Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fishing season is here, but my boat is not. :doh: It's being stored at my family's house another state away.

Since I plan doing some towing soon, I was wondering if anyone else has hooked a trailer up to their RAV. If so, what type of trailer and how did it tow?

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
I tow a 15' Alumaweld SuperVee LS, dry weight of boat, motor and trailer is 1800lbs, w/18gallons of fuel on board and all equipment, it weighs close to 2300lbs, have a Base 4WD V6 w/tow prep and factory 3500lb hitch, it tows just fine, the only issue was getting a ball mount that had about 4" of lift since the hitch is so low. No issues with handling or braking, it just goes down the road!!

One thing you might want to consider is a CoupleMate since you can't have the back door open when backing up to the trailer, it makes it real easy to hook up with punching the bumper with the trailer coupler. You'll also want to invest in a long ball mount.

T

·
0 Posts
What length ball mount do you use? I have found one with a 4" rise that has a 8 3/4" length. Think it will work??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the RAV handle the tounge weight? I know you said that ytou needed a 4" rise. Is there a lot of sag?

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
You'll need the longest available, mine is about 11" from the center of the pin hole to the center of the ball. If it's not long enough, there's no place for the rise, it will hit the bumper. A shorter rise would work if you don't want to get the ball as high. Mine's just below the level of the bumper, enough that I can open the door without hitting the coupler when the trailer is hooked up, can't open it all the way, but enough to access the rear area.

J

·
0 Posts
is there any way to protect my bumper from getting sctrach from the trailer thing?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
i dont tow a boat, though i do tow a 5x10 utility trailer rated for 3500 lbs and weghts in at about 750 lbs behind my rav since i traded in my pu truck........for a 4 banger the rav handles very well and i have almost no sag.........i mainly use the trailer to tow golf carts and lawn tractors back and forth for delivery purposes......

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
jamesl860 said:
is there any way to protect my bumper from getting sctrach from the trailer thing?
If you mean when you're backing up to the trailer coupler, click "CoupleMate" in my post above!

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
IN all honesty, I find the Rav to be a pretty poor towing vehicle. I never towed in a vehicle where every little bump of the trailer was transmitted into the driver compartment. Spent quite a bit on Dynomatt and other soundproofing material, which helped, along with a shock-absorbing trailer hitch. Still, it always feels like the trailer is banging into the car.

The transmission also loves to drop gears even though the engine is powering fine. VERY anoying on highways.

I guess having a full-size 4-runner before got me spoiled, for I NEVER felt the trailer like i do in the Rav. I really thought having the 80+ extra horespower and less weight would make is easier to tow, but I was wrong. I still like the Rav for the 98% when I'm not towing, but i got the V6 specifically for the towing which it doesn't seem to be tuned for.

The gas millage reduction is also greater with the Rav. I'll go from 23 to 19 mpg on the Rav. With the 4-runner, it made no difference, always 20+ mpg. This was using a 300 lb. motorcycle trailer, 2 race bikes, with a total weight of 850 lbs. Wouldn't imagine towing over 2,000 lbs. with the RAV, or at least not any great distances.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
antirich said:
IN all honesty, I find the Rav to be a pretty poor towing vehicle. I never towed in a vehicle where every little bump of the trailer was transmitted into the driver compartment. Spent quite a bit on Dynomatt and other soundproofing material, which helped, along with a shock-absorbing trailer hitch. Still, it always feels like the trailer is banging into the car.
Sounds like a problem with the hitch, receiver, or coupler (poor fitting or loose components) AND NOT rav4 per se.

antirich said:
The transmission also loves to drop gears even though the engine is powering fine. VERY anoying on highways.
Did you read the manual that explicitly states to tow in 4th? Overdrive is for fuel economy and not for towing.

antirich said:
The gas millage reduction is also greater with the Rav. I'll go from 23 to 19 mpg on the Rav. With the 4-runner, it made no difference, always 20+ mpg. This was using a 300 lb. motorcycle trailer, 2 race bikes, with a total weight of 850 lbs. Wouldn't imagine towing over 2,000 lbs. with the RAV, or at least not any great distances.
If 4-runner had the same mpg with and without towing, there was something wrong with that truck. You know, laws of physics are not flexible.

The whole post sounds like RAV4 bashing. I used to tow 2000+ lbs in Subaru (165 HP) and had a good experience. Now I tow it in V6 RAV4 and have a blast. I guess I was not spoiled by 4-runner. I drove 4-runner once and hated it.

One more thought: most problems people report with towing are user errors with wrong tongue weight, improper loading and similar. With trailer brakes, towing package, and external tranny cooler V6 RAV4 should be able to tow up to 4000 lbs with ease (I know, officially it's 3500).

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
you need to also remember there is a structual diffrence btwn the rav vs 4runner........the 4runner has a body on frame setup compared to a unibody design.......the hitch on a 4runner is bolted to the frame and due to the urethane bushings that seperate the body from the frame you get reduces noise and vibration........on the rav because it a unibody setup w/ the hitch bolted directly to the frame which is welded to the body you will feel every nudge, bump, and sqeel..........you comparing 2 completely diffrent vehicles...........if you purchased a rav for towing you might want to rethink our decision.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts