Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am hoping someone has experienced the issue I am currently having and know what the solution is. I have a 2010 Rav4 Sport 4cyl. I have no mods or customizations except a stereo that I've had in there for 3 years. No issues . . Till today, I woke up to a completely dead battery, I think this was cause by an interior light accidently left on. By completely dead I mean, couldn't even unlock the car remotely type dead. I changed the battery, I got the same one as it was under warranty.
Everything started up fine. When I turned the car completely off, I noticed the engine indicator and the oil light was on, I know the oil is good as i recently had an oil change and, well I checked it. I can also here a fan or something. I waited 20 minutes, and the lights and fan were still on. I disconnected the battery, and the fan turned off as did the indicator lights. I waited 10min., thinking there may be some sort of reset. I then reconnected the battery and the 2 lights and the fan came again. at one point all the lights in the dash were flickering but returned to just the 2 indicator lights.

What could be causing these lights and fan not to turn off after the car is turned off? I really can't afford a huge mechanic bill so I'm hoping it's something I can fix or it's a bit of water somewhere and I can just dry it out.

Any ideas on this would help and be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Sounds like a stuck relay. Can you determine the location of the fan? You could try pulling relays or fuses one by one to zero in on the problem circuit. There are 3 fuse/relay boxes, 2 under the hood and one under the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a stuck relay. Can you determine the location of the fan? You could try pulling relays or fuses one by one to zero in on the problem circuit. There are 3 fuse/relay boxes, 2 under the hood and one under the dash.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not, I will try that though tonight. I'm not versed in car mechanics, is there any issue of pulling them out and putting back in, is there a wait time I should hold them out. (As IT we usually wait 15 sec for any resets). I am unable to post pictures as I only have 3 posts.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I can also here a fan or something.
I agree with Junebug that likely a relay is stuck in the operated position.

It would probably assist the diagnosis if we knew what was making the sound like "a fan or something". Is is really a fan, and if so is it the HVAC fan or one of the radiator fans, or some other fan. Is the sound possibly the fuel pump or the emission systems air pump?

Even if you could locate the area the sound is coming from (e.g. Under the hood, under the car, interior, front, rear, etc.) it would be helpful. By knowing what is running we can work backwards and figure out what controls that device.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Junebug that likely a relay is stuck in the operated position.

It would probably assist the diagnosis if we knew what was making the sound like "a fan or something". Is is really a fan, and if so is it the HVAC fan or one of the radiator fans, or some other fan. Is the sound possibly the fuel pump or the emission systems air pump?

Even if you could locate the area the sound is coming from (e.g. Under the hood, under the car, interior, front, rear, etc.) it would be helpful. By knowing what is running we can work backwards and figure out what controls that device.

I was able to upload my picture to

https://ibb.co/bR5Nfv

I hope it's clear enough. In the circle is where i think the fan sound is coming from.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was able to upload my picture -----
I hope it's clear enough. In the circle is where i think the fan sound is coming from.
I was able to see the image, but unfortunately the resolution is so low that I cannot even make out the brake fluid reservoir which I already know is there.

I do not have a RAV4 to go out and look at, so I am depending on your image to give me the details. I am not aware of any fans in that area, but I recall the ABS pump is located in that location. Can you pinpoint the source to a single device by feeling the vibration with your fingers, or using a short stick/dowel of wood placed against your ear, as a cheap mechanics stethoscope?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I came across an older thread in which the OP had the same problem. I don't believe we heard back as to what was the cause. It may be related to a water leak. LINK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came across an older thread in which the OP had the same problem. I don't believe we heard back as to what was the cause. It may be related to a water leak.

Very interesting, thank you. We have been getting double our average rain here in Toronto, and my symptoms are almost identical to his. I just took a look and sure enough the floor is wet on the passenger side only. I will try to get a hold of that guy and see how he overcame that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts