Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :) is there a way to buypass immobilizer in toyota rav4 1998yr ? just want to know couse my car don't want to start, it start's for a sec and shuts down . or a way to turn off that immo ?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hi :) is there a way to buypass immobilizer in toyota rav4 1998yr ? just want to know couse my car don't want to start, it start's for a sec and shuts down . or a way to turn off that immo ?
We need more information in order to assist you. For starters, What country are you in, since in 1998 the Canadian and the USA RAV4s did not have an immobilizer.

Your symptoms sound like a defective ignition coil ballast resistor. When the key is turned, the resistor is bypassed to allow the full battery voltage to the coil for easier starts. When the key is released, the resistor is placed in series with the coil to extend it's life.

Of course I don't know if the 1998 had a ballast resistor for sure!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in poland. the fuel pump is working it can be heard when the ignition stops it pumps the fuel, and every time it starts for 2 sec so it has fuel. Rickl that's i want to check next to be sure couse the resistor is clicking two times after i turn the key on , and it never did that . I just hope it's not the immobilizer couse repair cost a lot :p i did connect it to the computer and was 2 errors. One was lambda probe or heater, and the second was ignition error and that's exactly what was written :( no clue for now what it could be and i so much need my car :p

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I live in poland. ...........did connect it to the computer and was 2 errors. One was lambda probe or heater, and the second was ignition error
I doubt that it would be an immobilizer problem. If the immobilizer was faulty the engine would just crank and not start at all. I was surprised to hear your 1998 RAV has an immobilizer , but according to Wikipedia "Immobilizers have been mandatory in all new cars sold in Germany since 1 January 1998, in the United Kingdom since 1 October 1998, in Finland since 1998, in Australia since 2001 and in Canada since 2007. So it looks like Canada was way behind the rest of the world (except the USA :wink).

If you can locate the resistor (assuming it has one) you can short out the connector with a jumper wire and see if the engine will continue running. This short will not cause and damage if done for short periods like a few hours or even days.

Since there is a lot of differences between Polish and North American RAV's I can't suggest much more. I'm assuming you have a gas engine because diesels don't have ballast resistors. Perhaps if we knew the model name and engine size of your RAV we could offer more details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1st gen in poland was only one engine that time 2.0 gas, when we did connect it to computer on the dash was blinking check engine light
4,2,1 times . but i didnt find that error list.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i did connect it to the computer and was 2 errors. One was lambda probe or heater, and the second was ignition error
A lamda probe is another name for what we commonly call the "oxygen sensor" in North America. The sensor has 4 wires, and 2 distinct circuits. One pair of wires provides a measurement of oxygen levels to the computer, while the 2nd pair of wires is connected to a heater within the sensor so that it can get to operating temperature faster. It sounds like the heater within your sensor is defective.

However I don't think this is the cause of your problem, since a defective Lamda sensor would not prevent the engine from starting, and continue to run.

Edit: If your engine has a coil located on each spark plug, then it would not make use of a ballast resistor. If it only has a single coil, then the resistor is a likely possibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you won :) it was not the immo :) thank God :p i have 2 coils for 4 plugs and its wierd but when one coil doesnt work second one wont work too ;/ and engine wont start. problem solved thanks for the help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts