Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I filled up for the second time and was trying to calculate my mileage, I noticed two things. First for those of you that don't know, we are not allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon :roll: Last week when I got my first purchased tank, after the initial dealer fill up,I asked the attendant to top it off so I could get an accurate mileage reading. He took topping off to mean round up to the nearest dollar after the hose clicks. Well that was only a few more clicks to the next dollar and I didn't say anything. This week I asked the guy to top it off and he asked me if that meant to the next dollar or as far as it would go. He was actually able to pump another $2.00 worth of gas in the 15.9 gallon tank after the hose had shut off. That is roughly another gallon of gas. $1.999 is what the cost was today. Well based on what he pumped in I got 23 miles per gallon on that tank. I don't think it is accurate though because of what I stated above. I will have to get the next guy to do exactly what the guy did today. Anyway, I was within a couple of miles from the station when the fuel light came on. There is approximatley two gallons of gas still in the tank when it comes on.
I put in 13.8 gallons. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
at the pump

sstarrx3 said:
First for those of you that don't know, we are not allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon :roll: $1.999 is what the cost was today. :D
Hell2TheNo, I would break the law before letting a gas attendant touch my car. Even though gas is .50 cents cheaper per gallon than SoCal. :evil:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you would be and it would end up being a very expensive fill up. The fine is pretty high, and you wouldn't be able to get away with it because the attendant would just phone in your plates :wink: You know it is perfectly legal to pump your own diesel though :?: Oregon is so freaking crazy!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
Well you would be and it would end up being a very expensive fill up. The fine is pretty high, and you wouldn't be able to get away with it because the attendant would just phone in your plates :wink: You know it is perfectly legal to pump your own diesel though :?: Oregon is so freaking crazy!!!
Evil State :evil: I guess, I would fill up at the California State line and hope I make it to Washington on one tank. :lol: Oregon is about 360 miles long... Dam that's going to be close :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not born here, but I have lived here since 1997. I have no freaking idea, other than providing jobs for teenagers. We are not the only state I have been told. I think I have heard NJ, has the same law, but don't quote me on it. It doesn't affect the price of gas though. Our gas is one of the lowest in the country right now. It just messes up the station owners overhead. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAVitUp, you could probably do it if you can control yourself on the throttle of that V6, it would be close though if you jump on it allot :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
NJ is the same way.. But when I take my GN to Jersey I do pump mine and no attendent ever said anything to me:)

seadragon said:
I have to ask...

Why are you not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon? Seems like a rather bizarre law.

·
Registered
458 Posts
sstarrx3 said:
RAVitUp, you could probably do it if you can control yourself on the throttle of that V6, it would be close though if you jump on it allot :D
That's like asking a junky to quit.

I'm jumping out of my skin just waiting to pick up my car this weekend. :wall I can't wait to feel the POWER. :twisted:

·
Registered
458 Posts
seadragon said:
I have to ask...Why are you not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon? Seems like a rather bizarre law.
I'll be passing through Oregon this summer to visit my sister in Seattle, so I just had to Google to find out why. :?:
It is illegal to self-pump in New Jersey. You must have a gas-station professional pump your gas and ring up your purchase. This might have made some sense in 1949 when the law was passed and when most of the population still smoked and stupidity could conceivably kill at the gas station. But times have changed and pumping gas is a safe activity that almost everyone but the handicapped can perform with the greatest of ease. Pay-at-the-pump technology is standard at gas stations coast to coast. Motorists fly through stations with the breathtaking efficiency only Americans can take for granted. That is, except in New Jersey and Oregon — the only two states atavistic, sadistic, and masochistic enough to still require thousands of "professionals" to waste time, money, and inconvenience customers.
So, according to Oregon and New Jersey. 17 year old gas attendant TWEAKERS are considered professional gas pumpers. Please don't tell me there's a school for this. :?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having moved to Jersey from Pennsylvania, I complained a lot about having to have my gas pumped. But gas is cheap, relatively, in New Jersey and, on cold winter days, having it pumped almost feels like a luxury. A cheap luxury, in this case, since our gas is cheaper than in a lot of neighboring areas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts