Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I had a totally miserable Thursday evening, a week ago. Long story made very short, I accidentially backed into my RAV on the street, about 1 MPH or so, must have hit it just right (or wrong) damaged the bumper cover, left front fender with related flares and trim piece around the grill.

The two places highly recommended in town came in with quotes withinn 25 dollars of each other, just over $2,300. I am sick with this, there is a lot to like about the RAV, good looking, nice handling, fairly comfortable.

However, I have driven the RAV quite a bit in the last 2 months, both local trips and one distance trip and I've confirmed one thing I suspected for some time. Even with the driver's seat all the way back, I don't seem to have enough room for my right leg to be comfortable, and after driving a fair amount, my knee hurts, now all the time. I only get a portion of my foot on the brake pedel because I have to pull my leg back so far

I am moderatley tall, 6 foot, but I feel this is not excessive. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so how did you deal with it?

Second, with this it has gotten me thinking, which is dangerous, of course. Is the 2006 better in this regard, it is some distance to the dealership, and I really hate going to look, I'd rather get some outside opinions first.

If the 2006 is better in this regard, I will consider selling the 05 to my girlfriend, but I've only done a cursory study of priceing. I don't really want to go to a larger vehicle, I like my RAV, sporty looks, otherwise fairly comfortable, and usually a bigger vehicle means poorer gas mileage.

Any thoughts or comments?

TIA
Ken

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sorry to hear this Ken,

I have heard one person in this group who is over 6' say that he fit's all right in his RAV. I don’t remember if he made some adjustments to the seat or not. I am 5,8 and all my distances are fine.
One thing to consider is that when cars are designed and ergonomic tested is that there is always the issue that some people of the same height may have different distances or proportions in arm/ leg length etc .....
I myself have to be careful when designing children’s products to fit a childs' hands, have proper weight and give proper leverage to components so that they are easy to push and pull.

As I mentioned in the past. I test-drove a Corolla and the car had many good qualities, but even after every adjustment I could make I still felt so uncomfortable.

Hope someone has a helpful answer for you.

Walt

R

·
0 Posts
Hi klmiller611

I'm 6'6 tall and that's the reason why I bought a RAV. It's hard for me getting into cars, even a Chevrolet Malibu was short for me. My RAV is not modified. I only set the driver's seat all the way back and down and the steering wheel all the way up and I'm pretty comfortable in that position.

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck Ken. :(

I am 6'3" and I too found the RAV easier to get into than most vehicles I have driven. I have the seat all the way back and down. And the wheel all the way up like the previous poster. For the most part I am confortable. On long trips I find any and every vehicle is hard on my knees. What really causes pain is those damn seats. They are so flat I have to regularly change positions. I can always buy new seats though.

When you say your knee hurts is it because it is actually banging against the console or more of a sitting in one place for too long kind of pain?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and getting into my fiancee's '06 RAV4 is a breeze for me. However, the seat doesn't go back far enough for me. But I like my legs extended, so others with the same inseam might not need as much leg room as I do. If you're considering purchasing an '06, I strongly suggest a test-drive! That said, I do find it comfortable, but I've never driven it for more than 30 minutes or so.

I LOVE the engine/transmission, by the way (V6)!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts