Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume since they quoted 4 quarts of BG Ultraguard 75016 which is a hypoid oil that the dealer is referring to fluid replacement in the rear differential. That's 4 quarts at $28.29 each for a total fluid charge of $113.16. The total for the repair including the fluid was $414.50. I though there was maybe a half a litre of gear oil there or am I mistaken? This is a dealer repair quote for a left rear axle shaft leak that was discovered during warranty work. Thanks for your help - I'm new to RAVs but have done some things on other brands.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
you can do the front and rear with a quart of oil... my right axle seal was changed under the 5 year power train warranty last year, yours what not covered under the warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Octane,

Thanks for confirming the fluid requirements. Unfortunately the car is past the 5 year power train warranty. I don't know if the quote was a legitimate error ( but it seems very uninformed for a Toyota service manager) or if I was the recipient of a "dumb blonde" quote. I DID mildly protest at the time that I didn't think there was that much fluid there but it fell on deaf ears. I think I'll go clean the oil up and check to see if the breather plug is seized and watch for a leak before doing a repair. Also, I noticed that the oil leak seemed fresh - there was no caked on road grime like you'd expect and when I stuck my fingers in the oil it seemed like regular motor oil not hypoid gear oil. I don't know what to think about that.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I assume since they quoted 4 quarts of BG Ultraguard 75016 which is a hypoid oil that the dealer is referring to fluid replacement in the rear differential. That's 4 quarts at $28.29 each for a total fluid charge of $113.16. The total for the repair including the fluid was $414.50. I though there was maybe a half a litre of gear oil there or am I mistaken? This is a dealer repair quote for a left rear axle shaft leak that was discovered during warranty work. Thanks for your help - I'm new to RAVs but have done some things on other brands.
I'd get the oil charge issue clearly straightened out before going any further. Otherwise...another shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts