Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Rav I really do but if there ever was a example of a lemon it would probably be my car. I've already been through and ECM and Trans. Now yesterday I went through a light and heard a horrible grinding noise from the passanger side/middle of the car. It only appears when driving under 20 mph, gets worse when the e brake is applied and goes away when I turn right but worse when I turn left, still can't zero in on what the issue is. Brought it to a friend's shop yesterday to fins out that it's hellishly rusted.

My exhaust flanges are about to fall apart.
My brake lines are about to burst.
I need all new rear brakes.
My differential mount is completely destroyed.
There is possible frame rot.
The gas tank and evap tube are about to start leaking from all the rust.

I'm at a loss here. I'm just outside the lemon law warranty but if there is frame rot wouldn't that mean they illegally inspected the vehicle? Also they have no written two temp registrations for my car. I think I have enough ammo here to ask for a refund still. What's your guys opinion? What would it cost me to have all of these issues fixed average? The mechanic is a family friend so im not going to be raped on labor.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? You bought a used car that is a rust bucket & in poor mechanical condition. Did it have any expressed warranty at all? Currently , only six states — Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York — have used-car lemon laws on the books. Lemon laws are generally for new cars.

I don't understand how you could expect a refund so there must be more to this. Please enlighten us .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in new york and it was purchased through a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lemon Law dictates that within the mileage my car has it was to be given a 3 month 3k mile lemon law warranty

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
What year is your RAV4? And how many miles on it when you bought it?

In my opinion, you can't buy a used car and then call it a lemon without knowing how it was maintained by the previous owners.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
You are very shy on information about this vehicle.........also being in New York state salt on the roads is common is it not? I'm not sure where you're going with this.

How long ago did you buy the car? Did you have an inspection performed prior to purchase? How many miles? What year? There's waaaayyy too much information left out to offer you any assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts