Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, I have been an anonymous reader for a while but decided to register for asking this very important question.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby boy for mid August, and I just bought an infant car seat (Maxi Cosi Mico AP).

It never occured to me that installing it would provided me with such a headache.

Basically, I could install with the LATCH on the sides (behind the driver, or the front passenger), but I've read on many places that installing the baby in the center is 43% safer (The Car Seat Lady – Where should I install my child’s car seat? Which spot is safest?).

Now, after doing some research, mainly here, it seems that installing the seat in the center position using the existing LATCH hooks (using the inner of the side hooks) is NOT safe, as Toyota have told some other RAV4 users. Apparently the way to go is to use the center belt. Problem: I don't know how to do this. The center belt comes off the ceiling hand has two 'hooks' (one to go in the receptors, one that I don't know what to do with). Moreover, the center receptor is really ... centered so it's awkward.

Did anyone succeed in doing this? Any help would really be appreciated.

Best,
Geeum

ps: this thread was useful but not all answers are there: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/70330-infant-seat-install-center-center-without-latch-side-seat-latch.html

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,614 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming arrival! Your owner's manual goes into great detail on how to attach child safety seats in both the outboard and center seats. Look in the chapter for occupant safety systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming arrival! Your owner's manual goes into great detail on how to attach child safety seats in both the outboard and center seats. Look in the chapter for occupant safety systems.
Thanks! I already took a look but couldn't even find the right section. I'll look again and report back if can't find it.

In the meantime, if anyone has good insights I'll take them!

Geeum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

That was really helpful .. for knowing how that system works (have never figured out there was a receptor in the middle of the seat behind the driver.

However, I tried to install the base of my infant seat with the center belt, and let's say it's not really conclusive. For instance, both receptors for the center belt are .... centered in the middle and left seat, which means the infant seat ends up in between those seats ...

I drove my car to Toyota this morning, they had no idea how to do this (which is poor customer service and also scary). They told me to go to the police station or fire department, which I did, but those guys didn't have certified people available. They told me to go to safekids.org or CHP (California Hgihway Patrol), so I'll make an appointment.

I'll report back if I figure this out but it really looks like I'm gonna go with the LATCH/side seat solution, even though it's not the safest in theory.

Oh and by the way JuneBug: found the right section in my owner manual, but unfortunately it was very confusing, even for the Toyota people :(

Thanks
Geeum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depending on where you are hospitals provide prenatal classes and car seat safety classes, usually for free. I always urge new parents to take these classes that my hospital offers. If not for the info they give you a tour of the birthing suites and if you need help installing the car seat there should be a nurse that you can call and set up an appt with who can help you install the car seat.
If you aren't 100% sure about what you are doing please call your wife's OB they will know all the info you need and who to call.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I faced this same decision about 4 months ago. I decided that, all things considered, I was more comfortable using the LATCH system and installing the seat on the driver's side. I tried the belt install in the center and did not feel nearly as confident that the seat was firmly and securely fixed in place. Faced with the remaining decision between driver side or passenger side, I chose the driver side, as I believe in emergency situations a driver will tend to protect his own side instinctively. This is not a strong theory, but it was enough to break the tie between two otherwise equal options.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Faced with the remaining decision between driver side or passenger side, I chose the driver side, as I believe in emergency situations a driver will tend to protect his own side instinctively. This is not a strong theory, but it was enough to break the tie between two otherwise equal options.
I'd have to disagree. Given that oncoming traffic approaches from the driver's side, one would think the driver's side would be more likely to get hit than the passenger's side.

I believe it's also the side the government uses for the small overlap crash tests, perhaps for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's perfectly fine installing an infant car seat in the center using the lower 2 anchors LATCH. The distance between the 2 lower anchors point is just slightly wider than the two outboard anchors. It's actually safer putting infant seat in the center in case of a side impact crash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd have to disagree. Given that oncoming traffic approaches from the driver's side, one would think the driver's side would be more likely to get hit than the passenger's side.

I believe it's also the side the government uses for the small overlap crash tests, perhaps for the same reason.

That's certainly another consideration, and a good point.

It's perfectly fine installing an infant car seat in the center using the lower 2 anchors LATCH. The distance between the 2 lower anchors point is just slightly wider than the two outboard anchors. It's actually safer putting infant seat in the center in case of a side impact crash.
Toyota says it isn't safe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i put my baby seat in the passenger rear seat. when we carry the baby my wife sits in the driver rear seat next to the baby to comfort him.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
To the OP, Geeum: IMO, there's too much at stake here to listen to just anyone's opinion. I'm surprised your local police dept couldn't do more to help you, but there must be some organization nearby that could help. Like other's have mentioned, perhaps your wife's MD could at least point you in the right direction.
At any rate, congratulations and good health for both your wife and your new baby!:smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, I have been an anonymous reader for a while but decided to register for asking this very important question.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby boy for mid August, and I just bought an infant car seat (Maxi Cosi Mico AP).

It never occured to me that installing it would provided me with such a headache.

Basically, I could install with the LATCH on the sides (behind the driver, or the front passenger), but I've read on many places that installing the baby in the center is 43% safer (The Car Seat Lady – Where should I install my child’s car seat? Which spot is safest?).

Now, after doing some research, mainly here, it seems that installing the seat in the center position using the existing LATCH hooks (using the inner of the side hooks) is NOT safe, as Toyota have told some other RAV4 users. Apparently the way to go is to use the center belt. Problem: I don't know how to do this. The center belt comes off the ceiling hand has two 'hooks' (one to go in the receptors, one that I don't know what to do with). Moreover, the center receptor is really ... centered so it's awkward.

Did anyone succeed in doing this? Any help would really be appreciated.

Best,
Geeum

ps: this thread was useful but not all answers are there: infant seat, install in center center without LATCH or...
Finally somebody with some maxi cosi mico experience. Can you share? are you happy with it? Besides the installation are there any other issues?
I've been hunting for a good car seat for weeks now. I wouldn't have guessed that it such a tedious job. After being disappointed with the negative reviews on amazon. I checked out some online blog reviews. Well I got my ear full of features and hype. So there wasn't any useful in them what so ever. After a bunch of surfing I came across a different blog. These guys actually have tested the car seats. After I've read the maxi cosi mico ap review I've added it to my short list. What do you say is it worth it? Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts