Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2005 rav4 inside road noise is terrible the humming is driving me crazy. i have 28,000 miles on rav4 and have not other problems except this.i still have the factory tires it and they have about a quarter of the tread left.
anybody know of a good quiet tire for rav4 ??
will new tires correct this problem?
if that does not help i will get rid of it,its that bad you can not sit in the back seat and hear your self think
thanks
jill

·
Registered
771 Posts
Run your hand over the inside of the rear tire(s) on the inner portion of the tread surface that touches the road. It should be smooth, meaning all the tread should be worn evenly. If it feels "up and down" with high and low spots as you run your hand around the circular shape of the tire, then you have a tire(s) that are "scolloping" this is common with all AWD vehicles and vehicles with independent rear suspension. It is necessary to "cross rotate" your tires on such a vehicle. If they are making noise now then its already too late.

The common thinking with today's Fwd vehicles is that the tires can just be rotated front to back and all is well. This is probably the biggest misconception. The proper rotation will reduce this issue and help a good set of tires last for a long time.

You may put a quiet tire on but you must follow the rotation schedule set out in the owners manual. By doing so you reverse the rotation of the back tires every 10,000 kms (6000 mi) and over time you will see that your tires will love you for it.

Don't feel bad.....mine do it too. It was already an issue when I bought it and now the sound is louder. Grin and bear it until I get a tonne to throw at new rubber.

Later. M.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES! I have the same problem and I think its worn tires. I have them rotated and balanced every 5000 miles, and now they have 50,000 miles on them. I, too, would like recommendations on QUIET riding tires for all highway, no off roading.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
As I posted in gcc’s article below are the best places to do research on new tires. Then post the 2 or 3 you select and ask for some more input in this group.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4757&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Before you buy your new tires you can do a simple test and load the far rear end of your vehicle with about 200 lbs, (use bottle water), then listen for the noise.

I would get an alignment and when they do the Rear, have the mechanic try to achieve less of a Camber angle.
215 tires = (I think -.2 is min) ..... -.7 or slightly less should be fine
235 tires = -.1 is min......... -.6 or slightly less should be fine

On my RAV (235’s)they could only hammer it as for as -.6 and all I could say is Praise the Lord.
My noise was so bad that I should have been wearing earplugs. :(

Your new Camber angle should help the longevity of your new tires in the long run. May even get rid of the existing noise. But if the tires tread is low, or it shows signs of aging, like cracks then I would definitely get new ones.

When I purchased New Directional Summer tires (slightly larger footprint) and put them on new rims it increased the wheal base by 8 mm, I got the HOWL :shock:

The noise came on at 20, wawawawa :wall , and became unbearable at around 50 mph where it maxed out. I believe it was so load that people thought I wanted to race them :roll: 8)

The actual tire rotation speed including the down force (Negative lift) may have played a factor for the silence after 70 mph.

Anyhow, I am very happy now. :D :D :D

Cheers, Walt

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have had it with my Corolla. Tires from the rear makes a ´humming´ sound.

Solution was to bring it to my Tire shop and make the tire complete round again.
The wheel and tire goes into a sort of turnbank and they shave off a little of the surface. Lost about 1,5 mm of the profile but runs like new. Also works great if you have made a need stop without ABS and have a flat piece on the tire.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody for the advice but i got rid of my rav4 ,bought a 350z
so far great car lots of fun to drive--the only bad thing is the speeding tickets.
thanks again jill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts