Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!
I have a 2001 rav4 which I really enjoy. Now that USA gas is starting to approach "normal world prices" :wink:, I'm going to get very serious about improving my milage!! I already keep my tire pressure up, drive slowly and keep the mechanix in top shape. I plan on removing the roof rack to improve aero.
So multiple questions. What tires offer the best balance between good mpg's and traction? Can tire pressure be upped without damaging the suspension? What wax is the most slippery?
Thanks and Cheers!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
petrofreak,
I'm glad you're removing the roof rack...just keep it off until you need it...it won't help the mileage much...but every little bit helps.

Keeping the vehicle in tune is a great thing to do.

Also, don't use the drive-through. Don't leave the vehicle idling while you run in to the convenience store...I can't tell you how many people I see doing this in their big SUVs...then they have the gall to complain about getting 10 mpg :roll:

Don't carry excess weight in your vehicle.

You'll have to experiment with tire pressure. I'll usually bump them up to a little less than the max sidewall pressure, but if the vehicle starts to feel squirly in the rain, I'll drop a few psi...

Wax? Don't think that's going to make much difference.

For tires, I'd suggest getting something that can take the highest pressure you can...most SUV highway tread tires should be fine...how much traction do you need? I'm currently running Wrangler HPs...which are useless in the mud and I don't think I'd run them in the snow...but they are fine for dirt roads and wet weather. For winter I run dedicated snow tires, Nokians. If I wanted more traction, I'd consider the BFG AT or Bridgestone Dueler Revo, both AT tires...don't think I'd put a mud tire on the RAV...

But, in the end, drive conservatively and you'll get good mileage. I got 29.89mpg in the RAV somewhere around Indiana the other summer...keeping it at 65 and steady. Look at where the rpms are on the RAV and you'll realize that you'll burn fuel pretty quickly at the "typical" highway speeds...

Bogatyr

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bogatyr!

Whilst waiting in backed up line for road repair I always shut the engine off. I read somewhere that if you idle for more than 30 seconds... shut the car off.
Would lowering the car inprove its aero?
My info I'v read says to accelerate slowly yet I read 2 reports in auto mags that claimed the opposite!!!
On a different topic when the rav4 is cold it won't upshift particularlly in winter?

Petrofreak

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been stepping on it for 2 tanks now. Both gave me an increase from 300 to around 375 on a tankful. When I mean stepping on it, I'm talking about the 5 to 6 grand mark. Race people on the street, or just gun it for the fun of it. Whatever floats your boat. :twisted:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You floor it to get better mileage? I've never heard of this before. Are there any others of you out there that have experienced this?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd try it, but mine's an automatic. What he's described is a lot harder to do without running the risk of messing things up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
maybe it works :? but...i am not in to it :( ...i would rather drive safely...and in the long run i don't want to strain my engine thus giving it more lifetime years..... :lol:......

this time i would just follow what is common knowledge when it comes to saving gas.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey guys. So far I'm just above a 1/2 tank and at 203 miles. Still driving like a bat out of hell too. :twisted:

I just really wish I had someone to race against. The rice boys don't seem to like to race around anymore. :lol: Maybe they can't stand being beat by a purple RAV.

Sig, speaking of that article. I never did try that. Oh well, I found something that's a bit more fun 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
dnylrq said:
I've been steeping on it for 2 tanks now. Both gave me an increase from 300 to around 375 on a tankful. When I mean stepping on it, I'm talking about the 5 to 6 grand mark. Race people on the street, or just gun it for the fun of it. Whatever floats your boat. :twisted:
Sounds crazy but I swear the same thing too, also my best highway milage is above 80, I was always told faster is worse.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you want to up your gas mileage? get an intake and exhaust
nuff said

·
Registered
650 Posts
dnylrq said:
Hey guys. So far I'm just above a 1/2 tank and at 203 miles. Still driving like a bat out of hell too. :twisted:

I just really wish I had someone to race against. The rice boys don't seem to like to race around anymore. :lol: Maybe they can't stand being beat by a purple RAV.

Sig, speaking of that article. I never did try that. Oh well, I found something that's a bit more fun 8)
Dnylrq,

Do you top off your tank when refueling?

What I normally do is simply round up to the nearest $.25 after the pump stops.

Since I live in FL and had to prepare for the last couple of hurricanes, I topped of my tank. Guess what... I was able to fit about three extra gallons of gas!

I used to average about 150 miles by the half tank mark, with the topped off tank I get about 200+ miles.

Sig

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dnylrq said:
I've been steeping on it for 2 tanks now. Both gave me an increase from 300 to around 375 on a tankful. When I mean stepping on it, I'm talking about the 5 to 6 grand mark. Race people on the street, or just gun it for the fun of it. Whatever floats your boat. :twisted:
You forgot other things that really help improving the mileage:
keeping tire pressure low, always keeping the windows open, air conditioning always on, higher idle, stationary brake always on etcetera

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tanto said:
dnylrq said:
keeping tire pressure low, always keeping the windows open, air conditioning always on, higher idle, stationary brake always on etcetera
LOL

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tanto said:
dnylrq said:
It seems like a lot of effort to check all those things. Why not just permanently attach a Hummer to the tow-hitch. I read in UnPopular Mechanics that this increases mileage by 17-21% and increases engine wear by 12-15% or 6 years, whichever comes first.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL
How come I didn't think of that?

In the meantime something else came to my mind:
1. filling the tires with water (this also helps riding quality)
2. always driving in reverse (maybe a problem for your neck and at traffic lights and crossroads)
3. pile up a ton of stuff on the roofrack

But then again, nothing really beats towing a hummer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts