Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is, if you guys have one, did you bypass that safety measure where it won't turn the screen on if your car is running? if so, how? also, if i have the dvd screen and my deck on at the same time,the fuse on my deck blows, is there any way to fix this?
thanks in advance

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I don't know why the fuse would blow when the screen & player are on ... it sounds like something is drawing too much power. Have you called the manufacturer of the DVD player? Have you checked your wiring? Did you use a harness for the factory wiring, or did you wire it some other way?
I have a jensen DVD player and it has zero problems, including using it while driving if I want to ... but I wouldn't suggest it. As cool as it sounds, I find that when you drive, your focus on moition is set one way, but when you try to look at the DVD player while driving, your focus on motion changes, you try to focus on what is happening in the movie/show, and then you completely have to readjust your senses back to the road ... its weird.
As far as how I got it to work, obviously, this is NOT recommended ... I don't know how yours is supposed to be wired, but my player has a wire that should be connected to the negative wire from the parking brake, letting the DVD or TV video ONLY work when the parking brake is engaged. The bypass is to ground it any where. For instance, I have a 2001 Rav. Behind the glove box, there is a white plastic connector around the reenforcement bar that is near the top. The plastic piece has 2 screws in it that screw into the bar. I put the wire on one of the screws and re-tightened .. it then worked - use any ground if this is your setup and it should work. HIGHLY not recommended, but it is easier than taking the center console apart. I'd sugegst making it so you can disconnect it if in an accident or something for insurance purposes ... I'd imagine they wouldn't cover you if they determined it caused an accident and it was incorrectly hooked up. Good luck and don't do this as its not recommended ... only for, umm, testing purposes, yeah!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI ... I talked to a local policeman about video displays in the front seat ... in the dash ... and he stated that in my state the law is written so that it says that NO video display of ANY kind may be used in the fron seat reagrdless of its purpose ... this would include in-dash DVD players, laptops, even the GPS receivers with a video display ... NO video display of any kind may be used infront of the driver's seat. This is for NH.

I looked online as well and it seems like their laws are exactly the same. So, before you go cruisin' around with a DVD or even funky display, remember that ANY video display being used infront of the driver's seat is illegal.

I originally thought it was limited to video being used for movies/tv ... and that navigation display was legal - not so. Be careful!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
BryanNH said:
FYI ... I talked to a local policeman about video displays in the front seat ... in the dash ... and he stated that in my state the law is written so that it says that NO video display of ANY kind may be used in the fron seat reagrdless of its purpose ...
Hard to believe. Quite a few vehicle manufacturers (Toyota/Lexus included) offer OEM video/navigation screens in their vehicles. IE- Prius, Camry, 4Runner, Landcruiser, Sienna, etc. Are you saying the Prius is NOT sold in NH :?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I told you is what came from the horse's mouth!
The officer said "No video display device of any kind is to be used infront of the driver's seat" I asked specifically if it made any difference if it was for navigation purposes only or if it was being used to watch a movie, and he repeated what he first told me and said there were no differences.

I bet that the cars that come with it pre-installed have an option to either not buy it (you SHOULD know your state driving laws before using one), or they probably have an option to turn it off while driving! Hard to believe, but true ... it IS a terrible distraction, especially if a movie is on, oh my! Its SO hard to drive and watch a move, your perceptions change VERY drastically, almost confusing your senses.

It'd be like telling everyone that they can't drink and drive, but if you want to drive around holding an open bottle of whisky or beer or something, thats ok, just don't drink it!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the info about the laws in TX:
"Having a video display that is visible from the driver’s seat is illegal. SB 209 expands the definition of video receiving equipment to include digital videodisc players, videocassette players or similar equipment. This equipment may be used only if it is located so that the video display is not visible from the operator’s seat. "

Taken From:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr081903b.htm

Now, read the definition of a video display however you want ... an officer could see anything with a video screen as breaking the law, while another may see only things capable or playing DVD's & TV or other movies as breaking the law ... The guy I spoke to seemed to not make a difference ... he said any video display device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's four years since the last reply, but I think the cop would have to be a real jerk to try to put a GPS under that definition. I think the spirit of the law is aimed at DVD players. If you did get a ticket for a GPS, I think it would have a hard time standing up in court.

Since dealers are able to sell factory-installed GPS units in Texas, I think it only applies to DVDs.

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, not a lawyer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts