Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This information is relative to my 2012 AWD 4Cyl RAV4

I decided to replace my filter and tranny fluid yesterday along with a host of other things. I went to Autozone and found the transmission filter kit that was guaranteed by Autozone to fit my vehicle. Sounds good right?

WRONG!

The stock filter will have 3 bolts that mount it to the transmission. The filter you will get from autozone willl have a bolt hole in the wrong place. Autozone would have to FDO the correct filter, or you could simply go to the dealership and get one.

Also, if you're like me, and had the car torn down at 9pm, and had to reuse the old filter ( looked fine ),

Make sure you put the little O-ring back over the spout that goes into the transmission.

I had just sealed everything back up as grandad was emptying the drain pan and said " Where's this O-ring go?" >:D

Had to drain all of the new fluid and put O-ring back. We just thought we might have trouble if the O-ring was missing. Just a hunch. :serious

Please use my thread as a simple guide in avoiding the frustrating troubles one can have if not well informed.

By the way, Valvoline MaxLife works fine. Cheaper than yota WS.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah you got the v6 filter.....the 4 cylinder filter is tf171.....as a rule I always look up the parts before I go get them.....most of the clowns that work at auto parts stores wouldn't know a brake shoe from a brake pad...

·
Registered
268 Posts
"as a rule I always look up the parts before I go get them...."

Great advice, I do the same. I also go to the manufacturer's website and verify that the dealer, whether Autozone or RockAuto, hasn't made a cataloging error. I hate having to return things.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
As a rule, I use Toyota maintenance parts.
That doesn't do much good if the kid at the counter gives you the wrong part...I also don't think Toyota parts are any better than good quality aftermarket parts...I don't ever buy the cheap stuff tho...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's just a shrock of chit.

How in the heck could that happen?

I used their system just like I was supposed to!

I went to three different stores, and they all pulled up the filter for a 4 cylinder....

Simply outrageous.

Not the worst thing to happen to me though....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you got the v6 filter.....the 4 cylinder filter is tf171.....as a rule I always look up the parts before I go get them.....most of the clowns that work at auto parts stores wouldn't know a brake shoe from a brake pad...
I want to thank you for your help. I have alerted Autozone of their problem, and hopefully it will be fixed.

And thanks again for the great advice!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
That doesn't do much good if the kid at the counter gives you the wrong part...I also don't think Toyota parts are any better than good quality aftermarket parts...I don't ever buy the cheap stuff tho...
The kid at the Toyota counter will ask for your VIN if multiple parts fit the same model and year.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We just purchased a 2008 RAV4 Limited, v6/5 speed auto, a few months ago.
Its low mileage, so probably won't change the transmission oil & filter, for a few years.

^^ But I wanted to share a possible procurement tip, if it helps others here:
- our last family vehicle was a used 2002 Volvo V70, and 2 years ago, I wanted to source the trans oil / wagon had 250,000 Km on the clock, time to treat it to clean fluids (sealed tranny btw)
- found it at the local Volvo dealer, for $11/Liter CDN...ouch Ontario, Canada businesses!!
Google search reveled Volvo repackages their automatic transmission oil and they use Mobil ATF 3309, in their own brand of bottles.

So I ordered a 12 quart case (Part No. 112610) of Mobil ATF 3309, from a National Oil Distributer, in the States:
- VESCO OIL, 1900 East Warren Ave. Detroit MI 48207 (phone 313-833-0600)
US Case Price = $61.42/case = $70.55 (with MSDS sheet) + $4.23 shipping (UPS Ground) = $74.78 in total // equals $6.23/quart USD
(delivered to a $5 parcel warehouse, in Port Huron, MI / for Canadian customer pickup)
- meets OEM requirements for many Toyota and Lexus vehicles

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts