Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I couldn't stop thinking about this. So got a 2018 C-HR passenger window switch w/illumination off of ebay as it was only $28. I chose the C-HR as my Master Window Switch is from a C-HR so to keep it consistent looking (with the silver accent trim and "A" icon).
View attachment 149948

Since it came from ebay, I wanted to verify the switch will illuminate if I supply power to Pin3 and GND to Pin1.
View attachment 149951

I proceeded to tap into the rear heater switch to provided the missing Pin1 and Pin3 on the window harness.
View attachment 149953
And that is where things starts to get confusing (at least for me). The window switch would illuminate as expected with the headlights on, as well as with the car in Acc. However, with the car Ignition On, the illumination goes out even though the rear heater switch stays illuminated. So tried to map out the voltage state of the rear seat heater pinout (as I can't find it online) and it makes no sense to me why there is no voltage between Pin6 and Pin5(GND) when the Ignition On, and how does the rear seat heater switch can stay illuminated in that case. Unless the rear seat heater illumination is powered a different pin in the harness but I don't know how that can be when only Pin6-Pin5 has power when headlights are on. I might be totally wrong about this so if someone out there understands what's going on or has a pin-out for the rear heater harness please reply.
View attachment 149954

Long story short...I give up trying to power the passenger switch illumination via the rear seat heater. Instead, I just tapped power from the window switch itself. In this case, the window switch illumination will be on whenever the ignition is on instead of being in sync with the headlights (which would have been nice). I might go back and rewire it if someone has figure out how to sync it with the headlights on/off.
View attachment 149955
Great update! To your question, Maybe a safety feature that's why voltage goes out? Or a heater timer feature? May i ask which pin did you tap power from the window switch itself to illuminate the window switch? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great update! To your question, Maybe a safety feature that's why voltage goes out? Or a heater timer feature? May i ask which pin did you tap power from the window switch itself to illuminate the window switch? Thanks!
I kinda "killed two birds with one stone" in that I was installing the car door handle LED from the other thread. So I just tapped into the car door handle LED harness and added the missing female pins #3 and #1 onto the connector that plugs into the window switch.

If you don't do the car door handle LED install, then you need to tap into Pin7(GND) and wire a connection to Pin1. And tap into Pin2 and wire a connection to Pin3.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@wliu Do you happen to have a source for the pins? (Did you buy them from Toyota, or are they aftermarket?)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
@wliu Do you happen to have a source for the pins? (Did you buy them from Toyota, or are they aftermarket?)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I scavenge them from other harness that I had left over from other projects. The female or male pins/connectors are pretty much generic for making wire harnesses. The key thing is just finding a size that fits your need.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I kinda "killed two birds with one stone" in that I was installing the car door handle LED from the other thread. So I just tapped into the car door handle LED harness and added the missing female pins #3 and #1 onto the connector that plugs into the window switch.
View attachment 150213
If you don't do the car door handle LED install, then you need to tap into Pin7(GND) and wire a connection to Pin1. And tap into Pin2 and wire a connection to Pin3.
View attachment 150214
Actually this is a much better solution because in this case you’re not touching the OEM wiring at all and all the splicing/tapping is done at the handle LED wire level.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Came across THIS link for a complete set of backlit window switches on AliExpress. I haven't ordered this yet; but would welcome others' thoughts.
This should be good as in I think they may have solved the problem of OEM harness lacking power to the LED pins (may have internally tapped the pins). @zeniq

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finished off the last of my LED illumination switches with the front passenger Lock/Unlock switch. Just like the passenger window switch, the 2019 RAV4 harness is missing the power and GND pins for the Lock/Unlock switch. So I did the same thing I did for the window switch, which was to add the 2 missing pins to the harness connector and tapped V+ and GND to the same LED car door handle illumination wires since I already had them there. For now, the passenger Lock/Unlock switch, passenger window switches and interior car door handle all light up with Ignition On unlike the driver master switch and outside mirror switch that are sync to the headlights. I'll settle for that for now until someone figures out how to sync them to the headlights On/Off.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am new on this forum, but was inspired by your improvements :)
I also did mine RAV4. Mine is a EU specification, as I am living on the old continent or on the other side of the pond - however you want to put it :)
But I am assuming it should work for you as well, as all those cars are made in Japan, so I guess they have all the same part numbers. I checked mine and they were exactly the same as all yours in this thread.
So I could not get my hands on any of the ones you listed, so I bought firstly Lexus NX 300H master switch - part number 84040-78030.

Mine car as I mentioned is EU spec, so this means, that I also have folded mirrors. So the controls for mirrors were kind of looking similar - I actually swapped a Lexus NX 200t for RAV4 hybrid AWD, so I knew they gonna fit physically, but wasn't sure if it will work. So it did not :(
I mean - it was the same as someone wrote with the switch from Prius - only drivers window was working (but not auto up/down feature, but just up and down), but the switch lit up.
It was very cheap, so I did not return it, but took it apart.

So after actually getting all this to know better, I bought one more switch, which is Toyota CH-R one, but with part number 84040-F4020. I have no idea if it is EU spec number or if it would be the same with US, but it is looking exactly the same as the one listed for Camry - so the "A" letter one. I checked it and hurra, it worked like a charm and it is backlit.

However, I did not like the look of it, so what I did is I took it apart and I took apart also the Lexus switch.
Remember, that the only thing which is different here is only the electronic plate - nothing else. The buttons work exactly the same. The LEDs are of course also on the plate.
So I took it apart and replaced Lexus plate with Toyota one inside the switch and mounted this one in my RAV4. Of course it works, but it looks much much nicer than the Toyota "A" branded one - take a look:

If you would be interested - the mirrors switch from Lexus is looking almost the same as the one I have and you can see on a pic.
It works on moving the mirrors and is backlit.
There are only two problems with it:
1) It is white light color backlit, so it does not match perfectly with RAVs bluish color.
2) It is working to fold the mirrors, but unfortunately the "Auto" fold feature (so the one that folds mirrors when you lock the car) does not work. Due to that reason I have still the standard one, but I mainly wanted to have the window switched backlit. So this is perfect.

Aha - the cost.
I have no idea how much would be original parts, but I am expecting that especially Lexus would charge premium for theirs.
I got them both used and in total it was around 35$ that I paid for all. The rest of course was just using your screw driver and plastic tire spoon for my bicycle tires :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am new on this forum, but was inspired by your improvements :)
I also did mine RAV4. Mine is a EU specification, as I am living on the old continent or on the other side of the pond - however you want to put it :)
But I am assuming it should work for you as well, as all those cars are made in Japan, so I guess they have all the same part numbers. I checked mine and they were exactly the same as all yours in this thread.
So I could not get my hands on any of the ones you listed, so I bought firstly Lexus NX 300H master switch - part number 84040-78030.

Mine car as I mentioned is EU spec, so this means, that I also have folded mirrors. So the controls for mirrors were kind of looking similar - I actually swapped a Lexus NX 200t for RAV4 hybrid AWD, so I knew they gonna fit physically, but wasn't sure if it will work. So it did not :(
I mean - it was the same as someone wrote with the switch from Prius - only drivers window was working (but not auto up/down feature, but just up and down), but the switch lit up.
It was very cheap, so I did not return it, but took it apart.

So after actually getting all this to know better, I bought one more switch, which is Toyota CH-R one, but with part number 84040-F4020. I have no idea if it is EU spec number or if it would be the same with US, but it is looking exactly the same as the one listed for Camry - so the "A" letter one. I checked it and hurra, it worked like a charm and it is backlit.

However, I did not like the look of it, so what I did is I took it apart and I took apart also the Lexus switch.
Remember, that the only thing which is different here is only the electronic plate - nothing else. The buttons work exactly the same. The LEDs are of course also on the plate.
So I took it apart and replaced Lexus plate with Toyota one inside the switch and mounted this one in my RAV4. Of course it works, but it looks much much nicer than the Toyota "A" branded one - take a look: View attachment 150481

If you would be interested - the mirrors switch from Lexus is looking almost the same as the one I have and you can see on a pic.
It works on moving the mirrors and is backlit.
There are only two problems with it:
1) It is white light color backlit, so it does not match perfectly with RAVs bluish color.
2) It is working to fold the mirrors, but unfortunately the "Auto" fold feature (so the one that folds mirrors when you lock the car) does not work. Due to that reason I have still the standard one, but I mainly wanted to have the window switched backlit. So this is perfect.

Aha - the cost.
I have no idea how much would be original parts, but I am expecting that especially Lexus would charge premium for theirs.
I got them both used and in total it was around 35$ that I paid for all. The rest of course was just using your screw driver and plastic tire spoon for my bicycle tires :)
Hey, great job! By the plate up above in your post, do you mean the chipset that underlies the physical buttons themselves when you open up the module?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, exactly that one. It is regular plastic plate with all chips and electronics on it.
You can easily see all the LEDs, chipset and switches for buttons.
I was initially thinking about just putting the original rav4 plate, but with leds added to it.

I ditched that idea though, cuz you can clearly see on the plate that connections were done by a machine. I would have never been able to reproduce that with tools I have.
So I bought the other one which I did not like the look of, but knew that all the plastics can be easily switched.
So yeah - honestly, you can most likely even buy the Chinese aliexpress version just for the buttons if you will be able to score it cheap or if you really want full original look but just with backlit.
For you guys that do not have folding mirrors I would still recommend going with lexus nx part though, as it will also give you backlit mirror switches. And yes, there are versions without folding switches on it or you can by a version with it and then replace those switches with plastic plate from your original rav4 part - yes, it fits.

You can basically think of all those plastics as legos.
The only thing I would recommend - be gentle with it, cuz you don't want to break the plastic. And I wouldn't recommend playing with it constantly. Just switch it once and leave it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Skip down a paragraph if you don't care to read my meandering backstory... After observing how many people were annoyed with Toyota cheaping out on backlit window controls, I decided to try to do something about it. I was reading about solutions in other threads, and came across a link to a forum in Japan where someone had swapped out their right hand drive buttons with a Toyota Crown. The Crown in Japan is what Toyota calls the Corolla in North American markets. After doing some sleuthing (IE, going to Toyota.com and looking at the 2019 Corolla gallery) I determined that yes, the 2019 Corolla has driver door controls that match the layout of the 2019 RAV4, and that yes, they are backlit. The part (84040-12210) is not cheap at $380. I managed to find an eBay salvage part seller who had that part number listed for $150 with free shipping, pulled from a wrecked 2019 Corolla hatchback. Still expensive for what it is, but I wasn't sure I'd see it for less, so I went ahead. That replacement part showed up today!

Here is the part as it showed up, and compared to the RAV4 door controls:
View attachment 147623 View attachment 147624

View attachment 147626
I used a spudger to pry up the drivers door controls. It comes out without having to remove anything else, just held in with clips, as shown below. Just be careful not to do what I did (I'll get to it below).
View attachment 147627

Here are the two assemblies, side by side:
View attachment 147628

The window control buttons easily come off the assembly by removing the three phillips head screws on the either side and underneath the module.
View attachment 147629

Side by side comparison of the modules (RAV4 left, Corolla right):
View attachment 147630 View attachment 147631

And the Corolla module installed in the RAV4 assembly:

View attachment 147632

Continuing in another post since I can only attach 10 items...
Could you use the 2019 C-HR window switch? It’s like $40.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No idea, but probably yes. Check the part numer for that 2019 CH-R switch - mine was 84040-F4020 and this one works for sure. Someone else in this thread also mentioned to use CH-R one in one of the previous posts and it had different part number, so check it out as well.
I would assume that those two, so CH-R and RAV4 have exactly the same chips in general, because the cockpits are also the same from operating system point of view, so I guess the computers behind are the same as well, so the switches should use the same chips as well.
Please note however, that this is just my guess. I also thought that because Lexus NX and RAV4 are very similar, that they use the same chips, but there are some differences as it turned out.

So you can buy it if you want to risk, knowing, that there is very high chance that it will work. It is still a risk if you cannot confirm the part number though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like 2021 Rav4 Prime will have the buttons backlit.
Yep - honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if regular RAV4 will get it too.
I heard recently from one of my friends that works at Toyota dealership that there are many customers that walk away and do not buy the car at the end because it does not have the backlit window switches. I am not sure if it is the same in US, but in EU people are quite sensitive on all such little details.
It looks to be a minor thing, but if you buy a car with a lot of addons and then it is quite expensive (in EU we usually buy cars with a lot of addons), then you expect that it will be at least ok for you. And if more and more things are not right, then you just go look for something else.

So yeah - don't be surprised if Toyota will decide to put the LEDs in all RAV4 models. This is their key car, as it is their main selling unit, so loosing customers for something that silly is not good. Especially, that most likely its gonna cost Toyota like 20$ for that feature.

The problem that I see and why RAV4 does not have backlit switches is Lexus NX in my opinion. This version of RAV is very similar inside as the Lexus - yes, the leather is not that soft, but plastics and everything else is very close. And I prefer leather in RAV4 as it is more heavy duty. I had NX before for 4 years and the soft natural leather I had in it started to tear after those 4 years in places and I was cleaning it often and in general, I am not hard on my cars. I guess its just what it is if you are around 90 kg and 6 foot 1 like me :) Toyota also drives better than Lexus as it is lighter.
But yeah, I actually did soundproof mine RAV4, as I could not stand the wind noise on highways and I would recommend doing so - now it is basically same as it was in Lexus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Finland’s Toyota Webpage:

The Media shots show backlit window switches for both driver and passenger.

This doesn’t mean North America will get it, but it does mean you can source parts from Finland and swap the OEMs in.

321 - 340 of 373 Posts