Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

2013 Limited RAV4 owner here. There is a good thread going on these forums about what we don't like in RAV4, so it's been covered quite a bit. I'm generally being sort of "meh" about my RAV4 at this point, and yet Toyota reliability is what I value a lot. So, with that in mind I'm starting to explore alternatives. I'm OK to go up *a bit* in price too.

Wondering what other CUV/SUV you have considered or perhaps exploring for your RAV4 replacement?

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Maybe a Kia Sorento V6 - can be somewhat pricier, or if Mazda ever comes out with their promised diesel CX-5 in the U.S. that also would be a strong contender.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most SUV's in the segment are a bit "meh" to drive as they all compete for the same fuel economy numbers. If better performance is what you are looking for, go for something with a turbo or V6. Hyundai and Kia have both options on the Santa Fe and Sorento. If it were my money, I'd go for the Sorento. It's just a better looking car IMO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
if you are OK with going up in price and size, then give 4Runner a try, take it for a test drive. I would get one myself, but already have FJ Cruiser :)
Taco, 4Runner - All Prado120 platform, they last forever. My ex still drives one we bought new, back in 2004.. 160k all original parts (except tires, breaks, belt, battery). Very reliable vehicle and fun to drive.

·
Super Moderator
11,014 Posts
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Kia Sorento V-6, Honda CRV Turbo, Hyundai Santa Fe V-6.
Certainly there are others.......

·
Registered
844 Posts
What is the reason for wanting to rid of the 2013 RAV4? Are you getting tired driving the same care for five years running?

We tend to keep our cars for as long as possible so I'd like to buy makes that are perceived to be reliable and easy to maintain (Honda/Toyota). So far, I haven't been disappointed. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a 2017 Hybrid Rav4 Limited.
In a moment of extreme covetous weakness, in a distant future, I might briefly entertain the thought of changing to a Lexus RX 450h. But I don't expect that kind of weakness to overpower my senses any time soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My next vehicle is going to be 4-Runner, I have a 3 mile commute now so fuel is a non issue. My old commute was 65 miles round trip and I did that in a Tacoma for over 10 years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring AWD Subjective, but handles and rides better with more horsepower. Very nice interior. My $.02

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. I owned Lexus IS hatchback for over 10 years prior to getting RAV4. Should've waited a couple of years instead of getting first year model. I think mid cycle refresh is nicely improved it. In any case, as I said earlier there is a whole thread on shortcomings on this forum.

I have length restrictions on what I can pick unfortunately, which is roughly 184". Wish I could do 4Runner but dimensions aren't cutting it for me. Wife approval factor on FJ Cruiser is just not there :) but I like it.

Looked into Mazdas but past spotty reliability scared me away. This being our only car I put that high on the list.

New CRV is 1st year model as well, so I'm definitely gonna skip that.

I'm thinking about checking out smaller Volvo Cross Country wagon. Santa Fe Sport is on the list too, we'll just need to see about the interior. Also keeping an eye on RAV4 Adventure too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wife has a 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 - for work & family / we love it.
- I will never go for a 4 cylinder ride
- and if turbo equipped, somewhere down the line, expensive rebuild
So its a keeper, for several years.

^^ Her replacement will be either a v6 Highlander or get our son's 2015 Lexus RX350...when he upgrades.
- I already have a nice 2000 4Runner SR5 v6 and like the older Gen3 styling & full truck frame 4x4 ruggedness

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I had A LOT of money to spend, I'd get a Range Rover. It's so cool and has a V6 supercharged engine. Way out of my price range though.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
If I had A LOT of money to spend, I'd get a Range Rover. It's so cool and has a V6 supercharged engine. Way out of my price range though.
Bah, Cayenne GTS (Red) :wink

·
Registered
160 Posts
The wife's lease expires in 18months, I'm already considering the Acura RDX, Highlander, X1, glc 300...$40k top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had the same dilemma. We had a 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 that we loved and had since new. Since it would be eight years in the fall since we bought the car, we started looking for a replacement for the RAV a month or so ago. We wanted to stick with Toyota as we have had great luck with the ones we have owned. We really wanted to get a new RAV4, since we had had such great service out of our 2010 and we liked the look of the car. However, we were really concerned about the lack of the V6.

We looked at the Lexus NX and we felt that it was too small, with less cargo space than the RAV. We were also unimpressed with the fuel economy given the size, plus I didn't want the turbocharger. We also looked at the Lexus RX and liked the car, but felt that it was overpriced for what you got.

We went back to the RAV and we really liked the car and all the features. We were prepared to buy one. However, when we drove it we just felt like it was underpowered. We aren't speed demons, but we feel we need the extra oomph from time to time on the highway and the RAV with a 9.3 second 0-60 time just wasn't going to cut it. At that point, we started to consider the Highlander. We drove the Highlander and felt that it checked most of the boxes. It was a bit bigger, but it wasn't underpowered like the RAV and a much better value than the NX or the RX, which it shares a drive train with. The Highlander has lots of room for road trips for us and lots of features at a somewhat (for 2017) reasonable price. It was more expensive than the RAV Platinum we were looking at, but a better overall value as we got more for not too much more cost. At the end of the day, we went with the Highlander.

Having said all of this, if the RAV would have been available with a V6, we would have gone with the RAV. However, I think it is Toyota's strategy to keep the RAV where it is and make you buy more car, such as the Highlander or up to a Lexus if you want/need a bigger, stronger engine.

On the plus side, my 2010 RAV really retained its resale value and I was able to sell it privately and get a good price for it. I sure hated to see it go today but it went to a good home and still had plenty of life left. Hopefully the Highlander will do as well.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but there it is.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
..............We looked at the Lexus NX and we felt that it was too small, with less cargo space than the RAV. We were also unimpressed with the fuel economy given the size, plus I didn't want the turbocharger. We also looked at the Lexus RX and liked the car, but felt that it was overpriced for what you got.
Having said all of this, if the RAV would have been available with a V6, we would have gone with the RAV. However, I think it is Toyota's strategy to keep the RAV where it is and make you buy more car, such as the Highlander or up to a Lexus if you want/need a bigger, stronger engine.

Probably more than you wanted to hear, but there it is.....
^^ Well said / totally agree.

Our son bought a 2015 Lexus RX350 new, exactly for the v6 and the non-turbo will be nice when warranty expires. SUV is for business purposes, so essentially a Highlander with more "bling".
We love our 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 / next vehicle will be a v6 Highlander or sons Lexus.

Local Toyota salesman said, her in Canada, the 2012 RAV4 Limited with v6 just got to expensive.
Few thousand $$ more, most buyers would sooner take the roomier Highlander with >> v6HP.
- so Toyota pulled the plug, on the v6, RAV4 (Gen4)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts