Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time I've been placing my spare tire inside of my RAV4. Why? I removed the tire from its original position because I notice that the rear hinges were kind of rattling a little. I was advised to remove it because the Bilstein sport shocks were hard, and all the weight and vibration was loosening the door by the weight of the tire as it hanged. I went to eBay and bought this artifact. I'll remove the rug and install it in a way that for any reason I have to remove I will just loosen a few screws and I'm good. In the picture, it's upside down. The square part will be modified. it will look like a slanted tire in the place of the rear seats, which I removed years ago. Then just reinstall the rug accordingly. It's better than having the tire in the back taking up space and sometimes tools and stuff get under it. What do you guys think. As soon and I install it, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Another Mensajero mod! Look forward to seeing the pictures when done.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, it has come to this. I was looking at the rear slanted bar kit and like always, there is always a shorter path to the goal. Doing almost $200.00 plus shipping, well, right now, I have a better idea. I'm going to spend about $50.00 (maybe less), and I'm going to make one. The most important this is that I already have some of the parts. I bought a 90-degree mandrel bent pipe and I looked at it. I would just need, two 2 1/4 pipes and the most important and most difficult part, the hanger. It has to fit under the tire, and not be seen. Hmmm, 💡 I got it!!

I have it already, I just have to weld it up on the pipes, or bolt it on. The best part it has the studs in the exact place to place it. The OEM rear door tire hanger.

I bought three 5X5, 1/4 thick steel back up plates and screws. The installation will be in a few weeks. Like always, will take pictures and whatnot.

See what I mmean.

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the "U" pipe is in, and the project "Slanted Indoor Tire Hanger" parts are almost all in. Just missing the three 5X5, 1/4 thick steel back up plates are in by Saturday. I just test fitted the "U" pipe and it fit like a glove. Saturday, I'll buy two cans of black gloss Urethane Paint. BTW, the two pipes you see were in a corner of the garage. So far, I've spent about a whopping $38.64

Now, I have to remove the rear rug and test fit, mark and cut all the pipes. Once everything is welded together, I'll paint it and install it. Oh, I almost forgot. Professor Rivera, the welder, charges me a six-pack and a pizza. Add to the total, $20.00. That is $58.64. A lot cheaper than $189.99 plus shipping to PR.🇵🇷 I will post pictures and procedure ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts