Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I'm looking at replacing the radio in a 2017 Rav4 with an aftermarket deck, like the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. My wife wants Android Auto. What I'm curious about is what systems are routed through the deck, and what functionality we might lose if replacing. I'm looking at the blind spot monitoring, traffic alert, and anything else that might run through it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm interested to do the same too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at this as well. I'm looking at installing the new JVC KW-M730BT and using the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module and the iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2 Factory Integration Adapter. I think with those two parts I can keep the steering wheel control but I am unsure if I can somehow keep the factory USB port.

Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the factory USB on a 2016 Rav4 (Hybrid, XLE without the JBL system)?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm not so worried about the USB. It's those vehicle infos and settings that's on OEM Entune system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out the Astrium unit on Amazon. It is listed as plug and play.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The instrument cluster 4" Multi-Information Display will not work.
Also you will lose some vehicle settings via headunit. The Vehicle control option in the headunit.
See Owner's Manual. Page 693. Customizing vehicle features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait a minute, the instrument cluster display won't work at all or you just won't see the audio and phone data that it gets from the headunit? Doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't work at all since the rest of the data it displays it should be getting from elsewhere, like the odometer.

Yeah, simply because it displays the odometer means it has to work without the factory headunit.

I think the only thing you'll lose for sure is the few options you set through the headunit, like some light options and whatnot. But once those are set how you like them, there is little reason to need to change them.

Steering wheel controls should be connectable via an adapter cable and there will be a way to connect the USB port (assuming the new unit has a USB port), you may just have to do a custom wire job on it (easier if you just want it for power). Same with the aux in port.

Entune is such garbage I'm going to end up getting a different headunit as well. The bluetooth lag with Entune is ridiculous and unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Wait a minute, the instrument cluster display won't work at all or you just won't see the audio and phone data that it gets from the headunit? Doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't work at all since the rest of the data it displays it should be getting from elsewhere, like the odometer.

Yeah, simply because it displays the odometer means it has to work without the factory headunit.

I think the only thing you'll lose for sure is the few options you set through the headunit, like some light options and whatnot. But once those are set how you like them, there is little reason to need to change them.

Steering wheel controls should be connectable via an adapter cable and there will be a way to connect the USB port (assuming the new unit has a USB port), you may just have to do a custom wire job on it (easier if you just want it for power). Same with the aux in port.

Entune is such garbage I'm going to end up getting a different headunit as well. The bluetooth lag with Entune is ridiculous and unacceptable.

Did you ever replace your head unit? Did you lose the instrument cluster with the Maestro ADS-MRR?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I replaced my stock radio with a universal android unit. The only function of the MID I lost was the radio info. All other functions work as before.
That actually works on my head unit with the Maestro RR (head unit has a idatalink data port); the source (.) button and arrows work in the MID as well. The ONLY option I lost was the compass in the MID. I used the idatalink adapters to use the sharkfin for the gps and xm tuner, so no ugly extra antennas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on the cables/harness. Check crutchfield.com and when you select the head unit, pick the installation hardware, and it will tell you what features you will lose/keep. Most of the ones I looked at for my 2018 say I will keep everything (including backup camera) but most (if not all) will lose the xm radio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts