Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here in this Forum. I am coming from a fully built 3rd gen 4Runner and my new Daily 2005 TSX. My Dilemma is that im kind of torn between two separate Rav4's im currently looking at. Back story, bought the TSX as a DD/Track build but didn't want to drive it through winter, since I drive about 1000+km per week in and out of my job. I was going to use my 99 4Runner but the Gas mileage is so bad for it, I always have to gas up 2 or 3 times within one trip, which is a major hassle especially in -30 to -40 weather. So i am looking to buy a V6 Rav4 for Winter and Camping Summer use. Here are the options:

2008 V6 Rav4 Limited ($12.5k)- 145,000km (90,000 miles), Car Starter and Alarm, DVD Head rest (dont care for it), Roof Rack, has Winter and All-seasons, 2 owners, Private Mechanic Maintained**

2009 V6 Rav4 Limited ($12.8k) - 178,000km (110,000 miles), Factory Toyota Starter and alarm, just serviced replaced a lot of maintenance parts (brakes, shocks etc), Winters and All seasons included, 1 Owner AND Dealer Maintained all its life.

Im gearing more towards the 2009 Model, just because it has been dealer maintained all its life so all the Maintenance and recalls should have been done, but driving a lot in and out of work I like the fact that the 2008 Rav4 has 30k+ less km on it, also it has the factory rails on the roof rack, ill be using this to go out in the mountains to Snowboard.

I see a lot of Rav4s that tend to replace the rear shocks, is this a common problem in this generation rav4s? Thanks for your guys input

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,894 Posts
Definitely go with the 2009 model. There were a lot of little refinements and improvements made to the 2009. Not the least of which are push button start and 110V outlet on the Limited.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
We have two 2008 models and I would choose the 2009 assuming all was correct mechanically.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ditto. Definitely the 2009 for the adjustments and mid cycle refresh Toyota did.

The Rav4 V6 is not great on gasoline, be careful with your expectations in this department.

The 2GR-FE is 3.5L very similar in specs to its sibling the 1GR-FE 4.0L, used in the last couple generations of 4Runners/Tacomas/FJ Cruiser. I know your '99 doesn't use this engine but it gives you an idea of fuel economy when you think of those vehicles in your mind. I believe a lot of people think of this generation of Rav4 and picture a tall, lightweight Corolla when really it's a Highlander with a few inches shaved off. The new generation Rav4 is probably a lot more like a tall Corolla in most respects that way but this is why Toyota changed the recipe from our generation to the newer one to better match what people expect it to be.

Meanwhile the 2006-2012 Ravs are still a fairly heavy vehicle at 3,600lbs+ curb weight (1,633kg+) and this engine as we have it isn't a newer age direct injected 4 cylinder with a CVT that nets 25+ mpg (9.5L/100km) combined mileage like those newer Ravs are. And as compared to 4.0L in the FJs and 4Runners which everyone associates with drinkinking lots more gasoline and compared to 3.5L in our 4.3s despite similar engines and power (4.0L is geared a bit more for lower end torque and sacrifices less overall horsepower in most applications) it really just comes down to moving less weight than those SUVs but it's not much.

I consistently achieve ~16mpg (15L/100km) in my city driving, and typically 23-25mpg (~9.5L/100km) traveling (mostly hwy with some towns kind of thing). But my daily commute consists of some stop and go, some intercity freeway stretches, and some steepish hills. You may be on flat ground with suburban or even long rural stretches where your average is more in the 19-22mpg "city" daily average (~11.5L/100km). I sometimes think I could be driving an 4Runner for that bad of mileage but the thing is, you think 16mpg (11.5L/100km) is what you're going to get from your 4Runner if you buy it when the reality (at least in my commute) is probably more like 12mpg. Just like you're probably expecting 20mpg+(~11.75L/100km) from this Rav4 you are considering when the reality it's probably going to be a lot closer to your current 4Runner. Especially when it gets so cold outside and your Rav4 has to dump a lot more fuel in for the denser air (and to warm up the catalytic converters as fast as possible).

Your mileage may vary. Pun intended.

Excellent vehicles. So-so fuel economy.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
If your snow board will fit inside the RAV I also would go for the 2009 version. I don't think that I would carry snow boards on a roof rack since they would create some wind resistance and also might be damaged unless road speed was kept at no more than something like 35 mph or they were tightly cased and very securely lashed down.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ditto. Definitely the 2009 for the adjustments and mid cycle refresh Toyota did.

The Rav4 V6 is not great on gasoline, be careful with your expectations in this department.

The 2GR-FE is 3.5L very similar in specs to its sibling the 1GR-FE 4.0L, used in the last couple generations of 4Runners/Tacomas/FJ Cruiser. I know your '99 doesn't use this engine but it gives you an idea of fuel economy when you think of those vehicles in your mind. I believe a lot of people think of this generation of Rav4 and picture a tall, lightweight Corolla when really it's a Highlander with a few inches shaved off. The new generation Rav4 is probably a lot more like a tall Corolla in most respects that way but this is why Toyota changed the recipe from our generation to the newer one to better match what people expect it to be.

Meanwhile the 2006-2012 Ravs are still a fairly heavy vehicle at 3,600lbs+ curb weight (1,633kg+) and this engine as we have it isn't a newer age direct injected 4 cylinder with a CVT that nets 25+ mpg (9.5L/100km) combined mileage like those newer Ravs are. And as compared to 4.0L in the FJs and 4Runners which everyone associates with drinkinking lots more gasoline and compared to 3.5L in our 4.3s despite similar engines and power (4.0L is geared a bit more for lower end torque and sacrifices less overall horsepower in most applications) it really just comes down to moving less weight than those SUVs but it's not much.

I consistently achieve ~16mpg (15L/100km) in my city driving, and typically 23-25mpg (~9.5L/100km) traveling (mostly hwy with some towns kind of thing). But my daily commute consists of some stop and go, some intercity freeway stretches, and some steepish hills. You may be on flat ground with suburban or even long rural stretches where your average is more in the 19-22mpg "city" daily average (~11.5L/100km). I sometimes think I could be driving an 4Runner for that bad of mileage but the thing is, you think 16mpg (11.5L/100km) is what you're going to get from your 4Runner if you buy it when the reality (at least in my commute) is probably more like 12mpg. Just like you're probably expecting 20mpg+(~11.75L/100km) from this Rav4 you are considering when the reality it's probably going to be a lot closer to your current 4Runner. Especially when it gets so cold outside and your Rav4 has to dump a lot more fuel in for the denser air (and to warm up the catalytic converters as fast as possible).

Thank you for being so metric fluent:thumbs_up:

Your Oregon environment (probably minus the crazy cold), driving pattern and fuel economy pretty much matched up with what we northerners up here are experiencing. I would vouch for the 13L/100Km city and 10L/100Km hwy fuel economy if you're experiencing a lot of stop & go city traffic & high speed freeway (75mph or 120kph). In context, you will have to visit gas station quite often due to the small 60L (15.8 gal) fuel tank. A full tank will last you about 350 Km (210 mi.) in the city or 500Km (300 mi.) hwy before the low fuel warning light lit up. You got about 10 liters (2.6 gal) left to find a gas station within 60-90Km (36-54 mi).

Overlay this information over your driving habit / fill-up locations and see if the Rav V6 still makes sense? I got to say, the V6 is a fabulous highway vehicle even when fully loaded and AC on. I would imagine it just shrugs off the more extreme elevation changes around Calgary. Regular gas is all the V6 needs for everyday uses. Personally I found using premium gas with no ethanol is great for all highway driving while heavily loaded (or towing). Gas with no ethanol seems to go further for me in this application and the high octane rating helps with fewer transmission kick-down too, in my mind.
@IEDesign summed it up well - Excellent vehicles with so-so fuel economy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Your Oregon environment (probably minus the crazy cold), driving pattern and fuel economy pretty much matched up with what we northerners up here are experiencing. I would vouch for the 13L/100Km city and 10L/100Km hwy fuel economy if you're experiencing a lot of stop & go city traffic & high speed freeway (75mph or 120kph). In context, you will have to visit gas station quite often due to the small 60L (15.8 gal) fuel tank. A full tank will last you about 350 Km (210 mi.) in the city or 500Km (300 mi.) hwy before the low fuel warning light lit up. You got about 10 liters (2.6 gal) left to find a gas station within 60-90Km (36-54 mi).

Overlay this information over your driving habit / fill-up locations and see if the Rav V6 still makes sense? I got to say, the V6 is a fabulous highway vehicle even when fully loaded and AC on. I would imagine it just shrugs off the more extreme elevation changes around Calgary. Regular gas is all the V6 needs for everyday uses. Personally I found using premium gas with no ethanol is great for all highway driving while heavily loaded (or towing). Gas with no ethanol seems to go further for me in this application and the high octane rating helps with fewer transmission kick-down too, in my mind.

Yeah my parents have a 07 Limited Rav4, that I love driving thats why I am looking for a Rav4 to begin with. I understand its not that great on gas, but if its the same engine as the 07 i last about 450-500km on a Single Tank of gas, which I think is good enough for me, my TSX lasts about 530-550km on 50L Premuim gas so its not going to be much different with a 60L Regular gas that last about the same range. Yes I love the v6's on these never have trouble overtaking in the highway, my driving consist of 90% highway. As for my snowboard I was going to use Snowboard racks pretty common up here in Canada, so thats no worries. I am gearing more towards the 2009 I like the updated features and how it was dealer maintained its whole life.

·
Registered
127 Posts

You're welcome about the metric fluency, I'm sure everyone on here benefits from listing both regardless of the thread. Being a 36 year old engineering student who's lived and traveled in other countries I have to say that the "standard" or "imperial" system we have here in the US is a complete pile of s**t from the middle ages (literally). Completely arbitrary, confusing, and makes no sense. There's many painfully clear reasons every other industrialized nations do not use it.

I get about 175-190mi per tank (~300Km) and I try and refill when I get to the quarter gauge mark. Agreed about the premium gasoline. Although I went back to premium after trying regular for a couple of tanks simply because of the hills I have to climb and stop and go traffic where it seems to be smoother and benefit it more. Again I feel like our Ravs are smaller Highlanders considering same transmission and engine, just wish they had also given us the Highlander gas tank 19.2gal (72.5L). Oh, and the Highlander's "Sport" mode/manual shift selection on the shift lever. :eek:

Yeah my parents have a 07 Limited Rav4, that I love driving thats why I am looking for a Rav4 to begin with. I understand its not that great on gas, but if its the same engine as the 07 i last about 450-500km on a Single Tank of gas, which I think is good enough for me, my TSX lasts about 530-550km on 50L Premuim gas so its not going to be much different with a 60L Regular gas that last about the same range. Yes I love the v6's on these never have trouble overtaking in the highway, my driving consist of 90% highway. As for my snowboard I was going to use Snowboard racks pretty common up here in Canada, so thats no worries. I am gearing more towards the 2009 I like the updated features and how it was dealer maintained its whole life.
Same V6 engine, different 4 cylinders between years. Not sure when Toyota fixed the V6 oil line and/or water pump issues though so look into that. If you do mostly freeway and you've already driven this gen Rav with the V6 then you already know how effortless it is. Here in Oregon for example on the way to the coast going over the mountain ranges the V6 effortlessly pulls in up hill in passing lanes without a sweat. It's just a joy to drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the 2009 v6 limited, recently I bought my first RAV4 from my aunt who is the 1st owner. I basically got it because I wanted something reliable as my other car was have tranny issues but boy was I surprised. This thing is a mini beast really powerful. My cousin is a tech at Toyota and maintained it very well I paid 8k and it has 71k miles, v6 limited with navi, push to start etc. so happy I made this decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get the 2009 v6 limited, recently I bought my first RAV4 from my aunt who is the 1st owner. I basically got it because I wanted something reliable as my other car was have tranny issues but boy was I surprised. This thing is a mini beast really powerful. My cousin is a tech at Toyota and maintained it very well I paid 8k and it has 71k miles, v6 limited with navi, push to start etc. so happy I made this decision.
Dang you got a steal!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dang you got a steal!!
Seriously!! I'm envious. Mine was similar, 2012 fully loaded Limited w/ navigation tow package etc, 38K miles, 1 owner, no accidents, serviced at the Toyota dealer it was purchased from. I got it for just under Blue Book but even that was hard to find and hard to negotiate.. he got his for less than half of what I paid! :doh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: So the 2009 Rav4 was bought before i could even see it, but a 2008 Limited appeared with only 75k or (41k miles) Dealer Maintained, Car Starter, Winters and All seasons included. $13,900 CND
Has Back up sensors, JBL system, roof rack but no Side steps (which sucks). Its an estate sale, my main worries are the Water Pump and Oil hose Recalls, can i just call Toyota and take it to a dealership to get every recall done although its most likely out of warranty, pretty sure it wasnt done since it was barely driven but who knows? Im really gearing towards this cause this is going to be my winter beater and will be used highway most of its life so that 75,000km is a big plus.

I am still looking for the 2009 but a low km one and not overpriced, I like the new features on the car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Using the resources of this forum, I was able to see that the oil hose had been replaced on the 2007 I bought earlier this year. I found a thread with pics of the replacement hose--there are certain markings that distinguish the new hose from the old one. A 2008 may or may not have the full metal pipe--I know Junebug has said his 2008 has the all-metal pipe.

My water pump started failing after I bought the car, but I didn't pick up any signs at the time of purchase. Can you get the VIN and run a service history?

As to having all recalls performed, are you sure you would want the rear axle epoxy thing done?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using the resources of this forum, I was able to see that the oil hose had been replaced on the 2007 I bought earlier this year. I found a thread with pics of the replacement hose--there are certain markings that distinguish the new hose from the old one. A 2008 may or may not have the full metal pipe--I know Junebug has said his 2008 has the all-metal pipe.

My water pump started failing after I bought the car, but I didn't pick up any signs at the time of purchase. Can you get the VIN and run a service history?

As to having all recalls performed, are you sure you would want the rear axle epoxy thing done?
Year read that somewhere in a thread that early 2008's might have the old oil hose, i still have to check, which goes back to my question would i be able to get the recalls done even after the warranty? Rear epoxy? never heard or sean a TSB about that..All ive seen was the Rear suspension arm recall should I avoid that recall?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts

You can get the record of services done on your RAV by Toyota dealers by going to www.toyotaowners.com , registering, entering the VIN, and going to the service history portion.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
Here's a whole thread on the hosed hose issue. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/178...-fails-dealer-wont-cover-damages-warning.html
The last half dozen posts are my experience. I got pretty wordy with the whole saga so here's the condensed version:
I had my VVT oil hose replaced under the recall shortly after buying the car. They replaced my hose with another hose. That satisfied them but not me. I found the metal one on eBay and installed it myself. The last post is my write-up of doing it.

Reactions: YYC_Rav4

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get the record of services done on your RAV by Toyota dealers by going to www.toyotaowners.com , registering, entering the VIN, and going to the service history portion.
Here's a whole thread on the hosed hose issue. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/178...-fails-dealer-wont-cover-damages-warning.html
The last half dozen posts are my experience. I got pretty wordy with the whole saga so here's the condensed version:
I had my VVT oil hose replaced under the recall shortly after buying the car. They replaced my hose with another hose. That satisfied them but not me. I found the metal one on eBay and installed it myself. The last post is my write-up of doing it.
Ah ill give them a call if its till the rubber one see if they will change it to the Metal hose. From experience has anyone here done the Rear supsension arm recall?

Apparently Canadian ones dont work, Ive tried with every Rav4 I have been looking at that has been dealer maintained and none of the VIN work at all

·
Registered
419 Posts
In comparison, wife drove a Volvo v70 wagon FWD, with 2.4L-5 cyl - for its weight, averaged 28 mpg & 30 if babied.

Now she has a 2008 RAV4 Limited, 3.5L-v6 and its averaging 25 mpg (Cdn).
- small sacrifice for 269 HP go-cart performance & 4x4 when needed

She loves it - with moon roof, heated leather seats plus heated lower windshield for wipers & also heated mirrors.
- its a real tank, when the roads fill up with snow & driving to/from work in a mini blizzard
- the traction with winter rated tires, on black ice to snow covered roads...is great

^^ Our 2008 has every thing we could of asked for in a dealer maintained vehicle (purchased from Doctor)
- we didn't need a 2009 model
Bought 2 years ago with 89,xxx Km / now turned 150K
- besides synthetic oil changes, set of tires & rear brakes pads/rotors...one $90 rear axle stabilizer link, in 60,000 Km

BTW - our 2008 Limited has the 5 speed auto with the v6 ... while the 4 cyl. is mated to a 4 speed trans.
- so smaller engine with 1 less gear...is no better on fuel economy

PS - Wife RAV4 is a pleasure to drive, as a family vehicle / while my DD'er is a mint 2000 4Runner SR5 with 137,xxx Km.
- true the 3.4L in the T4R suck on gas / the 3.5L is much better with muscle car like performance, a fun ride
I do synthetic oil & filter changes every 10,000 Km and the used oil still retains half of its honey color.
- our 3.5L-v6 never uses oil, between changes
- like the 3.4L both engines easily go 300K miles or 500K Km

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do synthetic oil & filter changes every 10,000 Km and the used oil still retains half of its honey color.
- our 3.5L-v6 never uses oil, between changes
- like the 3.4L both engines easily go 300K miles or 500K Km

How many kms dfo you wait to do your Differential fluids?

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
From experience has anyone here done the Rear supsension arm recall?
Like many here I had it done twice. Now they want to do it again and epoxy it up again. I do not advise having it done because once complete you can no longer get a four wheel alignment. This is a Toyota band aid not a realistic repair.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts