Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from the dealer. They replaced the ENTIRE passengers seat.. It STILL does not come back at all if I recline it all the way and pull up the handle:( Of course I raised a rukus.. That all agreed that it must be a defective Toyota seat.. He is gonna contact Toyota to let me know what the next step is.. Now on the way home, the passengers seatbelt warning went off randomely with the dash lite flashing and the darn beeper.. Oh and btw no one was with me :x .. Boy the dealer is NOT gonna love me tomorrow...

H

·
0 Posts
There's wiring, plugs, & connectors under that seat. They probably
didn't get them together securely, I would guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
flyingn,

I feel your pain. Our RAV is currently sitting in the garage due to a faulty airbag sensor which is on order.

I'm sure Toyota will fix your problem though.

S

·
0 Posts
Re: im NOT happy

heh, as i said before, i suspect it was designed that way... it is your dealers fault for not checking it out first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If it's really a defect, I would rather keep it that way. Not pulling back after reclining passed certain angle is a great idea for safety reason. In addition, I hardly recline the seat passed that angle and I don't want those technician or master foreman to mess around the seat. Risking too much stake for them to fool around with those seat sensors.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
flyingn said:
I don't think so. I did an poll here and some of the new Ravs do indeed come up fine so it is NOT sopossed to work that way..
FWIW.... I drove approx. 20+ 2006 RAVs at work tonight. NONE of the seats returned to full upright position from recline. I've noticed this in other Toyota models... though I've not taken the time to note exactly which models do or don't.

Over the next couple days at work... I'll test the PASSENGER seat in the RAV4. Sorry... I wasn't following this thread close enough. I thought it was the DRIVER'S seat that wasn't returning to upright position :?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
flyingn

Sounds like you have a loose connection under the seat. Take apart the connecters and reinsert them. Make sure you dont pull them apart by the wires and pull and insert them straight in and out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've actually seen warnings in owner's manuals advising that when a seat is reclined and you lift the seat return lever, that the seat may pop forward with considerable force if there's no one sitting in it. It sounds as though Toyota may have designed the seat to avoid this issue.

H

·
0 Posts
Hey Frank,
Know what? I previously told you my passanger seat did snap back
when I pressed the lever BUT I didn't fully recline it. If I do
that, then it won't come up by itself. So, I guess that's the
way they're designed. They don't want that seat back to jerk
back up on somebody if they're fully reclined. Stands to reason.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmmm. Maybe Im a gonna have to rethink this.. I have NEVER ever seen or owned a reclining seat (all the way back to my 69 GTO) that did not come all the way back up by itself.. Maybe the Rav is not sopossed to come back... Im gonna wait to see what Toyota says about it..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine comes back up much more slowly than other cars, so they've either put a dampener in there or are using a weaker spring.
Having said that, I always think about if it's "worth it" to bring in the car, because you never know who will work on it, and even if they do fix what you bring it in for, how well did they care for your car, did they accidentally (benefit of the doubt here) break something else in the process, etc... Remember the guy working on your car is just some human hired by your dealership. They have bunch of cars to work on and yours is just in the way of them getting to lunch break or quitting time. They're not getting their hands on my car unless it's a safety issue or maintenance I'm not qualified to perform myself. (ok, or unless it's something that is really annoying me)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bump this one.

Anyone determine if the seats that do not fully upright themselves after full recline are actually designed that way??

(Both my driver and passenger are the same - they do not go back to full upright after full recline.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
go 5 hole said:
Anyone determine if the seats that do not fully upright themselves after full recline are actually designed that way??

(Both my driver and passenger are the same - they do not go back to full upright after full recline.)
I checked my Rav4 06 base.
Mine is coming back whenever it's reclined.
Like any other seats I've had.
So I don't think that the problem is designed intentionally by Toyota.

·
Registered
654 Posts
sean20202020 said:
I checked my RAV4 06 base.
Mine is coming back whenever it's reclined.
Like any other seats I've had.
So I don't think that the problem is designed intentionally by Toyota.
We've been viewing this from the standpoint that not being able to spring back from a full recline is the problem. Based on Kelly's observations and what seems to be the majority of owners here, I'm wondering if those few that can are the NOT suppose to do that :?: Which would mean that the rest of us have properly working seats?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts