Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home tonight in the family 4x4 sleigh and, 3 mins away, I get a vibration followed by a clicking noise when applying the brakes.
I get out and check for ice inside the wheels or a flat or something obvious but nothing.
We go the rest of the way and I notice the vibration in the wheel and mostly on the drivers side. "Wheel Nuts" Feels like loose lugs.
I get in the driveway and the first thing I check is the lugs. Sure enough the Left front is loose. I can tighten them with my fingers. Lucky we made it home without the wheels falling off.

I know better. This is what I do for a living and even I put things off. Having your lugs nuts re-torqued after 25kms(15 miles) when service is done on your rig requiring the removal of the wheels is something everyone should have done.

Lucky this time. Stupid thing to put off. I could make excusses but really, no matter how busy we get in our lives we need to keep safety in mind.

If you haven't checked your nuts lately.......Get 'em checked guys.

Later. M. :oops:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mohit said:
I check my nuts everyday :twisted:
If you used a magnifing glass you might not need to check them every day. :lol: :wink: hee hee Just kiddin'.

On a more serious note, I just use a tq wrench and have never had any trouble on any vehicle over the years. One must always avoid the temptation of using a power tool like an airgun. They apply too much TQ and can warp a rotor, in addition to damaging the lug nuts. :shock:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I hear about you guys down under. :lol: :lol:

M

·
Registered
685 Posts
Funny you should mention the "25 kms rule" as I hadn't heard about it. But, I put my steelies c/w snows on last week and went to town the following day and after driving ~25kms decided to tighten the lugs again that evening. I got a bit on each lug so they obiviously loosened; my son has the t/w. Drove ~250 kms on Friday and checked that evening and they were still tight.

Marc, maybe it was my custom centers compressing :lol: :lol: :lol: (private joke)......

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I re-check the torque a few days after a wheel change but so far I have never had one loosen.
As for the airgun I find it useful for removing the lug nuts as long as you are careful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts