Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

361 - 373 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I orderd the version from homie @ aliexpress. Perfect fit and look ,5min install and done. Mirror and non-driver sides are on the wish list ;-).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I orderd the version from homie @ aliexpress. Perfect fit and look ,5min install and done. Mirror and non-driver sides are on the wish list ;-).
Thanks for sharing! Wondering if you can confirm that backlighting works on the main master switch AND the passenger door switches (did you order the main master switch and 3 passenger door switches, as a complete set?). It has been reported that the backlighting on the passenger door switches IS NOT working.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ordered only the main master switch and it works perfectly and is backlighted. Before ordering the other switches I will go tru the toyota tech doc to know what's the problem with the 3 passenger switches. I will keep you posted if I find a solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered only the main master switch and it works perfectly and is backlighted. Before ordering the other switches I will go tru the toyota tech doc to know what's the problem with the 3 passenger switches. I will keep you posted if I find a solution.
Thanks much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, @wliu what did you use to tap/splice into harness? I’m looking on amazon and there a gazillion options apparently.
I used these "T" taps (I think that's what they're called) as I had a bunch lying around. They work but not "as advertised" in that you're just supposed to snap it over the wire, but they really suck at cutting through the wire insulation. So usually what I do is cut away the wire insulation to expose the wire before I clip it over the wire, otherwise you don't get a good connection. I used the red ones as the wires are very small diameter. Honestly, you don't even have to use any this and just cut the insulation of the wire you want to tap into to exposed the wire, then just wrap the other exposed wire end around that exposed wire and put electrical tape over it. The electrical wires are going to be in the door panel and not exposed to the weather.

This is what I did for the C-HR passenger switches.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used these "T" taps (I think that's what they're called) as I had a bunch lying around. They work but not "as advertised" in that you're just supposed to snap it over the wire, but they really suck at cutting through the wire insulation. So usually what I do is cut away the wire insulation to expose the wire before I clip it over the wire, otherwise you don't get a good connection. I used the red ones as the wires are very small diameter. Honestly, you don't even have to use any this and just cut the insulation of the wire you want to tap into to exposed the wire, then just wrap the other exposed wire end around that exposed wire and put electrical tape over it. The electrical wires are going to be in the door panel and not exposed to the weather.

This is what I did for the C-HR passenger switches.
View attachment 150896
So, If I got it wright. they illuminate always when the ignition is on. Not only when the car lights are on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, If I got it wright. they illuminate always when the ignition is on. Not only when the car lights are on?
That is correct. For my passenger front and rear window switches, and the front passenger lock/unlock switch they will illuminate whenever the ignition is on. I wasn't able to find make them synch with the headlights.

To clarify, my switches are not from Aliexpress. From my understanding, the switches from Aliexpress are supposedly pre-wired internally to work when you plug it into the harness. However, I'm seeing in this thread that doesn't seem to be working for the passenger switches. In my case, I had to do some wiring myself to the OEM harness to get +12V and GND to the switches because my switches are intended for a C-HR but they work for the RAV4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the clarificación wliu.
What I do not totally understand is why Toyota does not make those switches identical (carry over) at least internally on the wiring and connectors since the function is identical, no matter the different models they are used in.
It will also be more cost effective for the car maker, avoiding such a huge proliferation in similar but different part numbers
Sorry for my english not so good :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the clarificación wliu.
What I do not totally understand is why Toyota does not make those switches identical (carry over) at least internally on the wiring and connectors since the function is identical, no matter the different models they are used in.
It will also be more cost effective for the car maker, avoiding such a huge proliferation in similar but different part numbers
Sorry for my english not so good :rolleyes:
The RAV4 may have been the first test of removing that feature to save money during manufacture, and could be rolled out in the future to other models. For that reason I wouldn’t be surprised to see other models losing the illuminated switches in coming years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In my case, I had to do some wiring myself to the OEM harness to get +12V and GND to the switches because my switches are intended for a C-HR but they work for the RAV4.
What i don't understand: why didn't you connect the wiring you had to put there yourself to one of the illumination sources from the fuse box with a wire tap?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy this window switch? Does anyone have the model #?

They have it listed on aliexpress.com for $55, but it's out of stock. I prefer this version over the 2018 Camry window switch.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does anyone know where I can buy this window switch? Does anyone have the model #?

They have it listed on aliexpress.com for $55, but it's out of stock. I prefer this version over the 2018 Camry window switch.

Thanks in advance!
Send a message to the seller and I’m sure they’ll place the order for you.

361 - 373 of 373 Posts