Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am disappointed in the performance of the factory brakes, and wanted to know if anyone had recommendations on upgrading the rotors/pads for better braking performance (2012 V6 SE)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am disappointed in the performance of the factory brakes, and wanted to know if anyone had recommendations on upgrading the rotors/pads for better braking performance (2012 V6 SE)
SE? What country are you in? My v6 brakes work great...perhaps yours are just in need of repair.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stopping distance could be shorter. I am used to lighter cars with much shorter stopping distances, I know the weight makes a difference but hope higher performance components could make an improvement

What do you find lacking?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
There was no SE in 2012. It's either Base, Sport, or Limited. And with the V6, you have larger brakes than in the I4. I find my brakes work well using the OEM Advics pads.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can try EBC Greenstuff pads. Good for normal road use. You can get them from CARiD
I fitted them to my Mk1 Vitara/Tracker/Sidekick. After a quite smelly bedding in, they were very good. I also fitted EBC discs/rotors.

I have some to go on my 4.1, not impressed with the brakes either.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I tried HAWK LTS pads (not available for GEN3) and they grip well on my previous 05. Hawk makes the HPS (available for GEN3) so should perform just as well. The HPS is a high performance brake pad made out of ferro carbon composite. They will be a bit louder than say ceramic pads though. All I can describe the Hawk pad is it bites and grips very well. Unlike ceramics stepping on the brakes harder does not stop as short as the HAWK.

Here is a product review with 666 Reviews:
Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SHIPS FREE - AutoAnything

I am not sure if rotors made any difference but I had Centric Premium Rotors with Raybestos Reman Calipers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is a link to a thread about EBC Yellowstuff pads.

We have a 2012 Limited V6 AWD with the stock brakes and a 2007 Limited V6 AWD with EBC Yellowstuff pads, ATE Blue brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines. The braking is night and day different, it feels like a different vehicle!

The 2007 has much more overall stopping power, but what I like best is the feel. The 2012 has quicker initial bite, but when you press the pedal harder, there is a level where more pedal motion and more effort does not add any stopping power. With the 2007 it is much easier to control the stopping power under hard braking by adjusting pedal effort. The 2007 is much more linear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the helpful thoughts. I will probably give the EBC a try on my Sport Edition (sorry for confusion, thought that was what SE meant)

·
Registered
178 Posts
My question is what kind of driving are you doing that requires so much braking force that you need a shorter stopping distance? Maybe your style of driving is more to blame...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So how many different brakes are avaible for the RAV. I know that the 3rd row has large brakes and now someone is stating that the V6 has larger brakes. When saying larger brake what do you mean. Diameter or thickness? Diameter would increase braking power, but would require either a different caliper or mount. Thickness would resist heat soaked fade, and warping.
Anyone have more details?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
So how many different brakes are avaible for the RAV. I know that the 3rd row has large brakes and now someone is stating that the V6 has larger brakes. When saying larger brake what do you mean. Diameter or thickness? Diameter would increase braking power, but would require either a different caliper or mount. Thickness would resist heat soaked fade, and warping.
Anyone have more details?
There are TWO different brake systems for the 4.3 RAV4. The smaller brakes are on the 4-cylinder models WITHOUT 3rd row seats. The larger brakes are on all V6 models AND any model with the 3rd row seats. The difference is the larger brakes have a larger rotor, caliper and pads. Also, the master cylinder is different, including the linkage to the brake pedal. Finally, the RAV4's equipped with the larger brakes come with the downhill assist feature.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
No complaints about the brakes on my '11 RAVV6, but the braking system has a much different feel than that on my wife's CR-V. The CR-V system is much "grabbier." I work to avoid situations where I have to test my RAV's stopping distance by driving so that I don't have to use the system's full resources. I try to drive so that I make measured, or non-system taxing stops. I didn't know that the V6 models have larger brakes until I joined this forum and read JuneBug's entries on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Stopping distance could be shorter. I am used to lighter cars with much shorter stopping distances, I know the weight makes a difference but hope higher performance components could make an improvement
Weight sure does make a difference! All my cars stop just fine after driving my truck/camper and towing my dyno trailer.
Just came back from my nearly 5,000 mile Sturgis trip and am glad to park it for awhile. Even with all the brakes in good condition I have to anticipate my stops and then downshift the automatic into 2nd when I get below 50 mph for engine braking. I stay on interstates as much a possible and leave plenty of room to avoid panic stops. When two-lanes are unavoidable heaven help anyone who makes the mistake of pulling out in front of me. Maybe my rig looks big enough that it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There are TWO different brake systems for the 4.3 RAV4. The smaller brakes are on the 4-cylinder models WITHOUT 3rd row seats. The larger brakes are on all V6 models AND any model with the 3rd row seats. The difference is the larger brakes have a larger rotor, caliper and pads. Also, the master cylinder is different, including the linkage to the brake pedal. Finally, the RAV4's equipped with the larger brakes come with the downhill assist feature.
Thanks for that info. I was using the RAV as my personal car a couple of weeks ago when the family was out visiting the in-laws. With the car empty I found that the brakes to be pretty decent in a hot rod situation: full acceleration to a intersection to catch a green light, stand on the brakes before enter the corner.

So the V6 with 3rd row kind of gets screwed.

Again the question on "larger". Diameter or thickness or both.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
I ordered front discs from Summit and got the smaller 4-cyl ones by mistake. They replaced them at no charge with the larger V6 ones. As I recall the only difference was diameter.

Reactions: MrPulldown

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Thanks for that info. I was using the RAV as my personal car a couple of weeks ago when the family was out visiting the in-laws. With the car empty I found that the brakes to be pretty decent in a hot rod situation: full acceleration to a intersection to catch a green light, stand on the brakes before enter the corner.

So the V6 with 3rd row kind of gets screwed.

Diameter for sure. If memory serves the 2 rotor sizes are 296mm and 275mm.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is good info to know. So 4 cylinder RAVs can get a boost in braking performance if they step up to the larger brake. You would need rotor, caliper, and master cylinder. Assume the mounts are the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts