Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Best mod ever. Seriously took 5 minutes and not a single weird angle, hard to get out plug or difficult to remove trim piece. Just pops out and a clean swap. Best mod ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the stock buttons sit a tiny bit higher than the replacements but it's ok, drivers will get used to them quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As promised - I tracked down the part number for the Toyota Crown with power retracting mirrors, which has backlit controls. It installed just fine, as you'll see below. Unfortunately, the only place I could find it was a Japanese parts importer.

The Part
The part number is 84872-30070. I believe this is for a Toyota Crown again, which means I couldn't find a source for it anywhere in North America. I searched eBay, dealer sites, and Japanese Yahoo auctions sites with no luck. I eventually stumbled across jp-carparts.com, which operates out of Kyoto, Japan. They happened to have it in stock for $52.39 + shipping and a PayPal transaction fee cover. All told I paid $69.05. I placed the order on December 18th, it shipped out a few days later, and I received the package via DHL on December 26th. If you are going to pursue this part, I would highly recommend going through them, their process is very simple and they were quick to respond.

The Install
Once again, this was a straightforward plug and play swap.

Here's the new part:
View attachment 148050

Comparing the two. As you can see, they are identical except for the mirror retraction controls and the striations to the left and right of the 4-way adjustment buttons:
View attachment 148051

Unlike the window controls, this module is held in place with 4 small clips rather than screws. I used a tiny screwdriver to pry the clips loose. You can see two in this photo; the other two are on the opposite side.
View attachment 148052

Comparing the two modules (Original left, backlit right):
View attachment 148053 View attachment 148054 View attachment 148055

The new one snaps right into place, here it is installed in the assembly:
View attachment 148056

And installed in the RAV4:

View attachment 148057

Unfortunately, no, power folding mirrors don't magically start working after installation, but everything else works fine!
Hi, do you have the p/n for the other buttons? (Not just the mirror)
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best mod ever. Seriously took 5 minutes and not a single weird angle, hard to get out plug or difficult to remove trim piece. Just pops out and a clean swap. Best mod ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This ones don’t habe the silver “finish” the originals have. Is there a on for the ones with silver line?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found a 12V source on the window harness, i tried applying power to the un-used pins for both windows and doorlock switch, sorry, no luck guys switch does not light up. Will try something else.

I'm just curious when you did this, where you only applying power(12V) to 1 pin and not having another connection to GND? I ask this because if I look at the wiring pin-out for the 2018-2019 C-HR passenger side window switch with Auto Up/Down and LED illumination (sorry, couldn't find one for 2019 RAV4 but I think they are identical, as well as the recent Corolla, Camry and Prius) I believe it requires a connection to Pin3 (+12V) and a battery neg (GND) to Pin1 (which is separate from the switch's GND of Pin7) to complete the circuit for the LED on the switch to light up.

If you look at the 2019 RAV4 window harness, it is clearly missing wires for Pin1 and Pin3 (apparently, Toyota didn't want to spend money adding wires that weren't used), but it has those pins on the switch. Ignore Pin6, apparently that isn't used for anything.

The reason the Master Control Switch was an easy plug and play for the LED is likely because the RAV4 was already wired for it since it came with 1 of the 4 window switches with LED. So when swapping in the Corolla, Camry, or other Master Controller all the LED lit up as they probably shared the same power pin.

I thought about doing this for the passenger switches, but the challenge I find is that for the front passenger there is no easy +V source at the door that I can tap into that "activates" with the headlights. In other words, the switch LED would be illuminated whenever the car is on whereas all my other switches only illuminate when the headlights/parklights are on. And you definitely want to avoid tapping into something that is always powered with the ignition off as you'll drain the battery (although that little LED light probably draws very little). For those of you with the heated rear seat, it would probably be easy to just tap into the same wires for the heater switch's LED and the nice thing is that the rear seat heater LED only comes on when the headlights/parklights are on.

Apologies for rambling on about all this, but I thought I would share what I think is happening for passenger LED switch issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm just curious when you did this, where you only applying power(12V) to 1 pin and not having another connection to GND? I ask this because if I look at the wiring pin-out for the 2018-2019 C-HR passenger side window switch with Auto Up/Down and LED illumination (sorry, couldn't find one for 2019 RAV4 but I think they are identical, as well as the recent Corolla, Camry and Prius) I believe it requires a connection to Pin3 (+12V) and a battery neg (GND) to Pin1 (which is separate from the switch's GND of Pin7) to complete the circuit for the LED on the switch to light up.

If you look at the 2019 RAV4 window harness, it is clearly missing wires for Pin1 and Pin3 (apparently, Toyota didn't want to spend money adding wires that weren't used), but it has those pins on the switch. Ignore Pin6, apparently that isn't used for anything.

View attachment 149658

The reason the Master Control Switch was an easy plug and play for the LED is likely because the RAV4 was already wired for it since it came with 1 of the 4 window switches with LED. So when swapping in the Corolla, Camry, or other Master Controller all the LED lit up as they probably shared the same power pin.

I thought about doing this for the passenger switches, but the challenge I find is that for the front passenger there is no easy +V source at the door that I can tap into that "activates" with the headlights. In other words, the switch LED would be illuminated whenever the car is on whereas all my other switches only illuminate when the headlights/parklights are on. And you definitely want to avoid tapping into something that is always powered with the ignition off as you'll drain the battery (although that little LED light probably draws very little). For those of you with the heated rear seat, it would probably be easy to just tap into the same wires for the heater switch's LED and the nice thing is that the rear seat heater LED only comes on when the headlights/parklights are on.

Apologies for rambling on about all this, but I thought I would share what I think is happening for passenger LED switch issue.
@zeniq you might find this post above immensely instructional.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thank you, @wliu. This is exceedingly helpful.

View attachment 149658

·
Registered
73 Posts

View attachment 149658

I did this wiring connections using ground(-) directly to the chassis, and +12V from the switch harness and does'nt light up, but looking at your diagram, i will re-do this again. Thanks for the share.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did this wiring connections using ground(-) directly to the chassis, and +12V from the switch harness and does'nt light up, but looking at your diagram, i will re-do this again. Thanks for the share.
I believe you used a switch from old Prius/Camry that has 7 pins instead of 8 so that might be the reason. Now there is more clarity hope it will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 149658

I thought about this some more after I had posted it last night. One thing that bothered me(still does) is what is that GREEN wire in Pin2 of the wire harness, as it is not called out in the C-HR pin-out. It must "serve" some purpose (maybe a signal or relay wire???). Wish I could see the wire harness on a C-HR to see if that wire is there also.

So I decided this morning to just map out the passengerside window switch pin-out on my Rav4. Based on my resistance(continuity) measurements, the Rav4 pin-out matches to the C-HR (from the C-HR service manual window switch troubleshooting table) in that Pin# to Pin7(GND) operates Up, Down, Auto Up/Down. So I'm pretty convinced that the OEM Camry, Corolla, or other passenger LED illuminated switches that is put onto the Rav4 will never light up because the Rav4 wire harness is missing the +V and -V(GND) wires in Pin1 and Pin3, unless you tap power somewhere to Pin1 and ground Pin3. What's still a mystery to me is what is the green wire for in Pin2 of the wire harness, as on the window switch it only has continuity to Pin6 which tells me that Pin2 and Pin6 on the switch are just shorted together.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I thought about this some more after I had posted it last night. One thing that bothered me(still does) is what is that GREEN wire in Pin2 of the wire harness, as it is not called out in the C-HR pin-out. It must "serve" some purpose (maybe a signal or relay wire???). Wish I could see the wire harness on a C-HR to see if that wire is there also.
View attachment 149669

So I decided this morning to just map out the passengerside window switch pin-out on my Rav4. Based on my resistance(continuity) measurements, the Rav4 pin-out matches to the C-HR (from the C-HR service manual window switch troubleshooting table) in that Pin# to Pin7(GND) operates Up, Down, Auto Up/Down. So I'm pretty convinced that the OEM Camry, Corolla, or other passenger LED illuminated switches that is put onto the Rav4 will never light up because the Rav4 wire harness is missing the +V and -V(GND) wires in Pin1 and Pin3, unless you tap power somewhere to Pin1 and ground Pin3. What's still a mystery to me is what is the green wire for in Pin2 of the wire harness, as on the window switch it only has continuity to Pin6 which tells me that Pin2 and Pin6 on the switch are just shorted together.
View attachment 149670
Just so if it might help you - I tested out the switch from old Prius (that has 8 pins) on my RAV4 and the Prius switch itself works just fine operating the window - it just didn’t illuminate.

So whatever the function of the green wire on RAV4 harness may be, it makes me think it does provide the correct signal to the replacement switch to make it work properly (save for illumination, of course). Hopefully by drawing power from heated window on the rear the illumination might work too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just so if it might help you - I tested out the switch from old Prius (that has 8 pins) on my RAV4 and the Prius switch itself works just fine operating the window - it just didn’t illuminate.

So whatever the function of the green wire on RAV4 harness may be, it makes me think it does provide the correct signal to the replacement switch to make it work properly (save for illumination, of course). Hopefully by drawing power from heated window on the rear the illumination might work too.
I measured the voltage on the rear seat heater wire harness and found that the rear seat heat switch illumination is powered by the Orange(+12V) wire and GND(white with black). With the headlights/parkinglight "off", there's no voltage reading (0V) between Orange wire and GND. And when I turn the headlight/parkinglight "on" there is +12V so I'm pretty sure that that Orange wire is powering the illumination on that heater switch.

My suggestion is to tap into the Orange wire on that heater harness and make a connection to Pin3 of one those LED window switches. You'll also need to complete the circuit by connecting Pin1 of the window switch to the GND wire on the heater harness. Since the Orange wire is only powered when the headlight/parkinglight are "on", I recommend to turn the headlight knob to OFF while you're making all these connections such that you don't inadvertently short something as the Orange and GND wire are right next to each other on the harness. Once everything is connected, can easily test by turning the headlight/parkinglight to "on" (no need to start the car).

DISCLAIMER: this is only my suggestions. I haven't done this, so please think about this before attempting and try at your own risk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have followed this tread almost from the beginning and have found it very interesting. My question is does this mod work on the 2020's? What part number should I order? I've read several different part numbers and sources. I'm planning on ordering it from TPD.
Bill

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sure, it works on 2020s and more than one parts work. My 2020 TRD used the part from 2018 Camry.

I have followed this tread almost from the beginning and have found it very interesting. My question is does this mod work on the 2020's? What part number should I order? I've read several different part numbers and sources. I'm planning on ordering it from TPD.
Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
For those interested but haven't made the leap yet. Ordering from BAM which included opening an account took all of a minute or two. I paid with PayPal and shipping was $7.50 making by order $51.10. Should have it early next week. The part number which was confirmed by BAM is: 84040-06070 and shows for a 2018 Camry. I'll post my experience with BAM and installation at al later time. Thanks to all those who researched, ordered, installed and experimented with this issue and resolution.
Bill

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Isn't 84040-33170 same as 84040-06070 except newer

261 - 280 of 321 Posts