• --I4 4WD over 29 MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try the gas mileage poll again for the 2006 Rav4. This time, we are comparing the Inline 4 combinations of 2WD vs 4WD. There's a separate poll for the V6.

I spread out the MPG range so that it will give a better feel for the actual "average" MPG that you are experiencing. This is also about the maximum number of poll options you can enter. Please use average mileage (some city/some highway).

If you are averaging below 22 MPG or above 29 MPG, add a note that explains your driving circumstances.

Enjoy

regards,
SloopG

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly can do that. I thought everyone can see these polls.

SloopG

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know it's too late now, and don't mean to imply that you should have thought of this in advance, but a final choice of "I own the other model" would have let the other's have a choice and see the results. live'n' learn.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please add your MPG stats if you are driving a 06 Rav4 4 cylinder engine with either 2WD or 4WD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Disappointing highway mileage

2006 Base 4 cyl 2WD.
1700 miles
1rst tank all city: 23.9 mpg
Last tank 80% hwy with a 25 mph tail wind: 25.1 mpg

Good news? Every tank has been at least 23.4 mpg.
Bad news? No tank has beat 25.1 mpg.

I guess I was naive to think that the RAV would have some miracle advantage when the same engine in the Highlander with just 200 lbs extra curb weight is rated at 22/27.

My appologies to the administrator for posting originally in the V6 thread.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a 2006 limited with the I4, 2wd and 3500 miles so far. A few tanks have been 25.6 to 26 mpg, but most have been 26 to 27 mpg. Our driving is about 75 percent highway and 25 percent city. I also changed to mobile 1 oil at 1700 miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep reporting your gas mileage. There's a separate poll for V6 drivers.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
've gone through 3 full tanks of gas on my 2006 RAV4 LTD 4wd 4cyl and haven't cracked 17 mpg yet. Very disappointed, especially since every comment I read has people doing much better.

Dealer's giving me the "still breaking enginge in come back at 5K miles" line, but I don't buy that. I'd expect to see fluctuation if that were the case, with an improving trend. I'm getting a consistent 16.5mpg.

This is a 60/40 mix between city/highway. Definitely not a lead foot or stop light dragster.

Maybe you can add a under 17 category.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I learned how to stretch the gas by going slow, about 65mph and mixing it with trucks in the right two lanes. This ends at about 28mpg. However, if I just drive normally, it ends at 24mpg, so I voted for 22-25 band.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update on MPG at 4,800

Last three tanks:
27.5 MPG 80/20 highway/city
28.2 MPG 100% highway right on the speed limit w/ 4 boy scouts and camping gear. Highest yet.
26.7 MPG 60/40 highway city

This is an improvement for me. Although it is creeping up from the 24-25 I experienced in the 1rst 4K, I'm still looking for 30 on a pure highway tank.

City performance is great, regardless of my behavior, I haven't been below 24 mpg since the first 1,000 miles.

I4 FWD

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reposting this so we can get some more datapoints.

SloopG

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's just my opinion, but I think combined mileage figures are useless for any type of comparison. Percentage of hwy vs city driving is too much of a variable. Very often people don’t include their percentages, and even if they do how useful is the info if my percentages differ? And I’ve seen some people post mix mileage figures that were so high that one can only assume that their amount of city was really low.

I certainly understand that some people’s driving is always mixed, and they may not be able to provide separate hwy and city figures. That’s OK, their info contribution still adds to our knowledge. But those of us that can provide separate hwy and city figures should, cause those are the only figures that are useful for comparison.

BTW, with almost 4k miles on my Base I4-4WD I am getting 28-29 hwy, and 18-19 city.

As a side note, my mileage has improved in the last 1k miles, even though I have been using the AC a lot over these miles. Up until about 3k miles on odo I was getting about 1-2mpg less hwy and city.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quite a variance

I believe the weight of the Rav vs the engine size really makes a huge variance in mileage, depending upon driving. You just have to spin the I4 higher doing starts and stops, if that makes any difference at all. Knowing what I know now, if I was doing slow city commuting, I'd really have to rethink the mileage equation. As it is, it will spend most of it's life on the hwy, so I'll be pleased if I can stay over 24.

Worst tank: (60% city) 16.9 mpg

Best tank: (70% hwy commute) 25.5 mpg

Total mileage 5700

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just turned over 1200 miles (have not changed the oil yet). I have been averaging a bit over 22 MPG city driving. Took a highway trip today and got 30.2 MPG, much better than I expected! Speed was between 65-75 MPH, A/C on about half of the time. I did use the mid grade of gas this fill-up (89 octane), just to see if the Rav ran better... it did.
Jim I4 4WD base model

·
Registered
388 Posts
I4 4X4

Best tank: 30.0 (all highway at 55-65. Hilly Alaska Roads plus I took an hour nap with it idling.)

Worst tank 23.9 (maybe 50/50 with only light city traffic)

Average over 5500 miles: 26.9

I drive very carefully in town, time lights, rarely use brakes, etc. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, so I'm currious what my mileage does at -40 weather this winter.

Some day I want to try for a 500 mile tank. I think it's possible. EPA ratings are reduced by 22% for highway because nobody drives 48MPH like their test.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:) 2wd 4cyl all highway (60 mph) ....30.5
combined 50/50 26
local ...... 24 - 25

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
puttputt said:
sloop, ditto here about those who don't own I4 and can't see the poll. If you could post updates every now and then so all can see? Thanks.
What does this mean? I don't own a Rav4 yet and can see the poll results. All I need to do, as a registered user, is click "See Results"...

22-25 isn't bad...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Total miles so far: 2,921

100% City - 21.75 with tires at 31psi (and 20W50 oil)

Just changed oil to Havoline 10W30 (Energy Conserving). Increased tire pressure to 34psi. And will be driving about 65% City 35% Highway now.

Will keep you posted.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:) I did a summary of my mileage and gas receipts and with 2700 miles my average MPG was 26.46. The highest was 29.50 and the lowest was 24.10. I am very please with the performance of the RAV so far. V6 Limited FWD.

Although I have not experience the throttle lag issue I do at times feel as if the car is trying to accelerate as I begin to apply breaks at low speeds.

A few other points about the RAV. On recent trip I had an owner of a RX330 riding with me and they thought the leg room in the front was better than the RX, he is about 6'3'', and overall thought the RAV was just as spacious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts