Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been having an issue with my key only turning to the Acc position and thus the key won't come out. Leave the car for a few hours and it will turn with no problem. Problem is sporadic in nature but never when it is left for several hours. Tried different key and that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions before taking it to the dealer? Example: No problem yesterday morning, drove to blood drive - after 2 hours - no problem, drove to Sears - after 1 hour - no problem, drove to Walmart (about 3 miles away) stuck in ACC position, unable to lock door with other key so had to leave without shopping, drove home - another 3 miles - no problem - :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
To exclude one issue - the next time the key is stuck, put pressure on the steering column, left and right, not a steering motion, just push left and right.

PS: It is a good idea to put your year/model in your sig, or at least mention it in your posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition Stuck in ACC mode - Rav4 2006

Like pressing down on the steering wheel? Sorry first time posting - Not sure what model, only that it is a 2006 Rav4 6cyl - thought since I was posting in the Rav4 Third Generation (2006-2012) I only need to list which year it was.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Poster meant to turn the steering wheel slightly, left and right - sort of sawing/wiggling the steering wheel back and forth. Push in and turn the key simultaneously as you are doing this - key should turn and you are able to remove it. If it doesn't help - could be some debris stuck in the key hole itself (picked up link/etc. and somehow got showed in the keyhole). Ignition cylinder could be excessively worn out - especially if you have a lot of keys/other stuff hanging off of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since he said "put pressure on the steering column, left and right, not a steering motion, just push left and right". I took this to mean not steering - I have tried turning the wheel with no success.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also blown out the keyhole with compressed air & don't keep many keys on my ring - My Dad was mechanic and always told me not to have a lot of keys on the ring.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Perhaps there is a problem with the transmission gear selector switch not reading that the selector is in the Park position.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hmm. I'm assuming this is the factory key, not one that has been cut by a locksmith? Is there any play in the key slot when you insert / remove the key, ie. does the key wiggle up,down,side to side, in the slot? Does the key get stuck all the time, or is it intermittent? Has this problem been getting worse over time, or just got suddenly worse? Depending on the answers - I'm leaning toward this being an ignition switch / lock cylinder issue. They are not known to wear out like this, but when they do - that act just as you are describing. Another possibility, alluded to above, is the shift interlock causing you grief. Quick check on this - if the key is stuck, try shifting from Park to a driven gear (L or 1, D, R, etc.) back to Park - see if that releases the key. If it does, then it is the interlock. If not, likely the switch or lock cylinder is worn out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Factory key, no wiggle. Gets stuck intermittently - maybe once a day? Not getting worse and just started a week ago. Thought maybe it was doing it when it was hot but if that was the case it should have acted up after driving it home from WalMart where it did act up. I have tried restarting car and shifting but didn't help. The shifter does feel not smooth sometimes (from park), but haven't notice if it's related to the ignition issue. Felt like the plastic around it was off track. If it was the interlock would it just unfreeze after sitting for a few hours? Last week it stuck in ACC when I pulled in the garage and no amount of wiggling, turning steering wheel or shifting would make it turn off - went in the house for a few hours and when I came back out it just turned to off position with no trouble. It's why I originally thought it was the heat - the car sat for 9 hours while I worked - open parking lot but then sat in the garage for 2-3 hours allowing it to cool off.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Try pressing the shifter further into the P position by pressing forward on the shifter whilst trying to manipulate the key. You may have to press pretty hard. Don't mess with other shifter settings, the key is only released in the P position so it seems to me there may be a fault or misadjustment of the shift lever position interlock in this case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignition stuck in Acc Mode

Thanks - no problems the last two days after blowing out the key hole/ignition switch area with compressed air. :smile:smile Fingers crossed this was all it needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts