Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have your notions dispelled... the Dodge Caliber starts at $13,285 and fully optioned, climbs up to a stratospheric $28,985 out of the factory!

Available powertrains are all four-cylinders... 1.8L, 2.0L & 2.4L gas, a 2.0L turbo-diesel and supposedly a hybrid gas-electric (they're testing to see how many people ask for it first).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow! I actually like that car! The proportions look perfect. And for the first time, I think i'd consider that orange color. I wouldn't necessarily say the options are expensive. I'd just consider that the base price really is the base price.

One thing i grew to love about the rav4 is that you only pay for the options you want. You can pick up a rav4 for only $18k or you could spend more and get one for $26k. I think the pricing of having so many options separate broadens the market for the car in a good way.

Here's larger pics of the thing: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2211

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zoomie said:
I wouldn't necessarily say the options are expensive. I'd just consider that the base price really is the base price.
OK... Turbo-diesel is a $4400 option. Gas-Electric Hybrid is a $2900 option. AWD is $2600. Air Conditioning is $900. ABS and Cruise Control is optional at $350 and $200. The list goes on. You tell me! ;)

·
Registered
875 Posts
karrock said:
zoomie said:
I wouldn't necessarily say the options are expensive. I'd just consider that the base price really is the base price.
OK... Turbo-diesel is a $4400 option. Gas-Electric Hybrid is a $2900 option. AWD is $2600. Air Conditioning is $900. ABS and Cruise Control is optional at $350 and $200. The list goes on. You tell me! ;)
The Caliber starts at $13,285!

Don't think of the prices of each individual option. It means nothing b/c prices will be different depending on where you get the car, what's available on the lot, and other stuff. I had a choice between the rav4 i ended up getting and another rav4. the other rav4 did not have a $900 moon roof, nor $400 side steps. But the overall price difference was NOT $1,300 - it was $400.

A base of $13,285 is insanely low. you're getting an suv for the price of less than a scion xb. Wouldn't you expect to pay more for more stuff that goes into it? You can rack up the more than $6,000 worth of options and still be under $20k. Did you get your rav4 for under $20k? The Caliber sounds like a deal to me.

O

·
0 Posts
$4400 for a diesel option? for many manufacturers here diesel is a no cost option and even Toyota only charge £1000 for a D4D over a petrol. To be fair I would still pay more for a better quality vehicle and the Toyota in my mind is far superior to the Dodge. My theory is that the accountants make sure that all cars of any given size cost roughly the same over a set period of time, a cheaper purchase price suggests to me that the car will spend more time and cash being repaired. In order to ensure a low sales price the parts manufacturers will be squeezed, and so will try to economise. As long as the part passes the warranty period, then that is fine as far as the manufacturer is concerned

1 - 5 of 5 Posts