Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the problem with low and rough idle at certain times. 2.4L 4cyl engine (excessive oil consumption). Will likely go ahead and change the plugs since it's a new car to me, and clean the throttle body. Thankfully I've stopped trying to fix the IAC value the car doesn't have.

Once the plugs and throttle body are dealt with, is the idle learn procedure truly necessary? Wouldn't a general ECM reset be sufficient?

Thanks.

What do folks like for plugs?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
When you reset the ECM by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery, it defaults back to the original factory settings when the throttle body was perfectly clean, spark plugs were new, etc. It does take a little time to "learn" the new parameters, until then you will probably get a rough idle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dusting off this old thread:

I changed the plugs, and the ECM went through the relearn process. Dramatic initial improvement in the smoothness of the idle and engine performance. Those improvements lasted a week. I suspect that if I pulled the plugs now, they'd look as bad as those I first removed looked.

What can cause the fouling of plugs so quickly. I think that whatever that might be is the root cause of the idle issue. By the way, it's not as bad when the outside temps are below 65 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Dusting off this old thread:

I changed the plugs, and the ECM went through the relearn process. Dramatic initial improvement in the smoothness of the idle and engine performance. Those improvements lasted a week. I suspect that if I pulled the plugs now, they'd look as bad as those I first removed looked.

What can cause the fouling of plugs so quickly. I think that whatever that might be is the root cause of the idle issue. By the way, it's not as bad when the outside temps are below 65 degrees.
If it's the 2.4l engine the oil burning will cause the fouling of the plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts