Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this article and
I am very very happy that I have safer vehicle even if I have all new 2006 4WD. :D :D :D
I hope 2006 is safer than models that the report used.
Btw, Rav4 had no roll over death at all !!!

I guess many already know this article, but not everyone.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/03/15/sr4003.pdf
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/iihs_safest.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/03/15/012250.html

Lowest Rates of Driver Death
Fewer than 30 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years (1999-2002 models during calendar years 2000-03)

Model Death Rate

Mercedes E class 10
Toyota 4Runner 4WD 12
VW Passat 16
Lexus RX 300 4WD 17
Toyota RAV4 4WD 18
Honda Odyssey 19
Mercury Villager 21
Mercedes S class 25
Nissan Pathfinder 4WD 25
Cadillac DeVille 26
Nissan Quest 26

Highest Rates of Driver Death
Chevrolet Blazer 2dr 2WD 308 ---> WOW! I will keep away from Chevy from now on. 8)

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
good find thanks but you gotta wonder how accurate these findings are.. Take for example the Ford Crown Vic and the Mercury Grand Marquis. . The EXACT same car except for trim differences. I mean exact same.. Inside you would not be able to tell what one you were in if I removed the nameplates.. Yet the Mercury did worse.. a LOT worse in all catagories. How can this be??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point.
All I can say is this was not from lab tests
but from real vehicles death report.
Dunno why the same vehicles got different death
at least Rav4 number shows something good tho. doesn't it?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have to remember ... the more of a certain vehicle - the more deaths will be reported just based on percentages. Its all relative with the exception of a few. I'm with "flyingn" on this one.....you have to wonder just how accurate these stats really are. I'm sure you could work the numbers either way and maybe make a case for city vs. highway or night vs daytime driving as well but that is not in there.

Its not always the car,,they don't drive themselves (yet) so the demographic who own these cars are high risk right? Well maybe not. We'll never know because on paper its black and white but the fact is that all these deaths had possibly thousands of other extinuating circumstances (not the spelling B champ) surounding them. Those weren't included in the report though.

Easier to blame the car I guess.:roll:

Later. M.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marcutio said:
Have to remember ... the more of a certain vehicle - the more deaths will be reported just based on percentages.
I don't agree.
Will you buy a Chevrolet Blazer 2dr 2WD?? I won't. never!
Pls read carefully below it's from the article.

How the death rates were computed:

Rates of driver death in all crashes plus rates in multiple-vehicle, single-vehicle, and single-vehicle rollover crashes were computed for 199 passenger vehicle models (1999-2002) with at least 120,000 registered vehicle years or 20 driver deaths during the study years.
Each model’s rate represents the reported number of driver deaths divided by the model’s number of registered years. Data are from the federal government’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System and registration counts from The Polk Company.
Among the vehicles, exposure varies considerably. For example, the number of registered vehicle years for midsize two-door cars is nearly 3 million. This compares with fewer than 300,000 registered
years for large two-door cars.
Because of this variability, 95 percent confidence intervals were computed with upper and lower bounds indicating the precision of the computed rates for all crash types.
The rates reflect primarily the influence of a vehicle’s design and patterns of use.
Because driver demographics can be a major influence, the death rate for each vehicle was adjusted according to the proportion of deaths of women 25-64 years old.

These drivers are involved in fewer fatal crashes per licensed driver.
For most vehicles the rates were adjusted by less than 20 percent.
“This is the first year we’ve adjusted the rates to account for some driver characteristics,” Lund says.
“The adjustment takes away some of the differences among vehicles caused by differences in driver gender. Other demographic factors still influence the death rates,
but more of the differences in the rates reflect the vehicles.”

M

·
0 Posts
Wow. That info really makes me want to get my Rav even sooner now. I am driving a 4dr chevy cav right now :( Kinda scary really.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Still Horse crap! This is a group that creates insurance rates for various cars and trucks. Its a glorified popularity contest and the winner is always the insurance companies. Check out the "Most Stolen" by the same group.

Example: (Honda Accord): More are stolen because it was, and maybe still is, the number one selling midsize car..... period. It goes without saying that if the numbers are out there then sure a whole lot are going to get ripped-off, but don't charge me more for insurance because I want to buy a good car! They can work their numbers all they want in what ever way they want but its all how its interpreted that makes us stand up and say "Wow I'll never buy a Chevy again!" Maybe the people who died were blond or pot-smokers or people who were always late for work. Are you never going to dye your hair blond or smoke pot on your way to work when your running 10 minutes late? Come on people. (I don't smoke pot for the record)

This is the same group that rates the RAV 4 as one of the costliest vehicles to repair for a minimal crash speed that tests the so called "five mile/hr bumper". If you know it or not ALL of us that drive RAV4's pay more because of this testing. Are we all going to crash into stuff?.....No but they assume we will and we pay upfront for it. I'll try to go back though my history and find the article I read the other day and put it on here.

I know this organization does good work too with crash testing but saying your going to die in one car or another is crap. Yeah some cars are safer, go by the ratings, but in the end people kill people not cars. We as a society need to take responsibility and not expect the car to protect us no matter how fast we drive.

SLOW DOWN PEOPLE AND THE CAR YOU'RE DRIVING WON'T KILL YOU!!!!

Don't confuse what I'm saying...I read the tests too before I buy and I would never buy a car that has a Poor or Marginal rating for crash tests. But categorizing a brand because some are crap is not the solution. In fact its part of the reason why Ford, GM, and Chrysler are going into the toilet. The watch-dogs out there are selling out the American workers. Instead of helping them through a design flaw they publish it to the whole world and then people go buy Japanese instead. Is that the American way?

I see the future. Too bad everyone else doesn't.

M. :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts