Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All;
I'm currently on the market for a 2004-2005 model (prefer smaller size vs 2006+). Have a few questions for those in the know. I apologize if I'm repeating a previous question but I couldn't locate the answer using search functions.

1) I like the Flint Mica or Everglade. I can only find the Mica in the SPORT model and the Everglade with the grey bumpers. I prefer a vehicle in one solid color. Do these colors come only as "two tone" with the grey bumpers? Don't mean to insult but I'm too old for the SPORT model's non-functional hood scoop.

2) What are the buttons that are missing? I see that the climate control console has 4 notches in the center console. I've seen that the two outer (far left and far right) switches are for the heater to the butt cushion. I'm guessing the two middle button would be for the heater to the spinal cushion. The other set of buttons I don't know are to the left of the steering wheel near the left knee. Tried to locate an online owner's manual but no luck.

3) I don't see much on chipping these Camry engines. At least quite to the extend as the Audi A4 for example. Is there a consensus to what can be done to improve fuel economy and or maintain current economy and lightly bumping up horsepower? With a round trip drive of almost 70 miles to work, I can't afford to loose any more in mileage as gas is over $2.70/gallon (U.S.)

4) I like to go with larger rims but keep the same tire+rim diameter. What is a size combination that's brought satisfactory results? I'm thinking 18 inches but will consider 17 inches if the 18s will rub against the body in extreme cornering (just love the chicanes...bad habits from riding murdercycle).

EDIT:
5) forgot to ask; is the sunroof on the 2004-2005 glass or plastic. I"ve read that the plastic ones of the 2001 will warp and then leak.

Now to go over to the gallery and decide on a front bumper guard/light rail and mesh grille replacement. Thank you all for reading this long thread.

Best Regards!!! :p :p :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome!

I can help with some of these.

1. Flint Mica is available only in Sport. Everglade is available in both the base model and the "L", but not in Sport. The "L" is the one with the color keyed trim. That said, availability is also based on region...it may be possible that in your area you don't get the Everglade "L". In my region (SE Wisconsin) I see quite a lot of them...they're gorgeous.

2. If you mean the punchout blanks, they're primarily for aftermarket add-ons. I'm sure some of them must be used for some factory options that I don't have (I didn't get factory leather/heated seats, for example), but mine is mostly loaded and I've got lots of blanks. One was used for my aftermarket alarm, but offhand I think that may be the only one I've messed with. My aftermarket seat heaters have seat mounted switches.

3. I can't help much with this one, other than to suggest that a K&N drop in filter might help a little bit. The jury's still out on that one though. I'm sure others may have suggestions on this.

4. You can play with different sizes if you follow this link: http://rav4world.com/index/tirelist.html and click on the "Tire Size Calculator" link toward the top of that page.

5. I don't have a sunroof (yet...still working on that one), but my understanding/best recollection is that they did switch from the plastic sunroof to a glass one in like 2003 or 2004.

Hope this helps!

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Becky
Thank you for your fast reply. You certainly helped with a lot of the questions. Now you've created one. Can you please tell me where you got the heated seats from? I can save myself some hassle by opening up my options to include non-heated seats. I've seen on this forum how some have installed aftermarket leather seats. I would like to go the route of leather seats (dog hair is easier to vaccuum) but will definitely need heaters in the winter.

Thank you again!!!

Becky J. said:
Welcome!
I can help with some of these.

1. Flint Mica is available only in Sport. Everglade is available in both the base model and the "L", but not in Sport. The "L" is the one with the color keyed trim. That said, availability is also based on region...it may be possible that in your area you don't get the Everglade "L". In my region (SE Wisconsin) I see quite a lot of them...they're gorgeous.

2. If you mean the punchout blanks, they're primarily for aftermarket add-ons. I'm sure some of them must be used for some factory options that I don't have (I didn't get factory leather/heated seats, for example), but mine is mostly loaded and I've got lots of blanks. One was used for my aftermarket alarm, but offhand I think that may be the only one I've messed with. My aftermarket seat heaters have seat mounted switches.

3. I can't help much with this one, other than to suggest that a K&N drop in filter might help a little bit. The jury's still out on that one though. I'm sure others may have suggestions on this.

4. You can play with different sizes if you follow this link: http://rav4world.com/index/tirelist.html and click on the "Tire Size Calculator" link toward the top of that page.

5. I don't have a sunroof (yet...still working on that one), but my understanding/best recollection is that they did switch from the plastic sunroof to a glass one in like 2003 or 2004.

Hope this helps!

Becky

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Just to add a couple of suggestions:

3) Take weight off your vehicle where possible:

Remove the rear seats & rear cargo cover
Don’t carry unneeded liquids or products
Carry less fuel/ take more fill ups (if possible)
Lightweight rims can save you about 15 lbs. but they are expensive

4) I have 18” works just fine at 235/50/18. No rubbing.
It is a bit harsher ride but not bad. I believe there are 2 more acceptable ratios to the 18’s

Cheers :D

Walt

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you please tell me where you got the heated seats from?
I got mine from a local auto trim shop that is an authorized dealer/installer for Katzkin leather. If you go to www.katzkin.com you will see an "Installer Locator" link and that will help you find someone locally. I got the leather installed for $900 and the seat heaters (done at the same time) were another $300. The owner of the shop is a client at our office and as such those prices may be discount prices...I was happy with those prices and didn't want to push the issue by asking if he was giving me a deal.

If you are really industrious you can order the kit at www.autoleathers.com and install it yourself. No way am I that ambitious! :lol:

The Katzkin leather is BEAUTIFUL quality leather and looks every bit as good as factory leather, if not better. You can also pick from a huge variety of colors, styles, and options. If you get a Rav with seat mounted side airbags, Katzkin was the ONLY place I could find with a 100% guarantee that they were compatible with the airbags.

Becky

·
Registered
344 Posts
My RAV's a 2001, and the sun/moonroof is plastic. It has never leaked (yet), but it does seem to have internal stress cracks within the plastic. By 2004 the moonroofs were glass, and you don't have to worry about the crackled appearance with those.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well JH,
We have an '05 Everglade L and it is all one color as mentioned. Very sharp looking. Most of your questions have been answered. I will add that if your 70 mile commute is mostly highway, then expect 27mpg at best with an automatic all wheel drive. The larger 2.4 liter motor has more punch than earlier models but that may have hurt the fuel economy. If you just get a front wheel drive or manual transmission then it will be a little better. I'm hoping after break-in ours will post 28mpg on some future trip. I have an '04 Corolla too and that would be my preferred long distance commuter (38-40mpg). And it's quicker.
Good Luck.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, thank you all for your reply. The tire table was very helpful. and the 18 inch picture sure put my mind to rest. Always felt they could have put more substantial tires inside that empty looking wheel well.

Glad to hear that the new sunroofs are glass. Otherwise I would pick one up without and get it installed aftermarket.

Very much appreciate the links for the leather seats. Does the finished product with the heat warmers look as professionally done as a factory would (especially the switches)?

RAV4HER, I wish you didn't post a pic of yours. I thought I was winning the battle for the black color until my wife saw your full bodied Everglade. She wants to know if your selling :wink: Yeah, if you should be very disappointed with the 27mpg, I'm willing to help you part with the lemon :D

Just to share some info, my friend who knows quite a bit about engines told me that chipping a non-turbo/supercharged engine will get you negligible improvement (especially in this type of engine :?: ). He said they're designed mostly for turbo where they alter the PSI of the blower. No 200HP RAV4 for me :cry:

Thanx again everyone....best regards!!!!

RAV4HER said:
Well JH,
We have an '05 Everglade L and it is all one color as mentioned. Very sharp looking. Most of your questions have been answered. I will add that if your 70 mile commute is mostly highway, then expect 27mpg at best with an automatic all wheel drive. The larger 2.4 liter motor has more punch than earlier models but that may have hurt the fuel economy. If you just get a front wheel drive or manual transmission then it will be a little better. I'm hoping after break-in ours will post 28mpg on some future trip. I have an '04 Corolla too and that would be my preferred long distance commuter (38-40mpg). And it's quicker.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Becky used to have pictures on a very old thread when she just got her leather seats installed, but the pictures are not there anymore :?. As for the seats, they looked very nice. They looked like factory installed :D. Very nice. I would do it, but my budget doesn't allow me to, but i won't put heaters in the seat, as the weather here is not that cold :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Er...oops. I must've deleted them when I was trying to make room to post some eBay pics or something.

I don't like these pics because the flash made the leather look kinda pearlescent and shiny or something. It's not. It's just really nice quality upholstery leather. But you can see how well they fit, so here's the pics:

I guess I don't have a pic that shows the heater switches, but they are on the plastic on the outside of each front seat, just below the lever that flips the seatback forward. It looks very neat and clean, and I like the location because I don't have to reach to the dash to work the switch. Mine have high, low, and off settings.

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Expect to average 23MPG with an Auto 4WD model. Less if you are a lead foot. Here's my record of gas consumption since December:

Date Miles Gallons Mileage

12/27 - 270.1 11.749 23.0
01/03 - 240.4 11.200 21.5
01/09 - 262.2 11.827 22.2
01/19 - 295.6 13.257 22.3
01/25 - 297.5 12.662 23.5
01/28 - 295.5 12.785 23.1
02/06 - 287.8 12.156 23.7
02/09 - 296.7 12.690 23.4
02/14 - 300.1 13.687 21.9
02/19 - 277.6 11.542 24.0
02/26 - 260.9 11.778 22.2
03/02 - 297.1 12.850 23.1
03/08 - 305.0 13.586 22.5
03/13 - 292.5 12.375 23.6
03/19 - 287.8 12.846 22.4
03/24 - 278.7 12.130 23.0

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wow JohnnyG :eek:... how do you keep close track of your gas consumption? Do you keep all the gas receipts or something? If so, how do you find the time, or remember, to do that? :eek: :shock:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
L model trimming

While looking at lots of 2004-2005 L models in my area, I came to find out that they have the color coded bumper and side door guards. One thing that I didn't see on two L models were the color coded fender flares (molding around the wheel well). Did the former owners slap on the L badge to artificially increase the value sale or is that still an additional option above the L package? I don't know if one can order a base model and opt for teh color coded bumpers, which would then make it easy to slap on a L badge. Thanx again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In reviewing my '04 brochure, it appears that the only version that has the fender flares *standard* is the Sport. Brochure specifically states Sport package includes gray painted fender flares. The fender flares are an option with the "L", and depends upon what tire/wheel package it has. The only "L" tire/wheel package that specifically includes color keyed fender flares is the 16" 5-spoke alloys with 235/60 16" tires, and that particular tire/wheel package is listed as ONLY being available on 4WD "L" models.

So, long story short, it is entirely possible that you would find an "L" without the fender flares.

The only way to get a base model with color keyed bumpers/trim is to pay some ungodly sum to have a body shop paint them (or paint them yourself). That's one of the reasons I decided to get the "L" over the Sport. I figured it would be more painless to add the Sport hood than to have the bumpers, trim, and flares painted to match the body color.

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx for the info

Becky you're awesome :wink:
Thanx for all the help and info you've provided!!!

Becky J. said:
In reviewing my '04 brochure, it appears that the only version that has the fender flares *standard* is the Sport. Brochure specifically states Sport package includes gray painted fender flares. The fender flares are an option with the "L", and depends upon what tire/wheel package it has. The only "L" tire/wheel package that specifically includes color keyed fender flares is the 16" 5-spoke alloys with 235/60 16" tires, and that particular tire/wheel package is listed as ONLY being available on 4WD "L" models.

So, long story short, it is entirely possible that you would find an "L" without the fender flares.

The only way to get a base model with color keyed bumpers/trim is to pay some ungodly sum to have a body shop paint them (or paint them yourself). That's one of the reasons I decided to get the "L" over the Sport. I figured it would be more painless to add the Sport hood than to have the bumpers, trim, and flares painted to match the body color.

Becky

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
garfieldgurl said:
Wow JohnnyG :eek:... how do you keep close track of your gas consumption? Do you keep all the gas receipts or something? If so, how do you find the time, or remember, to do that? :eek: :shock:
When I stop for gas, I enter the information into my PDA. Doesn't take much time at all.

I expect to get 24 with the springtime weather and then see it decline again once it gets hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts