Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing an oil change yesterday and considering the stuff that I should start to replace now that the RAV is at 100K. Spark plugs are listed as a 120K item.
I thought I would pull a plug to inspect. The wear looks a little off. The ground strap has some deposit on it maybe transferred over from the electrode. The strap has also worn at a slight angle. I think I will be swapping these guys out sooner than later.

The OEM Denso (SK16HR11) plug is the best replacement option right?
20190902_162232.jpg
20190902_162241.jpg

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The OEM Denso are the long life. They have a longer life but you can buy a cheaper Denso Iridium that does not last as long called Iridium Power which is more cheaper. Depends how long you plan to keep your car.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM Denso are the long life. They have a longer life but you can buy a cheaper Denso Iridium that does not last as long called Iridium Power which is more cheaper. Depends how long you plan to keep your car.
I think the Iridium Powers are copper cores, and only good for 30K or so. I'll replace with the OE, we drive our cars till the wheels fall off; then put them back on and drive it some more. About $10 each so not too bad for 4. The NGK Iridium for my truck are $15-20 and I need six. The Motorcraft Iridium for our Explorer are only about $3 each. How can Iridium plugs be so different in price.

Was wondering why the funny wear on the ground strap though. And the deposit. I don't like that.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I think the Iridium Powers are copper cores, and only good for 30K or so. I'll replace with the OE, we drive our cars till the wheels fall off; then put them back on and drive it some more. About $10 each so not too bad for 4. The NGK Iridium for my truck are $15-20 and I need six. The Motorcraft Iridium for our Explorer are only about $3 each. How can Iridium plugs be so different in price.

Was wondering why the funny wear on the ground strap though. And the deposit. I don't like that.
The difference is the amount of iridum on the tip (.7 mm vs .4 mm). for the Denso LL and Power.
The Denso Iridium Power is made with a U groove ground electrode to create more power. The Denso Iridium LL has more iridiium for longer life and has a platinum ground electrode. I think both will go 100,000 miles but the LL a bit more.

The Motorcraft Iridium is probably cheap because it has less Iridium.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Using crappy fuel can easily gum up your plugs. Oil blow by can gum up your plugs. Your plugs look pretty good for 100,000 miles.
Definitely get the same OEM plugs that you had in your engine again. It's a no brainer to purchase OEM plugs when they last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following up on this post. What is the NGK equivalent plug and nay reports on how they perform. I am a fan of NGK and just threw 6 new ones in my truck. Time to think about the RAV.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am replacing mine with NGK iridiums part # LFR5AIX-11. 2009 I4, 2.5. I plan to replace the plugs in a couple of weeks. Vehicle has a bit over 112,000 miles on. I got these on E-Bay for under $15 delivered for 4 pack. The alternate # is 4469. They are supposed to be an exact match for the OEM's.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I am replacing mine with NGK iridiums part # LFR5AIX-11. 2009 I4, 2.5. I plan to replace the plugs in a couple of weeks. Vehicle has a bit over 112,000 miles on. I got these on E-Bay for under $15 delivered for 4 pack. The alternate # is 4469. They are supposed to be an exact match for the OEM's.
Ebay have a lot of counterfeit products so be aware especially when the price is much lower than compared to Rockauto.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ebay have a lot of counterfeit products so be aware especially when the price is much lower than compared to Rockauto.
It would cost more to produce a counterfeit spark plug than the NGK factory that is set up to make these. I looked these over and they are the real thing. LOL Price is a bit over $5 ea at Rock Auto, so about a $6 savings.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It would cost more to produce a counterfeit spark plug than the NGK factory that is set up to make these. I looked these over and they are the real thing. LOL Price is a bit over $5 ea at Rock Auto, so about a $6 savings.
You would be surprise they can make stuff cheap. Instead of iridium they may use nickel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You would be surprise they can make stuff cheap. Instead of iridium they may use nickel.
I'll let you know if I have any problem. Counterfeits are usually easy to spot, sometimes just in the print on the box is a clue. These plugs are made in Japan and used on dozens of vehicles. Hope to get past 200K with this replacement set.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I did see the LFT5Aix11 as fitting. Wanted someone to confirm.

You should check the GAP. From various reviews they are gapped wider (narrower?) than what the RAVs want. They were spec'ed as OE for another car. People claim to have regapped them to fit the RAV with no ill effect. However I was told to NEVER gap a iridium plug. Let me know.

I'll let you know if I have any problem. Counterfeits are usually easy to spot, sometimes just in the print on the box is a clue. These plugs are made in Japan and used on dozens of vehicles. Hope to get past 200K with this replacement set.
Be careful. There is MANY reports that NGK plugs are the most counterfeited auto part EVER, and that almost all cheap ebay plugs are FAKE. There are many on-line write ups on this topic. Yes you can spot the fakes. Though the print is exactly what a real NGK box would say on it, "made in Japan". But the font and the quality of print might be slightly off. Another report is that the tip is copper and not iridium (might be nickle plated). They will work GREAT as copper plugs are the BEST conductors. They will just not last as long.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks. I did see the LFT5Aix11 as fitting. Wanted someone to confirm.

You should check the GAP. From various reviews they are gapped wider (narrower?) than what the RAVs want. They were spec'ed as OE for another car. People claim to have regapped them to fit the RAV with no ill effect. However I was told to NEVER gap a iridium plug. Let me know.
Looks like Rav4 I4 require standard 0.044" gap so factory gap should be good. Unlike some Mazdas with California emissions and spark plugs 0.052" gap which impossible to find in real world in Canada for example.
You probably can regap them but only adjusting ground electrode with some small pliers. Just do not touch central tip.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am seeing those $15 NGK sets. Really tempted. Still running good for you. Have you pulled a plug to inspect.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought and received a set of NGK from Rockauto. They look good. Checked the gap and they are .044".

Was very tempted to get the ebay ones for $5 less. Read all kinds of fraud/counterfeit warnings and reports. Might still buy a ebay set just to compare.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Why risk getting counterfeit ones and have to do the job twice. It's not that much savings.

I'm sure your time must be worth something.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some family emergencies got in the way so job has not been done. It may not be until March but I'm combining several jobs including intake cam sprocket replacement to address startup noise. I'm doing the belt and waterpump replacement too. I made a thorough inspection of the plugs and they sure look real including chrome threads. The only thing that looks out of the ordinary is the outside box looks old, like it was sitting in a garage for a while (new old stock?).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just did the job this weekend with my older son (10). By age 10 I was swapping out spark plugs and doing oil changes for my dad on my 1976 toyota corolla station wagon. As I was changing out spark plugs on our Ford 4.6l V8 this weekend I was thinking that I should have my boys doing this job with me. How else are they going to learn. BTW that FORD was a PITA to change the plugs on.

So pull the boy into the garage the next day and 10 minutes later we were done. The EASIEST spark plug change I have ever done!!!! OK that 76 might have been easier if the spark plug job did not include the wires, dis cap, rotor, points and setting the dwells.

There was no noticeable change in the way the car drives. With the FORD it idles much smoother. In the last month 3 of our cars all got new plugs. NGKs in all of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts