Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I hate to start my 1st post with frustration but that's what I'm going through right now. :( I got Barcelona Red base 4x4 for my wife little less than a month ago from the dealer where my brother's friends work as some manager there. Everything was going smooth, I liked the car even though I didn't like the color personally but it's my wife's car , my opinion doesn't count even though I'm paying for it. :) I had to leave the room to make my bored 3 year old daughter happy and by the time I came back, they were talking about alarm and we decided to get it. So, they had us come back coming Thursday to drop it off and pick it up on Friday since it's about 100 mile round trip there and we both worked. On Friday, he calls and said somebody ordered wrong parts and it can't be done till Monday so he asked me if I wanted to pick up the car and come back on Monday. Since it's long drive and we had rental car, I told him we'll just pick up the car on Monday. Monday came and I went there right after the work and picked up the car which it was around 8:30-40. Me and my wife decided to go eat something since we couldn't eat dinner so we decide to meet at the chinese restaurant close by. As I was driving, I heard this vibration moise coming from the dash and/or under the dash. I figured it was loose wire touching something but at the same time, it also sounded like electrical noise. I called my brother's friend right away asking him if it is ok to take the car to the dealer close to our house which is about 15 minutes away rather than 1hr and 20 minutes away. He said yes and that was that. Following day my wife called the dealer and they said they are not going to work on it since it was installed by other dealer. That kinda made me mad since it was brand spanking new toyota car(only had 1 mile on it when we bought it), new toyota alarm that was installed by toyota tech. Everything was done by toyota and it should of been covered by any toyota dealer but I just didn't want to deal with headache and decide to go to other deal that is about 30 miles away from our home. Dropped the car at night(we both work so we don't have time to drop it off during day time) and we received call following day saying it's finished. I went there around 8pm to pick up the car and soon as I started drive away the car, I hear that noise again. Fine, I'm little irritated but since the service is closed and my wife need a car to go to work, I told them the problem is not fixed and they gave me a card for their service manager. Later, I looked at mile and it was about 40miles less than last time at half tank. Damn those tech! He probably punch the gas. :( Couple of days later my wife dropped car off again and got free rental car which was peice of crap. Later that day my wife IMed me saying they could not find the problem and 3-4 different Tech drove it. At this point, I started get pissed off. They wanted one of us to be there with them to show them the problem. My wife had to pick up the car and went there again couple of days later. All this times that my wife was going there, she had to use her vacation time and sick days to make it up. So, my wife is there with 2 people and one of them say he doesn't hear anything but other one said he can here it but we have to bring the car back later time to get it fixed. WTF!!!!!! At this point I'm getting really pissed off and my wife is stopping me from calling them or going to the dealer. Fine, I cool myself but anytime my wife say anything about that car I got angry. Now, my wife dropped car again yesterday early in the morning. Around 3-4pm my wife calls me up again saying they said they need one more day. Obviously our car isn't there priority. Today is the day that I'm goingto the dealer and pick up the car. I really wouldn't know what to do if I hear it again. I mean as short time we had, 1/3 of the time was spent in the dealer, wasted gas $$ to get there, our schedule got all messed up since we got the car, racking up miles going to the dealer,had to use up vacation days, frustration, anger, I also don't like the fact they are taking parts apart around the dash so many times. Now that I browse around here finding that recliner has problem. That I still have to see. @#&*(^*&[email protected]#()*&#$ As I was finising this, I just received call from my wife that dealer told her that they could not locate the issue and they decide to look at other new rav4 they have and take it apart and found out that it made same noise and it's normal. #@(*(!*@#$&(*%# Do you guys have same problem? Sometimes you can hear it when driving but most of times it happens idling or if you are stepping on the brake. and it sounds like something is hitting something like vibrating noise. not too loud but enough to notice and annoy the hell out of you. Thanks

P.S. They also said that we probably didn't notice until they installed alarm and it was probably making that noise all along. I can swear I didn't hear it before as I'm really senstive about those kinda things.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The culprit is probably something that was not tightened down properly during the installation of your "factory" alarm. What the dealer tech needs to do is retrace the steps that they did in installing your alarm and make sure that everything is secured properly. It is probably a loose wiring harness or interior panel that is loose and hitting another part of the car. Sorry to hear about your misfortune :cry: , mechanics are not trained properly in identifying and problem solving strange noises. :?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I believe they have to remove the panel underneath the steering column and the lower steering column cover to install the alarm. I had a minor rattle too when they install my VIP alarm, it turn out to be the diagnostic connector not inserted into the panel, I fix it myself. Toyota dealers unlike Lexus are not too interested in fixing rattles, on my last few vehicles, I got sick and tired of the dealer telling me that they didnt notice anything wrong or that some rattling was normal, I ended up fixing alot of the rattles myself.

Good Luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
recliner has the problem? :).
Unfortunatly, if one dealership screws accessory installation, I dont think another dealer can "fix" it under warranty.

I doubt it is an electrical problem, they probably didnt tighten some wire properly and thats it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick reply guys. They said have retraced everything and that was 3 diffrent visits. Do you guys hear this rattle though? Since now dealer is saying it's normal and it happens to other Rav4 that they have? I doubt it since if it is, it should rattle all the time but it happens ramdomly and I believe that no car maker would bring new car out that makes intensional rattle like this.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its NOT normal. Contact the general manager of the dealer and let HIM (or her) know the whole stoty. Go for a test drive in another raqv and prove to them that is most definetly NOT normal. I feel bad for you.. And NEVER go back to that dealer and write a letter to the owner of the dealer AND the Toyota zone office explaining all that you have gone thru..

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just received call from my wife again and she said she received a call from service manager and he told her they tested 3 different Rav4 and it's coming from brake booster. He said He can duplicate the issue if I come in where when he disconnected brake booster, it no longer made that noise but made noise again when he connected it. There's ball there that moves around that is making that sound and it's made that way. It could be true but like I said before, I don't believe that any car makers intentionally would do that. Also, I never had a car that brake booster making that kind of noise or any kind of noise at all. Do you guys have same noise coming from brake booster?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D flyingn, I just noticed you are from Philly. I bought mine from Champion(Sloan) Toyota. :) on Castor Ave.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
NO WAY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats where we got ours!!! Edward was our salesman!!
What color is yours? I saw a guy the other week with a white one in for service. Was that you??>

Ok I see you have a Red one like me. I saw yours when we picked up ours. Jan 3 is th eday we got ours..

Now I know that I am NOT letting them install my alarm. I know ours does NOT make any noise.

Let me know if you want me to take a look at yours.. Where do you live? PM me

HaxEJxuK said:
:D flyingn, I just noticed you are from Philly. I bought mine from Champion(Sloan) Toyota. :) on Castor Ave.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I look back, I kinda regret getting the alarm, especially that we are having this issue and only thing dealer saying is it's coming from brake booster and it's normal. If we haven't got the alarm and they haven't installed it, I didn't have to go through all these. I have no idea what to do now. I could just say just forget about it and just deal with annoying noise and live with it or talk to corp. and exhuast myself out. I'll think about it tomorrow as I'm too exhuasted to think about it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
you just paid well over $25k for a vehicle. And your not happy. You better do somethung about it.. Talk to the general manager. She called me after the sale and asked if there was anything she could do for me.. She seems very insterested in making me happy. I sugust you see her

1 - 12 of 12 Posts