Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just couldn't live with the harsh ride of my 2015 RAV Limited anymore! So I reduced the tire pressure on the Bridgestone Dueller's to 26 lbs psi temporarily and it rides much better. Still quite "busy" but the "crashing" over potholes and bumps is gone and the ride is smoother. Now I need a permanent and better solution.

Has anyone replaced the Bridgestone Dueller A/T OE tires with Continental PureContact w/Eco Tech or Pirelli Scorpion Verde's? If so how much would you say they improved the ride: some, significantly, quite a bit, or like night and day? Or did you replace with another brand/model? Would you please state tires purchased and report results?

Also has anyone changed to 16 or 17 inch rims? If so, what tires did you purchase and how much improvement did you experience?

I'm hoping this will help others as well.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Can't give a direct comparison, but based on pure physics, yes, a 16" wheel with the same diameter tire will have a taller sidewall, which will in turn soften the ride.
Likewise on the tire type, going to a passenger car tire will help.
The difference between the 17 and 18" wheels is likely the cause of the Limited's reputation for a harsher ride than the XLE, BUT, even with the 17" wheels, my wife's XLE is very rough over dirt/gravel roads. We take my Tacoma when we go to the range.

Your tires are currently 235/55-18. The 235/65-16 would give you about the same reading on the speedometer and same ride height, but would give you an extra inch of rubber. A 215/70-16 would also work and still not be too narrow for the wheel.

If you're serious, I'm sure you would be able to find someone with a 4.2 Limited willing to trade. The 4.2 Limited has a nice alloy 16" wheel.

Keep in mind though, that any softening of the sidewall, whether by design or through reduced air pressure, will negatively impact fuel economy and handling.
I would not run reduced pressure if you spend any time on the highway, as reduced pressure greatly impacts heat generated by the added road friction. Also, at reduced pressures, your load carrying ability is also reduced. All of the weight and speed ratings of the vehicle are based on recommended pressure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your thorough and thoughtful reply.

I can see where 16" wheels with a good touring tire would most certainly make a significant difference. I do have a bit of concern about appearance though.

What tires are on your wife's XLE? I think 17" wheels look fine, and most of the reviews for the tires I named were very positive regarding ride and noise. Perhaps that would be a suitable compromise.

I was shocked to find out that the Bridgestones are a summer tire! I live in a four season state and we do get snow in the winter. I will need to buy tires before winter anyway. Why wouldn't Toyota put all-season tires on the RAV? Makes no sense to me.

I understand about not running low pressure; it was just an experiment really. Thanks for your concern though.

Hopefully others will respond with their experiences.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Bridgestone Dueller 422 is a all season tire. I can't imagine that Toyota would install a summer tire on a Rav 4. I have 2013 with Yokahama Geolander tires and just ordered the Bridgestone tires. The Dueller 422 is highly rated on Tire Rack. Can't deal with the road noise of the Yokahama's any longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW the harsh ride has more to do with suspension geometry and components than tires. You would notice little difference changing tires or wheels. You would be better off to find a spring/shock combo that would improve the ride. I feel that Toyota really missed the boat on the new Rav4. I had a 2007 with 100,000 miles before it was rear ended which I felt was a better vehicle in many ways. I know many will disagree but in several ways the new Rav4 is a POS. The Toyota quality is not what it once was.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MY 2015 RAV4 Limited was delivered with Bridgestone DUELER H/T 687 tires. They are VERY noisy, hard riding, have poor wet and snow traction and are rated very low on Tire Rack--2.5 stars out of 5. These are about the worst tires I have had on any car in my 45 years of driving. Thanks Toyota!

I apologize. I was looking at the wrong tire and saw summer. They are an all season tire.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Running low pressure in the stock tires could cause more problems than you relaize just for a softer ride. That is NOT a solution and I'm sure you realize that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well of course many/most will disagree with you. People have paid up to $33K on these vehicles and bought them because they liked them and viewed them as very good/excellent vehicles. RAV4's are far from perfect, and nothing is built like it used to be anymore. (That's the price of "progress.")

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm not sure why people still reply to this guys threads. All he does is complain about his car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Why wouldn't anyone contribute to threads I start just because several of them present aspects of the RAV that are less than stellar and have posited problems for me? I come here looking for answers/solutions to what I view as problems with this vehicle. If what I want to do is simply complain, I have PLENTY of family members and friends who will listen to me whine. But that is NOT why I'm here and not why I start threads about issues I'm having with my RAV4! Who are you to judge and police what people post and who/how many people respond? If you don't want to participate don't. But why do you feel compelled to discourage others from taking part or helping someone else?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The kind of help you need you won't find here.

Perhaps next time you will actually drive a car before you buy it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With your display of nasty attitude, condescending arrogance and intolerance, YOU are the one who needs help! If you have nothing nice (positive) to say why don't you just BE QUIET?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As a senior member you should know that owners here are providing feed-back on their personal experiences with the 4th generation Rav4. It's not your place to encourage only positive remarks when the truth may well be to the contrary. People are posting about their experiences with their vehicle- your experience may be different. Some reviewers hope Toyota reps read some of the complaints, send them upstream, and such input results in an improved future vehicle. It's shouldn't be that hard to understand...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As a senior member I've seen most of his posts and threads. Thread titles such as " I hate my rav4" etc. All of which consist of over dramatic ranting and whining. Most of the issues causing his hissy fits turned out to be something he was doing wrong. It's not really that rude to suggest to someone that hates their car so much that perhaps they should have done more research first.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Nodnerb-

Cool your jets and be civil. You are out of line.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts