Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another I am having.

I had my IAC valve replaced at my local dealer because my Rav would stall from time to time when it was cold. After I backed out of my driveway and started driving it acted normal. Except for some pulsating hesitation while I was driving @ 55mph on cruise.

Well since I had that replaced, I have lost a NOTICABLE amount of power from a stop. And I occasionally smell a gasoline smell. I also get fluctuatons in my RPMs while sitting. MOST of the time when Im idling (AFTER IAC REPLACEMENT) I idle at 500 rpm (PRE IAC) I believe I was Idling @ 1000 rpm.

Quite frequently NOW there are times when Im sitting at a light where my idle goes from 500rpm up to 1000 rpm and then back down.

Any thoughts on this. Did my dealer get me again. Cost me $100 deductible for replacement under warranty of this IAC.

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trust me on this one...

I went thru the same symptom on my '97... :doh: I thought it was the IAC too, my dealer thought it was the IAC but it wasn't. Have you got a check engine light on? If you don't, I didn't ether. Bottom line, my RAV had to die at the dealer for them to find the issue. As it turned out, it was a coolent temp sensor. It's reading was way off, it thought it was -40 degrees causing it to flood the engine, therefore reving the engine because of the fuel, but only every once in a while. My suggestion, it's got to be a sensor, got to run a scan, and it's got to happen while scaning to find out witch one. OR, replace the coolent sensor it's around $40 and easy to put in.

Hope the helps ya', this was a real headache for me too. :x By the way, I ended up going to the dealer 3 times myself when this happened to get it right. Hopefully this will help you avoid what I did. It's got to be a sensor...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I think I fixed my power issue. I was checking under the hood the other day and happened to find that one of my spark plug wires was not snapped on all the way.

Feels like it fixed the power loss and idle fluctuations.

Now gotta check the brake pads to see if those need replacing (From other posting)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts