Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing an oil change yesterday and considering the stuff that I should start to replace now that the RAV is at 100K. Spark plugs are listed as a 120K item.
I thought I would pull a plug to inspect. The wear looks a little off. The ground strap has some deposit on it maybe transferred over from the electrode. The strap has also worn at a slight angle. I think I will be swapping these guys out sooner than later.

The OEM Denso (SK16HR11) plug is the best replacement option right?
20190902_162232.jpg
20190902_162241.jpg

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The OEM Denso are the long life. They have a longer life but you can buy a cheaper Denso Iridium that does not last as long called Iridium Power which is more cheaper. Depends how long you plan to keep your car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The OEM Denso are the long life. They have a longer life but you can buy a cheaper Denso Iridium that does not last as long called Iridium Power which is more cheaper. Depends how long you plan to keep your car.
I think the Iridium Powers are copper cores, and only good for 30K or so. I'll replace with the OE, we drive our cars till the wheels fall off; then put them back on and drive it some more. About $10 each so not too bad for 4. The NGK Iridium for my truck are $15-20 and I need six. The Motorcraft Iridium for our Explorer are only about $3 each. How can Iridium plugs be so different in price.

Was wondering why the funny wear on the ground strap though. And the deposit. I don't like that.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I think the Iridium Powers are copper cores, and only good for 30K or so. I'll replace with the OE, we drive our cars till the wheels fall off; then put them back on and drive it some more. About $10 each so not too bad for 4. The NGK Iridium for my truck are $15-20 and I need six. The Motorcraft Iridium for our Explorer are only about $3 each. How can Iridium plugs be so different in price.

Was wondering why the funny wear on the ground strap though. And the deposit. I don't like that.
The difference is the amount of iridum on the tip (.7 mm vs .4 mm). for the Denso LL and Power.
The Denso Iridium Power is made with a U groove ground electrode to create more power. The Denso Iridium LL has more iridiium for longer life and has a platinum ground electrode. I think both will go 100,000 miles but the LL a bit more.

The Motorcraft Iridium is probably cheap because it has less Iridium.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Using crappy fuel can easily gum up your plugs. Oil blow by can gum up your plugs. Your plugs look pretty good for 100,000 miles.
Definitely get the same OEM plugs that you had in your engine again. It's a no brainer to purchase OEM plugs when they last 100,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
kevcules46
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing