Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

461 - 480 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Completed my RAV's Rear power window switch illumination and now all my window switches illumination are all done and very much happy with the result! Thanks to this very helpful thread/contributors!

Rear Left Door/Window:

Rear Right Door/Window:

How I wired the connector/add pins:

Add pins/wires on slot #1/#3

Thanks for looking!
Very Cool!

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Rav4
37 Posts
I see the new wires in the plug, but where do the other wires connect to? Can you provide a picture of that??

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see the new wires in the plug, but where do the other wires connect to? Can you provide a picture of that??
My mod connections were based on the previous wiring/connector diagram shown in this thread(page 14). The pin# 1 I added taps to pin#7 (White/black wire-ground) and pin#3 that I added taps into pin#2(+12V). Connector plug on my previous post, I have shown with wires added(pin#1 starts from the right and so on going left). Hope this helps.

Here is my guide from page 14:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good Question.
All 3 of your passenger switches illuminate when the vehicle is on, correct? As opposed to only when the headlights are on.
Yes, all 3 passenger switches is always on/illuminates when engine is running/while driving. That is the only downside of this mod, for me is ok for now until i can find a power wire tapped with the headlights.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes, all 3 passenger switches is always on/illuminates when engine is running/while driving. That is the only downside of this mod, for me is ok for now until i can find a power wire tapped with the headlights.
A possible solution could be : take the ilumination power from the driverside ( pick the passenger button ) and bring that signal to the other doors. A advantage off taking the signal (wire) from the passangers button ( driverside) is that if you disable the windows (FR/RR/RL) the lights in those buttons will not illuminate if the switches are not active.
Sure it will take some time and effort to bring those extra wires to the doors, but at least you will have a factory look/function ;-).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My AliExpress shipment turned up Sunday morning, just a month after I ordered it. Then I found I don't have any spudgers, so I ordered a kit that came today. But the tools were much bigger than I realized. Anyway, I managed to get one of the tools to work to remove the panel. A smaller tool would have been much faster, I'm sure.

The hardest part was removing the wiring connector, which cost me a few minutes. Total job time was about 10 minutes. Really, I'm 100% satisfied in all aspects--it looks and works like the original part. And the backlight color completely matches the existing. This part is a total winner!

Only afterward did I consider I should have photographed the numbers on the bottom of the switch to compare with the numbers on the OEM part. But lacking the small spudger I'm going to leave well enough alone.

For those of you not the DIY types, I'm not either, but I heartily recommend this upgrade.
Just got my Aliexpresss/Homie switch today. It took a month for me as well (might’ve been two weeks, hard to tell these days). Surprisingly it came with a trim removal tool! I already had a set, but it was a nice to see it included

I also had the cheaper Camry OEM switches that most people have been buying, so it was interesting comparing all three. To me, the Aliexpress is actually higher quality than both OEM switches. It had a piece of electric tape over the “Toyota” on the bottom. So maybe it is an OEM part that they’re selling as an aftermarket? Either way, it feels sturdier and maybe weighs a bit more than the other two. The main differences of the Aliexpress are:

-Feels better built than the two OEM switches. Plastic housing on the original Rav switches flexes and creaks more.
-Switches feel more solid with no play and a little stiffer that the OEMs. The Camry OEM has a “clicky” sound and the switches have more play. Original Rav is less clicky than the Camry, but has a cheaper feel than the Aliexpress.
-mounting points and switch height is closer to the original Rav switches. I didn’t notice until today that the Camry OEM switch heights and mounting points of the three Phillips screws are different than the original rav switches.

The angle makes them appear to be drastically different sizes, but the original RAV4 is on the left, the oem camry is in the middle and aliexpress on the right. You can kind of see the difference in switch height and mounting points.

Also, the passenger window lockout button functions the same as the original (does not stay depressed) and that also has much better feel to it.

basically if I didn’t buy these myself I would assume the OEM parts were the cheap knockoffs.

·
Registered
2017 Rav4 XLE and 2020 Rav4 Limited Hybrid
54 Posts
Just got my Aliexpresss/Homie switch today. It took a month for me as well (might’ve been two weeks, hard to tell these days). Surprisingly it came with a trim removal tool! I already had a set, but it was a nice to see it included

I also had the cheaper Camry OEM switches that most people have been buying, so it was interesting comparing all three. To me, the Aliexpress is actually higher quality than both OEM switches. It had a piece of electric tape over the “Toyota” on the bottom. So maybe it is an OEM part that they’re selling as an aftermarket? Either way, it feels sturdier and maybe weighs a bit more than the other two. The main differences of the Aliexpress are:

-Feels better built than the two OEM switches. Plastic housing on the original Rav switches flexes and creaks more.
-Switches feel more solid with no play and a little stiffer that the OEMs. The Camry OEM has a “clicky” sound and the switches have more play. Original Rav is less clicky than the Camry, but has a cheaper feel than the Aliexpress.
-mounting points and switch height is closer to the original Rav switches. I didn’t notice until today that the Camry OEM switch heights and mounting points of the three Phillips screws are different than the original rav switches.

The angle makes them appear to be drastically different sizes, but the original RAV4 is on the left, the oem camry is in the middle and aliexpress on the right. You can kind of see the difference in switch height and mounting points. View attachment 154443

Also, the passenger window lockout button functions the same as the original (does not stay depressed) and that also has much better feel to it.

basically if I didn’t buy these myself I would assume the OEM parts were the cheap knockoffs.
does the button have the chrome/silver tip on the buttons like oem on the Rav? Would be mind posting a picture of the AliExpress one you received?

·
Registered
144 Posts
does the button have the chrome/silver tip on the buttons like oem on the Rav? Would be mind posting a picture of the AliExpress one you received?
I bought the AliExpress/Homie switch. I posted pics of it. Look for post #422. It has the chrome tip, at least the one I bought, some don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have the silver tips. The original switches that came with my RAV (2wd XLE) have black plastic tips. The photo I have of them installed looks exactly like the other photo in post #422.

here’s a few more pics showing the differences...

the tiny piece of electric tape was over the “Toyota”, I just moved it to take the pic. A quick google of “Toyota 84040-F4050“ results in listings for the window switch for the 2018 C-HR that lists for $255. I think I paid $55 for the Aliexpress switch and $44.99 for the Camry switch from BAM. If the Aliexpress/Homie switch is in fact the same Toyota OEM part from the C-HR for $200 less, sweet! Either way, i think it was worth the extra $10 and a week or so longer wait time to get a part that’s higher quality and is closer in size/shape to the original RAV switch.

The mechanism on the Camry switch is much different than both the original RAV and Aliexpress switch. Notice The white picees underneath, those get pushed down by the rocker and activate the switch itself which is lower on the PCB that’s in the main body. You can kind of see it in my other photo from the side. The white pieces on the the original RAV and Aliexpress switches are hidden by the rocker switch itself, but they’re much closer to the pivot point. I think that’s part of what gives it a much different feel. If you’re familiar with mechanical keyboard switches, the camry’s are like Cherry MX Blues (tactile and clicky), original RAV are like Cherry MX Browns (quieter, but still has a tactile ”bump”) and the Aliexpress is like Cherry MX Greys (same as browns, but with a heavier spring)

Another shot showing the overall height difference between the Camry on the left and the original RAV on the right.

I didn’t realize at first just how different the two OEM switches are in their layout and overall design.

I’ve never ordered from Aliexpress before, but I think at least in this case, it’s worth the few extra $ and slightly longer delivery time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone know where i can get one of these fro a RHS vehicle? I'm located in Australia.
Check your local auto dismantlers, or local dealership. Or try this link: From a RHD Toyota Harrier: Part# 84040-48160

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
38 Posts
Hey there,

I have the genuine Toyota lighted switch with A symbol (84040-06070) that I had installed for 4 weeks if someone wants it (pic shown). Paid $53 shipped for it, will sell it for $45 shipped CONUS. Nothing wrong with it, it works and looks 100% as new, just my OCD wouldn't let me have 2 different switch labels in the car....PM me if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just got my new XSE 2 weeks ago and been looking for cool mods. I just saw this video posted on youtube with a link for a full set
and this link was posted with 2 styles and either driver, or package deal (not sure if the rest are lit already) Free Shipping Lighted LED Power Single Window Switch Set for Toyota RAV4 RAV 4 2019 2020 LHD (Site does look like its a chinese store, some good/some bad reviews)
There are two styles, the A style is with the Letter A on each window switch., the B-style is the one like the stock RAV4's Slot/dash style but it is LED lit.

461 - 480 of 517 Posts