Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 RAV4. I read on one post that starting in 2009 (I think), the inner tie rods are no longer serviceable. That is, in order to replace the tie rods, the entire rack must be replaced. However, I have seen inner tie rods for sale on various web sites for 2011 RAV4s. This makes me think that they are replaceable but Toyota just doesn't sell them (requiring you to buy the entire rack). Has anyone out there tried to replace them or checked out the ability to replace them?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a 2011 RAV4. I read on one post that starting in 2009 (I think), the inner tie rods are no longer serviceable. That is, in order to replace the tie rods, the entire rack must be replaced. However, I have seen inner tie rods for sale on various web sites for 2011 RAV4s. This makes me think that they are replaceable but Toyota just doesn't sell them (requiring you to buy the entire rack). Has anyone out there tried to replace them or checked out the ability to replace them?
Why do you need to replace the inner tie rod. They typically last the life of the vehicle. Are the inner and outers seized together.

Without fist hand knowledge I would think they are replaceable. They look like they are. Peel the boot back and take a peek. Car manufactures these days often state that items are not replaceable to save on repair time. Such as control arm bushings, you just replace the entire arm. The steering rack are pretty cheap, though I would think that the install would be more involved than just a tie road replacement. I see parts available for sale too. If you need them go for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the country of Belize and the roads where I live are marginal at best (rocky, muddy, holes, water). Shock/strut, tie rods, bushings, etc. need to be replaced fairly regularly on most vehicles. I had the rack replaced about 2 years ago with a reconditioned rack from Cardone (which included the inner tie rods). It cured the problem. I'm noticing the same symptoms again and am trying to determine if the tie rods alone can be replaced (less expensive). The parts in Belize are very expensive. I usually order them from the states and have them shipped here. Buying parts through the Toyota dealer is incredibly expensive.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
You maybe right I just check Mayfield Toyota and it seems the outer tie rods are only available. Looks like the inner ones are welded on. At Rockauto they have both inner and outer tie rods. If you buy an aftermarket rack you can use the inner and outer tie rods from Rockauto by the looks of it. Not really sure but looks this way to me.

So if you have a Toyota rack and the inner tie rods fails you need an entire rack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You maybe right I just check Mayfield Toyota and it seems the outer tie rods are only available. Looks like the inner ones are welded on. At Rockauto they have both inner and outer tie rods. If you buy an aftermarket rack you can use the inner and outer tie rods from Rockauto by the looks of it. Not really sure but looks this way to me.

So if you have a Toyota rack and the inner tie rods fails you need an entire rack.
You do not need to source an entire rack.

Two months ago I had my inner tie rods replaced with parts sourced from Rockauto. One of the rods had developed play. The rods are screwed in the rack, not welded. The replacement is an easy job. However, it is important to align the steering after the job is done.

I still have the original steering rack.

My Rav is a 07 V6 with 70k miles

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
You do not need to source an entire rack.

Two months ago I had my inner tie rods replaced with parts sourced from Rockauto. One of the rods had developed play. The rods are screwed in the rack, not welded. The replacement is an easy job. However, it is important to align the steering after the job is done.

I still have the original steering rack.

My Rav is a 07 V6 with 70k miles
That is good news for the OP since he can just buy the inner tie rod instead of the entire rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Keep in mind that my RAV4 is a 2011 and the change to the inner tie rods supposedly happened in 2009. Models prior to that had replaceable tie rods. Legion's RAV4 was a 2007.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts