Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago, I had to trade my 2010 RAV4 in for a Toyota Sienna handicap conversion minivan. I have ms, walk with a walker, and had two parents that also walk/walked with a walker.

Since then, things have changed. I lost a parent :crying and I started to hate that minivan because I couldn't drive in certain areas with it. I couldn't go over speed bumps because it's floor was lowered 14in, and any time I went over a speed bump, or drove over pavement that was less than perfect, the van would bottom out. There were times I'd thought that I'd ripped the bottom half of the car off because it would drag, or make a big banging noise. I also hated the van because I spent so much time in it going to doctor's appointments with my dad (he's the parent I lost). The last time I drove my dad anywhere, it was to take him to the hospital for the last time. Just no real happy memories in that van.

Since my dad died, my mom and I had just been putting up with the annoyances of the minivan. My aunt suggested that while the van still had some decent value to it, I should trade it in on something else.

So I went and looked at Highlanders and RAV4's. Decided against the Highlander because it essentially was the same for holding two wheeled walkers in the back as the RAV4. Just a little longer, and $15k more. The RAV was cheaper, and had plenty of space, which is good because I have a serious love for the RAV4 model. My last two cars before that minivan were RAV4's. (I had a 1999 RAV4-L, and a 2010 RAV4 base model. My dad had a 2000 base model)

So, last thursday I became a RAV4 owner again, and got my dream car. Planning on driving this for the next couple of decades if I can manage it.

My '99 was a black manual transmission 4wheel drive (I really miss being able to drive stick shift!). My 2010 was a Barcelona Red base model 4wheel drive with automatic transmission.

My brand new, only-had-5mi-on-it when I first saw it RAV4 is a 2017 Barcelona Red RAV4-LE. My dad's 2000 RAV4 was also Barcelona Red. So, apparently I must kind of like the color. My minivan was worth enough that I was able to do an even trade for my new RAV4. And, I was able to take it up to the place I got my handicap minivan, and they installed my hand controls into the car for me. (my feet don't move fast enough to make driving the normal way safe). The Toyota dealership, and the handicap van dealership were awesome to work with. The manager for the van dealership had sent me down to that Toyota dealership because he's worked with them before, and said they'd be great for me to work with. They both coordinated together well to help me get the RAV4 and my van back up to the handicap van dealership to get the hand controls transferred. AND the handicap van dealer did the paperwork for me to get signed by the manager at the Toyota dealership so that I didn't even have to pay for the hand control installation. Apparently there's a rebate for that through Toyota when you put hand controls into a brand new Toyota. I'll be getting the $900 I paid yesterday for the handicap controls back in a few weeks.

I didn't get to drive my new RAV until yesterday afternoon, after a weekend of being car-less. (had to wait for a part). omg, I absolutely love this RAV4!

Even though I now have to schlep my way to the back of the car, and get my walker out of the back (there's not a powered liftgate on this Rav), I actually think this car might be better for me than the handicap van was. Since I don't have my dad and his walker to transport anywhere, and it's just me and my mom now. The Rav is easier to drive, and more fun to drive, fits better in the garage.

I do have to get used to carrying around a real key again. My van used a fob, and had a push button start. All I had to remember with that was to have it in my purse when I got into the car. Now I have to make sure I have my actual key in my hand, or at least in my pocket where I can actually get to it.

I'm so excited to have a RAV4 again! I forgot what it was like to have fun driving a car, and I love being able to drive over speed bumps again and not have to drive around them, or go extremely slow over them.

Not sure I like the lane assist, but I love driving a RAV4 again!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow, that is one heck of a story! Sounds like in the end, you are now far better off with the Rav. Sorry to hear of your loss and difficult time losing a parent. It sounds like your father had a positive influence on your decision, and I'm sure he is smiling as he see's how much you enjoy your new car. Congrats, and welcome back. :smile

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Congratulations, and good to have you back again, Erin! I remember your posts about your previous RAV and getting the minivan. Sorry about what happened with your Dad . . .

Reactions: ErinLindsey

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
Yep, ASA I saw the name and title I remembered your saga! So, a hearty WELCOME BACK. I'm happy for you :D but it's hard to believe you've been unRAVeled for almost two years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got done taking my little red Rav out for some fun, and making sure my hand controls don't need any more tweaking. Just wanted to get used to the car, and have a little fun wasting some gas. I wish the suicide knob I have on the steering wheel could be a little lower, but the bump on that side of the steering wheel won't allow that.

Didn't do much on my cruise around the neighborhood. Just took my mom a few miles west of us to see what new stores are up there. We don't go shopping much, or at all, because of having to use the walkers. It's been a few years since we looked to see what's been happening in the slow creeping westward migration of stores and people here in Omaha.

I went over every speed bump I could find, and drove down a few areas a couple of extra times because it's been such a long time since I was able to go over a speed bump and not be scared of ripping off the bottom of my car. I wanted to see how it handled, and if I can go over speed bumps a little faster than I would have with my van.

Then when I got home, I sat in the driveway for awhile, playing with all the electronic gadget things in the dash. I have no idea what everything does. I'm still looking for the triptik odometer so that whenever I get gas, I can check the mileage. (I don't trust the built-in gas mileage computer).

I put my first scratch on the car, on the inside at least. in the cargo area, the plastic above the right sided wheel well. I put my walker in the back, and it either scratched when I put it in, or took it out. Or the walker slid a bit sideways when I was going over speed bumps. I guess it's christened now. It's mine, I can't take it back. I've put my mark on it.

Going to be getting the undercoats and other stuff done to the car on friday. I had to make an appointment for that. I wish they'd done that before they'd turned the car over to me. Oh well.

I'm remembering just how much I loved my last two rav's, and my dad's. Hope I get to hold onto this one longer than all the others. I had my first one 11yrs, I'm actually hoping to have the 2017 till sometime into the 2030's. Hope it lasts that long.

my brother in law still has my first rav4, but for some reason it's not running. (wasn't the last time I asked about it). I'm pretty sad about that. Poor thing is probably thinking that no one loves it anymore, and it's dying from loneliness, and neglect. (I'd probably still be driving it if the ms hadn't hit me),

Reactions: Dr. Dyno

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, ASA I saw the name and title I remembered your saga! So, a hearty WELCOME BACK. I'm happy for you :D but it's hard to believe you've been unRAVeled for almost two years.
It's been almost exactly two years. A really really really really loooooong two years.

Every time I saw another RAV4 on the road, I'd tell my parents "there's a RAV4, I want it!". Or I'd see one like my 2010, and I'd start looking to see if it was my old one. Whenever I saw my old one the brother in law has (when it was still running), I'd get mad because he's putting all sorts of political stickers on it (he's a democrat), or I'd see all sorts of new dents, dings, and scratches. If I'd known my favorite RAV4 was going to get the crap beat out of it, I'd have used it for a trade in on the 2010 instead of giving it away. It might not be dying a slow lingering death in a garage then.
Save
Save

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
It's been almost exactly two years. A really really really really loooooong two years.

Every time I saw another RAV4 on the road, I'd tell my parents "there's a RAV4, I want it!". Or I'd see one like my 2010, and I'd start looking to see if it was my old one. Whenever I saw my old one the brother in law has (when it was still running), I'd get mad because he's putting all sorts of political stickers on it (he's a democrat), or I'd see all sorts of new dents, dings, and scratches. If I'd known my favorite RAV4 was going to get the crap beat out of it, I'd have used it for a trade in on the 2010 instead of giving it away. It might not be dying a slow lingering death in a garage then.
Save
Save
Well done. :wink

·
Super Moderator
10,224 Posts
Whenever I saw my old one (the 1999) the brother in law has (when it was still running), I'd get mad because he's putting all sorts of political stickers on it (he's a democrat), or I'd see all sorts of new dents, dings, and scratches. If I'd known my favorite RAV4 was going to get the crap beat out of it, I'd have used it for a trade in on the 2010 instead of giving it away. It might not be dying a slow lingering death in a garage then.
With all the abuse he's been inflicting on it IMO sitting in a garage unseen is probably for the best.

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
We have missed you and we're certainly glad that you have returned to the nest. Welcome home.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Welcome home! :smile

I can empathize with you about the walker, my spouse uses one and I am able to place it behind me without having to move my seat to make room.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome home! :smile

I can empathize with you about the walker, my spouse uses one and I am able to place it behind me without having to move my seat to make room.
I love my 2017, but I think my 2010 had more space for the walkers me and my mom use. We had been able to put the walkers into that one without having to fold them up and lay them down in the back. The 2017 is shorter in height. Seems like it's not as tall as the older models. If my brother in law ever gets my old 99 out of the garage and brings it over here, I'm going to see if I can compare the two models to each other.

omg, I just realized there's an 18yr difference in age between my old 99, and the 2017. The 99 would be considered an adult if it was human. The 17 is just a newborn.
Save

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I love my 2017, but I think my 2010 had more space for the walkers me and my mom use. We had been able to put the walkers into that one without having to fold them up and lay them down in the back. The 2017 is shorter in height. Seems like it's not as tall as the older models. If my brother in law ever gets my old 99 out of the garage and brings it over here, I'm going to see if I can compare the two models to each other.

omg, I just realized there's an 18yr difference in age between my old 99, and the 2017. The 99 would be considered an adult if it was human. The 17 is just a newborn.
Save
Yep - the 3rd. generation RAV has more cargo room than the 4th gen. does. Seems to be the trend for Japanese nameplate SUV/crossovers in general. Noticed the same situation with the Honda CR-V, and apparently with Subaru as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost wish I'd gotten a 3rd gen RAV because of more space, but I think I'm going to have fun with my 2017. I've never had a brand new, new car, All my previous cars have been used, or a hand-me-down from a parent.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I almost wish I'd gotten a 3rd gen RAV because of more space, but I think I'm going to have fun with my 2017. I've never had a brand new, new car, All my previous cars have been used, or a hand-me-down from a parent.
There's nothing like the experience of having a new vehicle, especially if as in your situation it is your first new car. Also your new RAV has a good warranty and RAVs have a very good reliability record, which means peace of mind. Enjoy your new RAV, and keep us up to date!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts