Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wanted to introduce myself and my Yota "Blue Steel". I was looking for a 4 cylinder 4x4 or AWD with a manual trans and unexpectedly ran into this Beauty. I was not really considering Ravs due to lack of knowledge but have been very happy with the purchase. Here is where we are at

96 Rav4 130k AWD man trans w/ rear LSD
$2,000 Maintance
Valve Cover Gaskets $42.55 Diff, Trans, T-case fluid $27.95 T-belt, tensioners, seals & T-stat
$788.36 Fuel filter $30.46 A/F $4.98 Spark plugs $27.28 Distributor Cap/Rotor $23.40 Plug Wires 40.38 PVC valve/gromet $11.60 TIRES 225/70/16 COOPER A/T $560.00

Repairs
R/F Axle w/Seal $63.99 Rear Diff support $100.03

Add Ons
Trailer Hitch & wiring $149.09 4 Polk marin speakers $123.00 Pioneer Head unit $170.00 4 LED lights w/wiring,Fuses & switches (not intstalled!) $95.00 Yakima Roof Rack & Spare tire 2 bike carrier $160.00!!! Used Optima Yellow Top Free!!

Needs Attention
-exhaust leak (most likely manifold seal?)
-high idle when cold(linked to exhaust leak?)
-minor thump when disengaging clutch(drive shaft supports?)
-minor vibration when at idle(weak motor mounts)

Mods to come
-install two front LED lights one rear & one utility with 20ft cord
-install CB radio, whip and wiring
-DIY ground wire upgrade
-suspension rebuild w/lift (factory suspension still tight and in good shape!)
-custom front bumper w/trans & oil pan guard

View attachment 58641

View attachment 58649

Still have $$$$ left over from Tahoe but recently quit my dealership job to work on home business and farming aspirations. This means i will do most of the work myself and spend money wisely. Thanks for reading and I look
forward to the 4.1 forum.
:cheers:

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like the RAV has been bought as a hobby project since there is quite a large amount of cash being spent on repairs and mods. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wanted to introduce myself and my Yota "Blue Steel". I was looking for a 4 cylinder 4x4 or AWD with a manual trans and unexpectedly ran into this Beauty. I was not really considering Ravs due to lack of knowledge but have been very happy with the purchase. Here is where we are at

96 Rav4 130k AWD man trans w/ rear LSD
$2,000 Maintance
Valve Cover Gaskets $42.55 Diff, Trans, T-case fluid $27.95 T-belt, tensioners, seals & T-stat
$788.36 Fuel filter $30.46 A/F $4.98 Spark plugs $27.28 Distributor Cap/Rotor $23.40 Plug Wires 40.38 PVC valve/gromet $11.60 TIRES 225/70/16 COOPER A/T $560.00

Repairs
R/F Axle w/Seal $63.99 Rear Diff support $100.03

Add Ons
Trailer Hitch & wiring $149.09 4 Polk marin speakers $123.00 Pioneer Head unit $170.00 4 LED lights w/wiring,Fuses & switches (not intstalled!) $95.00 Yakima Roof Rack & Spare tire 2 bike carrier $160.00!!! Used Optima Yellow Top Free!!

Needs Attention
-exhaust leak (most likely manifold seal?)
-high idle when cold(linked to exhaust leak?)
-minor thump when disengaging clutch(drive shaft supports?)
-minor vibration when at idle(weak motor mounts)

Mods to come
-install two front LED lights one rear & one utility with 20ft cord
-install CB radio, whip and wiring
-DIY ground wire upgrade
-suspension rebuild w/lift (factory suspension still tight and in good shape!)
-custom front bumper w/trans & oil pan guard

View attachment 58641

View attachment 58649

Still have $$$$ left over from Tahoe but recently quit my dealership job to work on home business and farming aspirations. This means i will do most of the work myself and spend money wisely. Thanks for reading and I look
forward to the 4.1 forum.
:cheers:
WELCOME !!!

Pictures ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
]I may be mistaken on the LSD... had read when rear wheels are off the ground and spun they will turn opposite directions when you have LSD. I have some crappy photos I will try to post up and will work on a photo shoot when its a little dirtier. Apologies for the slow reply I just returned from a long backpacking trip in the Ouachita National Forest. Thanks for reading!
20151019_085829.jpg

20151019_085732.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
With the OEM Torsen LSD that was offered for the rav the wheels will spin in opposite directions when off the ground.
It will act just like an open diff until there is slippage, then the mechanical (torque sensing) LSD will engage.

LSD in a Rav is rare. It was an option, I read in some thread on here something about the sticker on the inside of the door jam that has the axle code for LSD or not. 02A would be LSD, 01A is open IIRC.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome.

Beautiful vehicle !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Late reply as its been awhile since you posted CampinTexan. But you mentioned "-high idle when cold(linked to exhaust leak?"

From what I have read on here that is probably from your Idle Air Control just needing a good cleaning. Someone did a good write up on it here "http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/66739-illustrated-idle-air-control-iac-cleaning-instructions.html"

Or there is a good youtube video here

https://youtu.be/KTS63f8MVUw

This fixed the high idle issue I was having with mine. Looking forward to seeing your ride with the completed mods/repairs!

·
Registered
193 Posts
LSD

With the OEM Torsen LSD that was offered for the rav the wheels will spin in opposite directions when off the ground.
It will act just like an open diff until there is slippage, then the mechanical (torque sensing) LSD will engage.

LSD in a Rav is rare. It was an option, I read in some thread on here something about the sticker on the inside of the door jam that has the axle code for LSD or not. 02A would be LSD, 01A is open IIRC.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I need some clarification if you or anyone else in the know can help. So if you lift it off the ground and spin the rear axles, the torsen LSD will behave like a typical open diff, according to your statement. Is the opposite/reverse true? Will an open rear diff in Rav4 spin both axles in same direction while off the ground? What are some other ways to know I have LSD beside calling a dealership with my VIN, opening the differential itself or literally testing it (burnouts, or otherwise). I read somewhere that those diff with LSD are inscribed with a "2" or a "7" and those without have a "1".
I'm intending to buy a 4 door JDM (overseas of course) and that model had an option of LSD.....I would like to be sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I need some clarification if you or anyone else in the know can help. So if you lift it off the ground and spin the rear axles, the torsen LSD will behave like a typical open diff, according to your statement. Is the opposite/reverse true? Will an open rear diff in Rav4 spin both axles in same direction while off the ground? What are some other ways to know I have LSD beside calling a dealership with my VIN, opening the differential itself or literally testing it (burnouts, or otherwise). I read somewhere that those diff with LSD are inscribed with a "2" or a "7" and those without have a "1".
I'm intending to buy a 4 door JDM (overseas of course) and that model had an option of LSD.....I would like to be sure.
.....Anyone...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lsd axle code

My car has the 01A axle and the build sheets says it has the rear LSD.
You have an automatic with 01A axle code? Would you be willing to take pictures of your rear differential pumpkin? What is the number stamp on the top left, on the cover (1:1, 2:2), or any stickers?

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are doing a good job getting whipping her into shape.

"-minor thump when disengaging clutch(drive shaft supports?)" - This could be an engine, transmission, or differential mount. Mine started clunking and it was the "yoke mount at the front of the differential. It has two bushings and both were very badly deteriorated.

A few problems I had with mine...
Brake lines: Take a close look at your brake lines including under the car on the driver's side. Take the plastic cover off and check it out closely where the retaining clamps are. See my link http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/210626-brake-line-corrosion.html

Transmission cooler lines: Yes even though it's a manual, it has a transmission cooler. Check those hoses out closely, the metal parts tend to corrode, but you cannot inspect the hoses very well because they have a nylon wrap. I had one blow out and dump the gear oil pretty quick and destroy the transmission before I even knew what was happening (I was driving about 75 MPH on an I4 when it let go). So, if they look original, corroded or worn at all I would strongly advise replacement. See my link for how to make your own http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...-your-own-manual-transaxle-cooling-hoses.html

And here is my mods thread http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

Have fun with your RAV4.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Okay, so since no one will post their findings. My axle code is -01A, and the cover is stamped 1-1. I'm assuming it's an open diff. Can anyone tell me what their LSD/Torsen diff codes are? The code is on the Vin tag in the door jam and the stamp is on the diff cover. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts