Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back! I have no idea how long it's been, but I know it's been a long time. So many new members, I doubt too many of you remember me, but I'm Sam, I'm from FL, and I USED TO BE (yes, used to be) a Toyota Master Tech. I've since worked for Chevy, gained ASE master status, and now I'm working (pretty much for myself) at a independent repair shop after having to go through a major life change.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm back for those of you that remember me ;)

The RAV4 is still going strong, though it's not in its best condition mechanically currently (money issues, gotta love it). I just recently put a set of brand new 17"Avalon wheels wrapped in 235/55/17 Michelins. No, I still haven't lowered it. No, I still haven't gotten around to doing the 3S-GTE swap. NO, I still haven't painted it or put in the new headlights, but YES I did finally swap ALL the dash and interior bulbs to LEDS!!! (though in retrospect, putting super high output LEDS in my dash turn indicators was a VERY bad idea that I'm too lazy to correct).

Now, I won't be on here every day 24/7, but I am here for anyone that needs any mechanical questions answered. I'll be browsing the forums for time to time, and feel free to message me any questions. Nice seeing you all again :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Welcome back. OK I recently had to change the main 100AMP fuse which is next to the positive battery terminal.
you go. I replaced it and my RAV4 fired up instantly. Also, I did the Derek Ground wire installation with 4 gauge Red wire.

But know I have another problem. The AEM Air/Fuel ratio gauge is not working. Any suggestions? Could it might affected this gauge in any way. Following the installation diagram I thing it only has two wires but regarding electrical system I'm very Patrick Star stupid.

Thanks for any suggestion.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Welcome back, Drifter! Those Avalon rims look VERY nice!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@mensajero, Hey man! How have you been? I didn't expect to still see you on the forums lol. Ok, so define not working. Does the gauge turn on, and it's not reading correctly, or is it completely dead? Blowing the alternator fuse usually causes a lot of other electrical problems since usually that means there is an internal problem with the alternator. Having any other problems?
@JuneBug, Thanks man! yeah I actually traded them for some automotive labor. Guy had bought a new Avalon that had the optional BBS wheels on it, but the dealer gave him 4 BRAND NEW Avalon wheels with the car, still sealed in box when he gave them to me. I had my doubts about them, but they looked great with the bigger tires. Now I just need to find time to lower it.
@RavRacer, that's not by choice haha. When I was living in Orlando, someone decided they wanted my spare tire bracket more than I did, so they took it. I didn't have a tire on it at the time (I had a flat, was using the spare). Came out to head to school one morning, and it was gone. I DO like the way it looks though. I've even thought about getting some sheet metal and re-skinning the door to get rid of the spare tire part.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
@mensajero , Hey man! How have you been? I didn't expect to still see you on the forums lol. Ok, so define not working. Does the gauge turn on, and it's not reading correctly, or is it completely dead? Blowing the alternator fuse usually causes a lot of other electrical problems since usually that means there is an internal problem with the alternator. Having any other problems?
@JuneBug , Thanks man! yeah I actually traded them for some automotive labor. Guy had bought a new Avalon that had the optional BBS wheels on it, but the dealer gave him 4 BRAND NEW Avalon wheels with the car, still sealed in box when he gave them to me. I had my doubts about them, but they looked great with the bigger tires. Now I just need to find time to lower it.
@RavRacer , that's not by choice haha. When I was living in Orlando, someone decided they wanted my spare tire bracket more than I did, so they took it. I didn't have a tire on it at the time (I had a flat, was using the spare). Came out to head to school one morning, and it was gone. I DO like the way it looks though. I've even thought about getting some sheet metal and re-skinning the door to get rid of the spare tire part.
Regarding the Gauge, its completely dead because there is no reading. at all

·
Registered
609 Posts
mensajero
Did you check the 10 amp fuse on the red wire? I peaked at the manual.
Check the black wire to see if it is still connected to ground.
Also check to see if you have power at the fuse.

An common problem with aftermarket equipment is poor connections. Upgrading the ground or chasing your other electrical problem may have loosened a connection.
Odds are that you are looking at the wires on the 4-pin connector.

Reactions: mensajero

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mensajero the only advice I can give you there is to start by checking for power at the gauge. If there is no power there, trace all your wiring and make sure nothing burned up and all the wiring connections and any fuses are good, including ALL the other fuses (specifically the one you tapped for power to the gauge). IF there is power, check for ground. If there is a ground, then it's going to be a problem in the gauge itself.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said ^^^ lmao

1 - 9 of 9 Posts