Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I have a 2003 Rav4 L, I'm just wondering is there any simple and cheap way to increase some hp for my car that I could do myself?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no way to get a decent increase in hp for cheap......

trust me , i think i have the fastest rav4.2 on this forum.... and it dont come cheap.....

:twisted: 1320 - 14.77 @ 93 MPH :twisted:

i'm prolly pushing bout 200-210 to the wheels

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE REAL SHORTY said:

trust me , i think i have the fastest RAV4.2 on this forum.... and it dont come cheap.....

Would you mind sharring some of the things you've done to your Rav to get that kind of HP? I really want to make mine a bit faster... :cry: for some reason, my car takes forever to go pass 60mph when going up hill... and I really have to floor the gas padel just to get it to speed up...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have an automatic, make sure you are not in overdrive when going up a hil(if it is steep).

If you have a manual, depending on the incline of the hill, 4th gear would probably be your best bet(try to keep the RPM's below 4000 though).

I swear the automatic transmissions on the RAV4 take away 10hp. My friend has one and my Manual zips up hills with no problems and he says his hesitates. I think the gearing has alot to do with it, the autos have higher ratios overall(better cruising, lose out offroad).

I honestly think the RAV4 has enough HP with the manual, more would be better but its not really a problem(not overloaded).

As for mods: I would think a performance exhaust(TRD or other) would give you more umph for sure(probably not alot) and maybe better airflow on the intake somehow or both.

Just my 2 cents

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rav4_at said:
Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have an automatic, make sure you are not in overdrive when going up a hil(if it is steep).

If you have a manual, depending on the incline of the hill, 4th gear would probably be your best bet(try to keep the RPM's below 4000 though).

I swear the automatic transmissions on the RAV4 take away 10hp. My friend has one and my Manual zips up hills with no problems and he says his hesitates. I think the gearing has alot to do with it, the autos have higher ratios overall(better cruising, lose out offroad).

I honestly think the RAV4 has enough HP with the manual, more would be better but its not really a problem(not overloaded).

As for mods: I would think a performance exhaust(TRD or other) would give you more umph for sure(probably not alot) and maybe better airflow on the intake somehow or both.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks... I'll definitely try turnning off overdrive when going up hill... hope that helps...

·
Registered
396 Posts
One other thing to keep im mind is that the ECU "remembers" how you drive and adjust accordingly. So, if you drive like a grandma most of the time, the auto will respond as such by being sluggish. If you drive agressively, your gas will suffer but the throttle response will be there when you need it. Don't know if driving an auto aggressively will make it come close to a good manual driver in terms of shifting, but if anyone in San Jose would care to test it out with me, I'd give it a go. I got an auto so I need a manual driver to go at it. Anyways, weight reduction is also a good thing to keep in mind. If you drive alone most of the time, shed those rear seats till you know you need 'em. Keep you gas tank at half full unless you're a long commuter. Remove any steel roofracks or side steps if you have 'em. Nix the spare and carry a can of tire sealant instead. Go with some lightweight rims. You could also try a K&N air filter. Won't make too much difference, but couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A direct cold air intake will give you that extra zip you're looking for, and if you can turn a wrench, all it will cost you is materials. A K&N filter (or other), some heat resistant flextube (1.5m), a few bolts, hose clamps and zip straps and you're done! You might have to get one piece made though, to fit your air intake sensor into (if you can't make it yourself, that is), but that won't cost much. All you'll need for tools are a couple of screwdrivers, maybe a socket wrench, and depending on where you bring your cold air in from, a dremmel and a hack-saw. Am I scaring you yet?? lol..... whenever I say hacksaw when talking about car mods my buddies all seem to cringe! Of course, depending on where you live, a direct cold air intake may not be legal, but hey, since when did that ever stop anybody?? Good luck. If you ever decide to do it, just give me a shout if you need help or hints..... no prob. Peace, J.

·
Registered
225 Posts
THE REAL SHORTY said:

trust me , i think i have the fastest RAV4.2 on this forum.... and it dont come cheap.....

and that is with "NAAWWWSSSS" right? :wink:

any chance you got a dyno on that thing?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, yeah I had the same question on how to improve power. I went to a body shop, and they told me there is no way installing cold air intake cause it may even decrease power. I don't want to install nos as it will complete destroy the engine.
Did anybody install performance chips yet?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
THE REAL SHORTY said:

I would love to know what you did to your RAV4 to do 14:77. Can you give us some info?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heinznfries44 said:
A direct cold air intake will give you that extra zip you're looking for, and if you can turn a wrench, all it will cost you is materials. <snip> Peace, J.
FWIW, the "CAI" setup - at least on a Nissan Maxima - takes away some of the low-end, and so many Maxima "modders" are returning their intakes back to stock. On the Maxima, the best bang for the buck is a well built Y-pipe. Better still is the Y-pipe with headers, followed by a free-flowing catalytic converter.
I'd bet the RAV isn't that far removed.
JM2cents

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K&N Air Filter

Try a K&N air filter #33-2216 for about $29, it's a cheap and easy fix that might get you 3-5 more HP, plus they last longer than the paper ones.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The newest item to come out, though it's certainly not cheap, is the Power Enterprises Camcon II controller. It's especially designed for VTEC/VVTi/VVTLi cars. For us VVti Rav4 owners, it allow us to modify valve timing and fuel mixture every 500 rpm. The unit is about $400 plus you'll need to factor in dyno tuning time so it's a bit expensive but, hey, if you're serious about maximizing engine output from our 1AZFE or 2AZFE engines, that's another item to add to our list of possible performance mods.

·
Registered
875 Posts
wow,...

Thanks SLAYER for letting us in on that product available for our rav4's. I can't imagine anyone of us will be getting that anytime soon, but it's good to know it's available. At least we can now dream about something for our rav4's. That gadget is definitely one ugly box. Wonder where I'd put that.

Is shorty helping or just bragging about his so called 210 hp rav4?

IcyKool: As for a cold air intake losing power,....it MAY lose a bit of low end torque (meaning in low rpm's it may take longer to accelerate). At higher speeds, it picks up faster.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nah, SHorty's the real deal. He had NOS so that explains his power output. Of course, I think awhile back he blew something in his engine cause he mentioned something about bringing it in to get fixed. Plus, I think he just recently sold his Rav for a MR2.
If I got that Camcon unit, I'd probably mount it inside the glove box..out of sight and out of mind of would be thieves. Wish I had the funds right now to get it myself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
well Slayer, i do hope you get your hands on one those CAMCON units, (planning to get one myself too) so then you can be our guinea pig! :p don't forget to post dyno results, pics, tuning tips, driving impressions, etc.
i've been checking other toyota forums about this product and the results were all impressive, most of their cars are Celica's, Tc's, and Xb's though. no RAV4 :( but some are reporting 5 HP and up to 10 HP at the wheels. torque increases were also substantial. not bad. :shock:

Shorty's 200 HP RAV4 were achieved by using Nitrous, but this number is just an estimate. there are no actual dyno.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Swissem Power Box

FYI..... there is a company close to where I live (in Switzerland) that makes performance upgrades for cars on the rally cercuit here. The website is www.swissem.com The website is only in french for the moment, but the basic rundown is this. They make a power box that splices into the stock unit with 5 wires, easily done. I runs parrallel to the stock unit, not re-programming, but tweaking the injection process. The box comes from them already tweaked for whichever car you have. Before I go on, this box can be re-configured for your next vehicle if and when you sell the Rav. Anyways, it's pretty expensive, 700 Swiss Francs which is 550 US$. BUT...... the performance upgrade for a 2.0L (150Hp) gas engine Rav 4 is 13Hp and 14 Nanno-Newtons (is that the correct word in english?) of torque. For the D4D Turbo diesel model (116HP stock) the upgrade is 22HP, and 38 nanno-newtons(again, right word??) of torque. They offer a 10 year guarante on their product also. I will be getting one as soon as I have the money to do so, which will probably end up being next spring, unless I use the money to lower my Rav. I haven't quite decided yet, I also want a nice dvd player too so I'll just have to wait and see as far as funds go.

Any how, if any of you are interested and understand french, you can read all about it on their website, if you don't understand french, just follow these steps and you can still see for yourselves the stats listed for the rav4 (or any other car)

1 www.swissem.com

2 "Choose a Country" click on the Swiss Flag

3 click on "Boitiers Additionneles"

4 click on "Automobiles (essence et diesel)"

5 scroll down and click on the red TOYOTA bubble

6 scroll down under "modéle" untill you see Rav-4

7 find your vehicle in the "moteur" column (1800 i, 125 Hp. 2000 D4D, 116 Hp. 2000 i, 150 Hp.)

8 all of this info is stock, it's listed under "série" at the top of the page. Look to your right and you will find the upgrades and the fuel types listed for each model. (Hp in french is always listed as CV, torque is listed as NM, gasoline is BENZ-L, and diesle is TOY- D4D

For any US or Canadian models that have bigger engines than the European models (if such is the case) all the guy would need is a fax off all the tech. data from toyota to tweak the unit with his computer to your specific car. Or he might already have it as he told me he deals with the US too.

Just though I'd throw this out there, just to let you all know that this thing exhists. Peace, Jamie.

Ps: I have decided to start a new thread [HERE] with this post as well, so all the others can see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts