Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
The fix they offered was to try and cure the slow warm up and defrost problem. I was going to buy one and so have been tracking that for a year. Not the car you want in cold weather. The only things I have seen recommended is use premium gas, check your oil level every week, change the oil every 3-5k rather than 10k, and cross your fingers. Most reports are in the winter, then the thread goes quiet. There haven't been any reports of failures that involve replacing the engine on the multi-thousand message thread I have followed. But paranoia reigns. And owners don't like the solutions are all costing the owners extra money.
There have been reports of engine failure by owners that required repairs to the engine. Granted , they are few, but they are well documented in the CRV owner's group as well as on Facebook. In China, Honda had to recall all CRVs with similar type engine, something they did not do in the US.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
It depends on your needs, of course.

If you don't need an internal combustion engine, and you can afford to spend a little bit more initially, then the Model Y is a no-brainer.

I bought a Model 3 in September. It's the best car I've ever driven (I got my license 1n 1963), bar none, and the only knocks I have are that it's too low for me to get in and out of comfortably and there's not that much space in the trunk. Also, I made the mistake of ordering it in my wife's specified color combination and put her personalized plates on it, so now she thinks it's hers. ;-)

To solve those problems, I'm planning to get a Model Y for myself. I've been driving a 2011 RAV4 v6, which is fine for what it is: a fast little runabout, suitable for runs to Costco or Home Depot or parking in a "bad" neighborhood, or maybe surviving an eco-disaster if the electrical grid goes down. But even with MPG in the low 20's, it's now annoying to have to fill it up, change the oil, etc.

If we hadn't installed solar panels on the roof, I might feel different about the 2021 RAV4 Prime, which seems to be a step in the right direction. But what's wrong with driving a MUCH better car for zero-operating cost with zero pollution? Oh, and because I've read the forums on the RAV4 Hybrid, let me mention: no quality control issues, either.

PS: My Model 3 is the basic "Extended Range Plus" version, and it's plenty fast for me. (It wants to go MUCH faster than I ever should.) I plan to get the Model Y similarly configured since I don't need "Dual Motor" 4WD or any more speed. The Federal incentives are gone, but you can still buy an even more basic car than mine for a few $K less, just not on the Tesla website. (Use the phone or talk to a live salesperson.) The car will be the same but a few features and some extended range will be turned off in software, e.g. 220 mile range instead of 240.

PPS: The Forrester is also nice enough for what it is, but IMO there's no comparison except for size.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Because of the issues and recall... what is you top choice?

I am eyeing a Model Y or Forester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When I was shopping for my rav4, I drove the Mazda cx-9 and really liked it...good handling, quiet, gas mileage not great but either is my gas-version rav4 as it turns out...and the Mazda dealer was offering good discounts...for 40k you could get a fully loaded Grand Touring with basically all the safety features and creature comforts (plus real leather seating) on my rav4 Limited...if my car ends up on the recall list I’ll probably take the hit and trade it for a CX-9.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thoughts?

Cons I see:
  • starts just under $50K, but likely won’t get a decent trim for less than $55K. However, my ‘19 RAVh Limited cost $40K and change, and many here agree that various corners were cut by Toyota. Why not consider this as alternative to RAV PHEV, which will cost more than $40K for Limited trim?
  • Reliability. But is Toyota’s reputation based on past or present? I drive a lot and can’t say I’ve seen many BMWs broken down on road.
  • 1st model year. This comes down to whether one thinks Toyota vs BMW can more cleanly roll out an innovative new model, and how they would respond if there is an “annoying” issue like RAV’s fuel tank. We know how Toyota would respond. I previously would have bet on Toyota under theory that “hey, they have so many RAVs on the road, they’ll do something”. Now I’m thinking that Toyota’s high sale volume might be the reason they don’t address annoying, yet expensive-to-fix issues.
Check out Consumer Reports on the last redesign year (2018) of the X3...Overall reliability is solid red (1/5), which is “Much worse than average”. And the worst category, also rated 1/5’ is “In-car Electronics”. So first year rollout of the plugin hybrid would be a big gamble, reliability-wise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was shopping for my rav4, I drove the Mazda cx-9 and really liked it...good handling, quiet, gas mileage not great but either is my gas-version rav4 as it turns out...and the Mazda dealer was offering good discounts...for 40k you could get a fully loaded Grand Touring with basically all the safety features and creature comforts (plus real leather seating) on my rav4 Limited...if my car ends up on the recall list I’ll probably take the hit and trade it for a CX-9.
Mazdas are great vehicles. I would have gotten that instead of the Rav4 last summer, but I wanted a hybrid.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm actually looking into a Mazda CX-3 as a daily commuter. My RAV4 is quite large as a daily commuting vehicle and it is not easy to park on the street when I am going places for work. The only issue with Mazda is their DI engines. You need to keep an eye on potential carbon build up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cx5 seems so much nicer than rav4

Better 6 speed and the interior crushes it. Better quality too with all the rav problems

·
Registered
625 Posts
Software easy fix. Cracked blocks and bad fuel tanks?!

What's wrong with skyactiv?

Isnt cx5 ranked very highly by consumer reports?

·
Registered
266 Posts
A vehicle stalling at an intersection or highway is a major problem. Not a fan of cylinder deactivation. Not to mention daytime running lights on the CX-5 burn out prematurely. Infotainment systems stop working. Some CX-5 owners have complained about oil dilution.

I wonder about CR sometimes...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mazda had to recall 262K cars to fix a software bug that would cause the engines to stall. Not crazy about SKYACTIV.
Our Mazda3 with SKYACTIV technology has had virtually no problems (130,000 miles). Once the computer needed an update for flickering lights and the rear hatch had a TSB for some minor reason that I cannot remember. I ruled out the CX5 because I was ready to try a hybrid, and the interior of the CX5 seemed smaller, and the styling does not appeal to me as much as the RAV4. I may have made the wrong choice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am going to be checking out the CX-3 this weekend. I probably made the same mistake as the CX-5 was on my list and it was way cheaper than the RAV4. But like you, I was ready to go Hybrid. The CX-5 is really small. CX-3 is even smaller. These cars are for tiny people :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with hybrids?

They are more expensive, more complicated, and the fuel economy is rarely as advertised.

Mazda uses traditional 4 cylinder and 6 speed trans which are very reliable

On the other hand we know how unreliable Toyota has become

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am going to be checking out the CX-3 this weekend. I probably made the same mistake as the CX-5 was on my list and it was way cheaper than the RAV4. But like you, I was ready to go Hybrid. The CX-5 is really small. CX-3 is even smaller. These cars are for tiny people :)
If you were thinking about cx5 might as well include sportage. Same size, solid, turbo option.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have no obsession with hybrids. This is my first one and Toyota seems to be doing hybrids right. And the additional hybrid cost will be recaptured in about two years of fuel savings. I usually keep my vehicles 6-12 years. And I do sorta have an obsession with saving money and using less fossil fuels is IMO a good thing.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have no obsession with hybrids. This is my first one and Toyota seems to be doing hybrids right. And the additional hybrid cost will be recaptured in about two years of fuel savings. I usually keep my vehicles 6-12 years. And I do sorta have an obsession with saving money and using less fossil fuels is IMO a good thing.
Nah you don't have that obsession... Yet. If you do then you need to buy Prius that's where all the folks with that obession hang out

·
Registered
653 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with hybrids?

They are more expensive, more complicated, and the fuel economy is rarely as advertised.

Mazda uses traditional 4 cylinder and 6 speed trans which are very reliable

On the other hand we know how unreliable Toyota has become
I am obsessed with fuel economy for some reason. If i'd be able to roll the clock a year ago, i'd skip Toyota entirely and settle with the more gas hungry cx-5 or cx-9. What I've learned through the last year is that I rather have more confort and reliability than save 500$ of gas per year. 500$ worth the piece of mind and all the stress Toyota as caused me this last year. I've lost 3k going from my lemon Rav4 Gas to the so far so good hybrid. Yes I had a relay and front struts changed, but I can deal with that. Possible engine issues and never ending rattles are pissing me of., but then again, I rather deal with rattles than new engine lol.

On another hand, I am currently shopping an small SUV for my mother. We test drove the new Mazda cx-30 and it's simply amazing. Most quiet SUV I've driven in a long time. Even our 2018 fully loaded highlander hybrid at work is not this quiet. Mind you we test drove the GT model that cost the same price as a Rav4 Hybrid Le in my area. Seriously, my Rav4 felt like junk compared to the cx-30 lol Only thing it lack is power. It is slow and fuel economy for our 30kms test drive was at 9.5L/100kms. It's also about the same size as a cx-5, just a tad smaller.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I noticed after driving Canadian made and Japanese made RAV4s that the Canadian ones have all sorts of rattles. It drove me crazy. At one point the entire dashboard and all doors would rattle. The only way to fix it was loud music.

61 - 80 of 173 Posts