Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is my first post as it is my first Toyota (and thereby first Rav4). I just purchased a 2013 limited and picked it up yesterday. Beautiful car and i love the way it drives etc, but the satisfaction (for now) ends there. I was quite disappointed to find out that many or even most of the options related to the infotainment system appear to not work! This has got me really puzzled and thinking that something must be wrong (especially being a limited). This vehicle even has the premium JBL sound system and XM Sat / HD Radio, so i assume, based on the sales brochure that it would then have navigation, correct?

Here is what i have found so far:

1. Surprisingly i have Sat radio. Never having had it before and I am assuming that you must pay upfront for subscriptions, and i would then expect that it will run out at the end of the year.......today, lol. But that is all i have. There is no AM radio, FM radio or any other source option for that matter. When you hit the SOURCE button, nothing happens except for the beep sound.

2. When you hit the APPS button on hte stereo, nothing happens at all, no screen change, options of any kind etc.

3. When you hit the phone symbol button on the stereo nothing happens at all. Same as point 2.

4. There is no navigation that i can access anywhere.

5. When you hit the SETUP button, the BLUETOOTH and PHONE buttons do absolutely nothing except for an audible beep.

6. Bluetooth does not work at all. Hitting any of the 3 buttons on the steering wheel do absolutely nothing including the voice command button, which is there on this model.

7. Hitting the MODE button on the steering wheel gets an audible beep and then a red circle with a line through it on the display. The sound (SAT Radio) then disappears. Hitting MODE one more time, the sound comes back. Cycle repeats if you hit MODE more times.

So is it just me or is something really wrong here? Any ideal what it could be? Frankly, i have never owned a vehicle without at least AM or FM radio, which is pretty silly! And i assume by tomorrow, if SAT expires, then i will have nothing as far as audio goes.

Any ideas? Is there some software flash that may be required or something?

Any help would be appreciated as i am trying to avoid going to a dealer and spending a bundle of money on diagnosis and repair for something that should already be working.

thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I can try to get a pic but it is definitely factory and not aftermarket. It has the toyota boot up screen and looks absolutely identical to the pic you posted with the exception of having the JBL logo in the bottom right (and "Green" something?). It has the HD and XM logos like that one on the bottom left. It definitely has the JBL system too.

Pushing the SOURCE button on your pic, top right of screen does nothing but a beep.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Do you have an SD map card slot? The card has to be present or nav won't function. There's no pic of the 2013 Premium head unit on the Entune site, but the 2014 premium is just like that of my 2015 JBL unit.

Entune Owners Support

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have an SD map card slot?
I am not sure, where would that be located? I don't see an obvious slot. There is of course the USB port down below the dash. Is the card slot by the head unit?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Apparently the 2013 doesn't have an SD map card slot, here's the Entune support page for your head unit. I suspect you're gonna have to visit the dealer unfortunately. You might try a manual reboot, with power on and the radio on, push and hold the on/off/volume knob in until it restarts, this has solved some minor glitches for both my 2015 and 2016 premium head units. A quick push just turns in on or off.

Entune Owners Support!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So am i right in assuming that this unit should have NAV if it is in a Limited with the JBL, XM and HD Radio?

So here is some updated strange news.....my father in law was over and wanted to hear the 11 speaker system, so i took a cd out. It worked, but again, hitting SOURCE did nothing. So you can't even stop the cd, only eject it, but when you do, you can then hit mode on the steering wheel and i actually got am radio. Hit it again, FM, again, SAT but then it is stuck on SAT again with MODE or SOURCE doing nothing. If you put in the cd and eject it again, you can get back to FM radio but no other way. Now that is goofy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might try a manual reboot, with power on and the radio on, push and hold the on/off/volume knob in until it restarts
This didn't work, it just shut the radio off no matter how long you held the button for. Is it a different procedure for 14 and 15?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try doing this process for restarting the head unit. It comes from the Tech Bulletin for correcting the display brightness.

Within 15 seconds of starting the vehicle (after the Toyota screen comes on), press and hold the "Media" or "Audio" button, operate the light control switch: Turning the headlights On and Off 4 times (very quickly).
I'm pretty sure the door has to be open when you do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you are correct.. If you have the JBL you have Nav, XM, & HD radio..
Except that i don't (NAV), lol. So something is definitely wrong. I tried calling the toyota entune support in the link above but they are closed today for new years. Also tried calling the GM dealer where i got it and same :frown. I will have to try again tomorrow. Hopefully i can get this covered without paying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts