Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Install has begun. will post as I go along. [stereo]

58K views 104 replies 18 participants last post by  delladog 
G
#1 ·
Amps are in. Sub is out. still need to run speaker wire. work up a way to mount the sub and make the grill look pretty. not much room for the sub as you can see.

amps in just needing the speaker wire put in.

sub out

comparison w/ a mb quart 8"

hopefully to get done next. mount sub. run all speaker wire.

then next session will be the speakers and the head unit, followed by steering wheel controls.

thanks for your time.

See less See more
G
#4 ·
sub is in. took about 1.75" of mdf to build it out. also had to trim some of the back panel to go around the speaker. Here it is.

TO build out the speaker grill I went to Home Depot and found a 12" black abs planter.

G
#5 ·

Got the rear speakers swapped. what a PITA. Had to drill new holes to hold the brackets, then add the speakers. taking the doors off was easy. Running the speaker wire through the wire connector mounted to the body of the car was evil!

ANyways, these actually look like decent speakers. still paper though. nice sized magnets.

#6 ·
I'll be keeping up with this thread. I've got a limited without the JBL upgrade. Wasn't available when I was looking for a Rav. I'd like to add a sub or two in my vehicle so I'm gonna have it checked out at the local car audio shop. I'm thinking that the hole for the Sub is in the back door under my door panel even though I don't have it. I'll guess I'll find out soon...

G
#11 ·
Well, the Front speakers are in. the headunit is in. I used the Pac SWI-alp and I actually got the steering wheel controls to work. A little sketchy and delayed but they work allright. Side note, the jbl shares nothing with teh regular 6 disk changer in way of wiring harnessl. I got the harness from crutchfield in hopes that I could use some of it to at least get power. hmmm, nope. had to splice the whole thing. that took sometime with the steering wheel controls. Nice about the jbls is the front tweets are like an 1.25 or 1.5 set. and the front cones are poly with rubber surrounds. the rear doors had like .5 inch tweeter and a paper cone. didn't match....

SO all the mb quarts are in and the stereo works. sounds 100x better.

Things to do...
get a 1 din pocket from toyota, the scosche one looks cheap.
have to cover the sub still
I want to make a pretty cover for the amps and seperate them a bit. probably use mdf and carpet because lexan would show off and my goal here has been to hide this stuff to look stock except for the HU.

Anways here are some more pics.

G
#14 ·
There was a classified post awhile back and a gent from japan sold me an oem one for 70 shipped. To me the oem was worth it.

I feel the same about the pocket. I wanted a dvd player but decided I wouldn't use it. I don't watch movies in my car just drive and listen to radio. I ordered an oem pocket from a camry. I will see how that looks and I am trying to shape the trim piece from the alpine to fit and see if that looks better.

I am also considering some LED's and a piece of white teflon. I can hook it up to the led kit already and switch it on with that or just have it on with the radio. make some nice mood lighting. Probably going to take a break for awhile with mothers day coming up. but will post more when I get the cover for the sub done.

G
#16 ·
Well my mb quart 8 inch sub just blew. anyone interested in trading rear door panels? I would include my jbl sub with the door. the grill is in the process of being glued back on. I want a black rear door panel.....no sub hole.

G
#19 ·
I am assuming the same thing on the free air. I did try to seal the area but couldn't really fit a box in there. Worked fine at low volume but the first time I turned it up one of the coils went. might look into fiberglassing a 10 in place and building a nice box on the door. might be too heavy for the hinge though?? Any thoughts?

#21 ·

this is a very rough sketch of what I was thinking for the cargo well where your amps are. Either two RE8's or one RE10, a flush mount amp and leave the rear door sub as is for when you need to remove the box or trade it in. Then eventually upgrade the other speakers and run through a cleansweep or something similar, I like the factory deck look and it plays MP3's which is fine by me. I waiting till I get back from Iraq next year and my move to Vegas before I go buck wild on her.

G
#23 ·
Would the part number be stamped on it somewhere? Not sure how else to get the part number. Will look around. I am pretty sure I tossed the box.

I purchased mb quart 10" for 40 bucks on ebay last night. I have some 3/4 mdf. I am going to play with hiding the sub with the amps in the cargo area. but I think I want to get the door cover that doesn't have the speaker grill on it. depends on what the dealer wants for it or maybe I will wait a few months and try to find one from a junk yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.