Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I noticed after driving Canadian made and Japanese made RAV4s that the Canadian ones have all sorts of rattles. It drove me crazy. At one point the entire dashboard and all doors would rattle. The only way to fix it was loud music.
I haven't really noticed this (yet?) and I drive on lots of gravel washboard roads. Could be that my hearing is not that great?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I noticed after driving Canadian made and Japanese made RAV4s that the Canadian ones have all sorts of rattles. It drove me crazy. At one point the entire dashboard and all doors would rattle. The only way to fix it was loud music.
Mine is Canadian made, it was rattle free for the first 2000kms, then they slowly appeared. They are all in the trunk, the weird thing is that they go away and come back, really depends on the inside and outside temperature.

Seems to be coming directly from the top of the hatch. I simply can't put my finger on it. It almost sound as if it's coming from between the roof liner and the outside metal. I know i'll eventually find it, but man it's annoying.

Another rattle is the door windows if they are half down. They vibrate but my japan made did the exact same thing and there is no fix the dealer can do and I have no idea how to fix those my-self.

·
Registered
266 Posts
on my 2017 Canadian, I had an intermittent rattle on the center dashboard brand new off the lot. Year 2, the rattle expanded to the entire dashboard, left, center, right. The rattles were very dependent on temperature. Year 3, the driver doors started to rattle. Silicon oil on the gaskets and seals did not fix the noise. Then the passenger door and finally the rear door started to rattle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Rattles present in all cars. Even when you think you got no rattles they eventually come and hunt you down. Toyota is no different. I used to take cars for rattle fixes all the time but you can't win rattle war.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Not my June built in Canada. Only rattles are the golf clubs I keep loose in the trunk. Nothing I can attribute to the car. Almost 7k miles and only thing I had done is an oil change that I opted for using one of my free ones on. Not that any free services are really free because of all the extras they want to add for dealer profit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regardless of all issues Rav4 hybrid will be my choice.
I was looking for a car to replace my 2016 Camry Hybrid XLE with gray interior. I really like it, but it does not fit well purpose of single family vehicle - small cargo capacity, zero towing (even you cannot use over the trunk bike carrier). SUV definitely will fit much better.
So, then goes to choices:
  1. Goodbye all brands with cvt (Forester, Rogue ...) and robots (Tiguan)
  2. Goodbye small turbocharged engines (CRV, Escape .. )
  3. I've drive cars with light colored interiors for 20+ years, so dark interiors not my choice - bye CX5 (No option of light exterior color and light interior, plus do not like white interior ).
  4. Last two cars was hybrids, so I've get used to smooth ride and low gas consumption.
So, final choices are Escape Hybrid, Rav4 Hybrid, Rav4 prime, Highlander Hybrid, NX200h, RX450h and Tesla Model Y.
Going further:
  1. Model Y - too costly 65K + CAD, Range in cold weather, whole electrical system in house need to be upgraded: electrical panel, charging station and new wiring to garage - I have separate garage, no light interior and good luck with charging stations up north.
  2. Rav4 Prime – almost same issues
  3. Escape and NX200h are small, also not a fun of Ford.
  4. Highlander too big for 3 person family.
  5. RX450h – nice car, but in base 58K CAD, costly maintenance and will require 8K package to get light interior. Plus you will be wondering about scratches, dents…
So, I’ve ended with ordering Rav4 Hybrid Limited with light grey interior. Gas tank problem - don’t care, I’m filling tank every week, not when lamp goes on. Only one concern now: how will be ride compare with Camry Hybrid? Camry extremely quiet, and no chance to test drive Hybrid Limited – local dealers have none in stock to drive. I tested 2019 LE Hybrid and 2019 gas Limited – didn’t like interior of Le and engine noise of gas model.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We may see nx200h redesign for 2021. Also you are forgetting that crv hybrid coming out. Perhaps we may also see some new EVs for 2021 like Nissan CUV.

Then there are several plugins from FCA Wrangler and Renegade.

81 - 100 of 173 Posts