Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
RAV4 2009 Pyrite Mica, R4P 2021 Silver Sky Metallic
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking possession of my RAV4 Prime SE in the next week or so depending on when the car reaches the dealership.

I am trying to figure out which accessories to get.

Do you suggest getting

1. OEM hood deflectors . Does it help protect the car from Bugs etc.
2. Side Window Deflectors

Any advantages? Disadvantages ?

Live in the canadian prairies . Temp get down to -30 to -40 Deg Centigrade with windchill

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hood deflectors won't stop bugs on the windshield in the hight of summer, take it from someone who has traveled from Edmonton to Winnipeg, many times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood deflectors won't stop bugs on the windshield in the hight of summer, take it from someone who has traveled from Edmonton to Winnipeg, many times.
Does it help reduce it. What functions does it serves. Prevents chips etc?

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
21 Posts
I'm not happy with the current offerings for hood deflectors, and in past experience have found they don't do a lot to reduce bug messes (I live on the Cdn Prairies too!) or stone chips. The solution I'm going with is clear paint protective film (PPF) on the front "striking" surfaces. It's not super cheap, and can be a bit of a hassle to install, but it does a decent job of protecting against all but the big rocks and is easier to clean than the painted surfaces.

I've alway been a fan of the window visors, for their ability to allow the windows to be cracked open in rain or hot days while parked. I prefer the "in-channel" style by WeatherTech, but they are unavailable for this generation Rav. Your choices then are limited to adhesive one in the 4 piece sets, or the 6 piece sets, available through a number of sources (including stock Toyota 4 piece). The 4 piece ones are probably a little more functional, but I preferred the looks and fit of the 6 piece (even though the ones over the rear 1/4 windows are useless). They fit a little tighter to the glass than I would like, but look good, and properly installed, completely cover the chrome edge over the side glass. I got mine here (Autoclover):

AUTOCLOVER Smoked Window Visor Sun Rain Vent Guard 6p for 2019 - 2021 RAV4, Side Window Wind Deflectors & Visors - Amazon Canada

JP

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not happy with the current offerings for hood deflectors, and in past experience have found they don't do a lot to reduce bug messes (I live on the Cdn Prairies too!) or stone chips. The solution I'm going with is clear paint protective film (PPF) on the front "striking" surfaces. It's not super cheap, and can be a bit of a hassle to install, but it does a decent job of protecting against all but the big rocks and is easier to clean than the painted surfaces.

I've alway been a fan of the window visors, for their ability to allow the windows to be cracked open in rain or hot days while parked. I prefer the "in-channel" style by WeatherTech, but they are unavailable for this generation Rav. Your choices then are limited to adhesive one in the 4 piece sets, or the 6 piece sets, available through a number of sources (including stock Toyota 4 piece). The 4 piece ones are probably a little more functional, but I preferred the looks and fit of the 6 piece (even though the ones over the rear 1/4 windows are useless). They fit a little tighter to the glass than I would like, but look good, and properly installed, completely cover the chrome edge over the side glass. I got mine here (Autoclover):

AUTOCLOVER Smoked Window Visor Sun Rain Vent Guard 6p for 2019 - 2021 RAV4, Side Window Wind Deflectors & Visors - Amazon Canada

JP
Thanks for the input. where are you from. I live in winnipeg

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD
39 Posts
I had the dealership install the Toyota hood deflector and window visors before delivery. Going to agree that the bug deflector doesn't eliminate bugs or rocks hitting the windshield, but think it helps. Unfortunately my window visors do not cover the chrome trim.
I am not a fan of the clear 3M style of wrap as I do not like what it looks like after years of Canadian weather.
If your RAV4 does not come with the all weather mats, I would highly recommend them. I am a little disappointed with the drivers side coverage (lacking), but it's better than carpet only. The passenger, rear seat area and trunk coverage is great.

Tye

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to get tuxmat for the prime. I will be selling the mats that came with the car. They are kinda pricey but they seem to have great coverage and I like the way it hugs the sides. I have weathertech on my 09 RAV and I am very happy with it. However they stopped hugging the trims pieces which if not careful will result in ice and snow spilling over onto the underlying carpet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know everyone has a different experience. I drove across the US a month ago without the deflector and my windshield was RIDDLED with bugs, it was a massacre. I installed the OEM bug deflector and did the same drive a two weeks later (across the states again) and it seemed to cut down the amount of bugs on the windshield by about half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts