Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I'm trying to remove the dash and it appears this part that surrounds the key ignition area (where i insert the key) is getting in the way. It's like a synthetic material almost as some kind of fancy moisture barrier.

Anyone know how to remove this "black circle piece" and put it back? It appears the other side is gray foam material.

Yes, i can certainly pull with all my might. I'd like to be able to put it back in place as well.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Remove the two screws holding the black trim piece surrounding the stereo. I know it sounds irrelevant, but this also loosens up the trim piece surrounding the ignition barrel. Pull the latter trim slightly outwards to verify that the "black circle piece" loosens up as well.
Then, you just pull gently the "black circle piece". It should be easy to remove. To replace it, just fit it in the groove and push it in place.

EDIT: This is the best picture I could find of its backside:

(http://www.rav4world.com/forums/mem...icture50306-ignition-barrel-surround-trim.jpg)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

If i remove the piece (is it called a Bezel?) from the "ignition lock cylinder", will i be able to replace the same bezel or it's a disposable type?

The gray foam on the back of the "Bezel" seems to rip apart when i try to remove. I'm so worried that it's glued somewhere.

I was just pulling with my hands.

Any special tool for this?

Does anyone know if this is an optional accessory? I don't see this on too many stock photos of 1999 RAV4s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a beautiful photo! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, a little off topic, does your dash clock work?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
My dash clock works.

The whatever-its-called is certainly replaceable. No glue whatsoever, you only need your fingers, just take care to pull the "foam portion" along with the "vinyl" one as a whole. Over the course of the vehicle's lifetime, I have removed / replaced the same piece at least four times. It is pretty durable (if you don't use unreasonable force).

Even if something wrong happens, you can always order this 5-euro part from the dealer and you're back in business:
#69573-42020

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch.

Has your dash clock ever stopped working? If yes, what was the issue and what was the remedy? Have you worked on the clock much?

Before i took my clock out, i suspected the soldering. Now that it's out, i'm not too sure because the soldering looks smooth. But then again, i've never soldered before.

I saw 4 springs that anchor and connect the circuit chip to the 4 electrical inputs from the power in the car. I thought maybe it's the tension because i've tightened it a little bit. The clock works much better than before but it still dies every now and then.

The spring reminds me of the spring in my key remote where i always suspected the battery, and it turned out to be the spring and never the battery.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Never had problems with it, low mileage (and subsequent clock runtime) probably the reason.

There are some threads here discussing clock malfunctions - replacement but the most useful solution I can think of is to rely on the clock of an aftermarket stereo!

Or try these folks if you can't obtain a replacement clock from auctioning sites or the junk yard:
Auto Clock Repair - Digital Clock Repair Services

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
I am afraid this is how far the disassembly procedure went. I only needed access to the switches' harnesses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts