used the pry tool to remove the switch panel at the rear part/door armrest area.

Also purchased front passenger side modules too, windows and door locks works fine, unfortunately the switches does not illuminate. I will probably check the harness later to make the front passenger switch to work.

Thanks again to the OP for giving me the idea to do this mod.

#29 ·
Also purchased front passenger side modules too, windows and door locks works fine, unfortunately the switches does not illuminate. I will probably check the harness later to make the front passenger switch to work.
This is disappointing, as I was looking into swapping the passenger buttons at some point. Just to confirm, are you saying the modules are meant to illuminate, but the harness in the RAV4 doesn't make them light up?

#35 ·
Here are some pics of the front passenger window switch/door lock/unlock switch:

Left: Stock RAV4(Printed lock unlock symbol), Right: Camry (Back lit/translucent print lock symbol)

Stock RAV4 windows switch harness plug and door lock harness plug, notice the missing wires/ blank plug:

Rear Passenger window switch harness plug( same as the front passenger):

I believe one of those blank pin slots is for switch illumination.

#37 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the front passenger window switch/door lock/unlock switch:

Left: Stock RAV4(Printed lock unlock symbol), Right: Camry (Back lit/translucent print lock symbol)

Stock RAV4 windows switch harness plug and door lock harness plug, notice the missing wires/ blank plug:

Rear Passenger window switch harness plug( same as the front passenger):

I believe one of those blank pin slots is for switch illumination.
I guess there’s a wire missing from the source wherever this harness originates from. Doubtful you’ll be able to rig a electric connection to that empty pin. But if you do let us know please..!

#42 ·
Just did my driver side buttons and am very happy with the result. Thank you guys so much for sharing the info! Now if only we could figure out how to get the rest of the buttons to illuminate.

Just wondering now, what if we tried to jump a wire from the illuminated heated seat button in the back door to the window switch right next to it? That should make it work pretty easily for those two right? Then we'd just have to figure out the front passenger.

#43 ·
Just did my driver side buttons and am very happy with the result. Thank you guys so much for sharing the info! Now if only we could figure out how to get the rest of the buttons to illuminate.

Just wondering now, what if we tried to jump a wire from the illuminated heated seat button in the back door to the window switch right next to it? That should make it work pretty easily for those two right? Then we'd just have to figure out the front passenger.
I’m gonna do the driver side replacement tonight (2019 Corolla part) and will update everyone how it goes.

#46 ·
Based on a local'ish Toyota dealer's part site, part 84040-33170 has been replaced by part # 84040-06070. Has anyone tried this new part number and/or know if it is backlit?

TIA!

https://parts.sftoyota.com/p/MASTER-SWITCH-ASSEMBLY--MULTIPLEX-NETWORK/69491753/8404033170.html

PSA: Another Toyota parts dealer has them for a little less:

#54 · (Edited)
Gah!!! The eBay seller I ordered from sent me the wrong part. Need the auto up and down for all four windows but this dirty piece of crap I received only does the front windows. Getting a refund, they don’t have the part the advertised.

silver lining, I’m ordering a brand new one for $42 plus shipping. No need for salvage parts : /

btw:84040-06070 is a compatible part for the 18-19 Camry

#63 ·
#70 ·
If you order the part off of Ebay, make sure the seller knows the correct part number. I ordered 84040-33170. What was sent was part number 84820-06120. While they look identical, the connectors that plug into the wiring harness are different. 84820-06120 is for a 2015-2017 Camry.

#71 ·
EBay seller I was working with didn’t even try. I ordered 84040-33170 and was sent the wrong part too. Front windows were auto up and down but not the rears. Still waiting on a refund. When I let them know I didn’t receive what was listed, they didn’t even have the part I bought on hand.

brand new one is on its way from Toyota South (silver lining ftw)

#72 ·
This thread makes me wonder how many people have coughed up the money to mod their Rav4's because of something or another embarrassingly minor that Toyota went cheap on and left off this relatively expensive car. So far I've seen the hood blanket, headlight protector seals and these switch lights added. Anything else?

#74 ·
I suppose you could add to that list wheels, tires, mud flaps, clear bra, window visors, window tinting....etc. They are just items that personalize the vehicle to your taste. The RAV4 will run just fine without any of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.