Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2013 Rav4 fwd XLE. 47,xxx miles. Really enjoy this vehicle except for one thing... there is a sound that is bothering me. Like a "rrrrrrrrrrr" sound that I don't know what it is. I'm concerned that it is something serious and I want it addressed while I still have powertrain warranty remaining.

It is not the tires. The tires do not have an aggressive tread.

It is not the engine or the transmission (I think). When I turn off the engine and coast at about 40 to 45 mph the sound remains. It is really bothering me because it is loud enough to hear it whenever we drive the vehicle.

We start hearing it at about 30 mph and it gets louder and quicker (the rrrrrrr accelerates) up to about 65 mph and at that point the wind noise drowns out the sound.

So what could it be? The dealer has already checked the wheel bearings and ruled them out. And, or course, they can't hear the sound. I'm attaching a recording. It is a poor recording unfortunately so I'll try to get another later. The sound becomes most noticeable at about 16 seconds. Remember, this sound occurs when the engine is off and the transmission in neutral.

Thanks for your help.

AlainSDL

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell where the sound seems to be concentrated?
It seems to be somewhere up front. Engine bay? Transmission? Wheels? I was hoping someone else would recognize the sound and know what it is.

I wonder if what I will have to do is ask if someone at the dealer will go for a ride with me so I can point it out to them. Do they do that? Go for rides with customers?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Have em check the wheel bearings, it wouldn't be the first wheel bearing failure.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
I couldn't hear the sound with my cheap speakers--all I hear is road noise. If it seems to follow the engine RPM it could be a bad bearing in the alternator, water pump, or belt tensioner.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
I thought it was the wheel bearings when I first noticed the noise. I had them check the wheel bearings. They claim that they are fine.
I couldn't hear anything other than road noise as well, if the sound doesn't change with engine RPM changes, only with speed, it's got to be something other than a belt driven accessory, your description sounds like a wheel bearing to me, I'd get a second opinion or wait until it gets worse/noisier so the dealer service dept can hear it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
AlainSDL--You said it was independent of engine speed, right? I haven't heard that sound on my '13, but I'd be looking up front on the drivetrain...driveshafts, axles, something hanging down and hitting something that's rotating, brakes, etc.

Some other random thoughts:

Are you tires worn weirdly? Any steering issues?

Anything stuck in the brakes?

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can`t really check wheel bearing unless it`s completely lose. Meaning if you have a play in it, then you can determine that it`s done. Wheel bearing can appear to be perfectly intact with no play in it, but still failing and making that metallic grinding kind of noise, almost gears alike.. hard to say on the recording if that is it. Maybe you can describe more what you feel and hear?
I got couple of questions thou...

1. Do you get slight vibration in the steering wheel, not even vibration.. it`s almost feels like grinding..
2. Have you tried making wide slight turns at lets say 40 miles per hour right and left and see if tone of the sound changes or disappears completely?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I took my car in recently because of loud road noise kind of hum that I thought might be wheel bearings. They checked it out and said my tires were cupped.

The tires had about 30k miles on them and I had been to the dealership every 5k miles for service which included tire rotation. I complained about this being the first I had heard about my tires being cupped.

Luckily Sam's replaced 2/4 tires at no charge so I got a new set of tires for less than half the cost (they gave me the whole $80 rebate for buying 4 tires).

Still hugely annoyed that this became an issue when they were handling my tires every 5k miles. Would have saved me having to buy new tires.

That said, I was just there for service and now they have testing equipment to check the wheel alignment. I had my wheels aligned right after I bought the new tires but this would have helped when my alignment went out after that. The tech told me that about half the cars that come in for service are out of alignment - our roads are horrible especially right in front of the dealership!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, I'd try and get a better sound recording. That one really did nothing for me. Based on your description of the noise and where/when it is occurring, I thought of the following questions/possibilities.

Did the noise come on suddenly, was it always there, did you recently put new tires on the car?
Does the noise change when you apply the brakes?
Is there any perceived vibration (in the steering wheel or in the car overall) that accompanies the noise?

Based on your information to date, it seems like it could be tire related or a wheel bearing as previously mentioned. Are all of the lug nuts properly torqued and tires properly inflated/balanced? Maybe try and rotate the tires (move front to back) and see if the noise moves from the front of the vehicle to the rear? I second ivan70's recommendation above to troubleshoot a potential wheel bearing problem. It's not 100%, but unfortunately it's the best you can do short of simply replacing them or wait until the noise gets worse.

Maybe there is a loose plastic cover somewhere beneath the front of the vehicle that is flopping around at speed?

Check the torque of your driveshaft bolts. Believe it or not, this is a regular maintenance item. I checked mine once. They were tight. I don't think I'll ever check them again. Just mention it as something to inspect.

It sounds like your speed interval is consistent with torque converter related problems discussed in these forums, but I'm thinking that if the noise happens in neutral it probably rules this out as a cause? Not sure about that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you about this. I was overseas for a bit and then got really sick with a bug I got over there - cost me a month of my life. Anyway, the "rrrrrrr" sound increased in intensity over the course of time and a vibration began to occur.

I brought the RAV back to the dealer and told them that I needed them to resolve this once and for all. They were going to send me out on a test drive with the tech to point out the sound to him but I guess he heard it without my help. Left front wheel bearing what completely seized. Here is the description the service advisor wrote:

"Left Front Wheel bearing faulty - Assembly is very rusted. Nut seized on the axle and the axle seized to the hub. Bearing seized to the knuckle. Forcible extract hub and bearing assembly."

I told them it was a wheel bearing months ago but they assured me that they were fine and that they couldn't hear any noise when they drove the vehicle. Then they said that it was the right rear wheel bearing and replaced it under warranty. But I continued to hear the sound. I don't know why they couldn't determine that the front wheel bearing was the problem months ago especially seeing as it was in such bad shape. Weird.

The great news... feels like we have a new car again. Dang! What a difference this makes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts