Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Everyone:

Firstly, a Happy New Year to all of you and your families!!!

Luckily for me, I got a GENK5AM for new years but unfortunately installation was not part of the gift.

After reading the installation manual, I think installation should not be too hard because I have the tools needed. One major thing is I want to make sure the factory windshield mount will work and I think I will just have to find this out for myself unless someone has experience doing it and can confirm.

My two main questions are:
1.) I can probably find through trial and error and multimeter the right 12V circuit to use i.e. one that is on only when the ignition is on but does anyone recommend using any particular circuit for me to tap into? I am not sure if it should be a car-on, or an accessory-on circuit because those are two different ignition positions and I guess the only difference would be I would have my compass if I am sitting in the car with the accessory on but not with the engine started? I am not sure how much current it pulls and if that is too taxing for the battery. I am going to use a Lumision FuseTap which you can see here: Amazon.com : FAST Shipping* ADD CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE APS ATT LOW PROFILE MINI FUSETAP FUSE TAP + FUSE SET 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 AMPS : Car Electronics

2.) The ring terminal as it is recommended should go around a bolt or screw that is in good contact with the metal body in the driver's step well. I could also probably find one after some digging around, but does anyone know of a good place (screw, bolt, or otherwise) to ground the mirror that is near the driver's step well?

As per my profile, I have a four cylinder 2012 Rav that I'm loving, but after getting rid of my old V8 4Runner Limited I really miss the compass and the auto-dim and family members heard my prayers and got me one!

This is my mirror: Robot Check

Thanks,
BDE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the mirror in already, works great and I'm very happy with it. In case anyone was wondering, the standard windsheild mount worked fine. The wire cover (basically black trunking conduit) has to be trimmed -- I used a serrated swiss army knife.

All I had to do was to remove the A-pillar trim which was a bit tricky until I realized the fasteners need to be turned 90 degrees for easy removal, then after that I cable tied my wires to wherever the plastic brackets were, and I wrapped all the stuff with plastic wrap into a torpedo to feed it from the A pillar on the top of the dash down to the drivers' foot well (because I did not have fishing tape and trying to feed them through separately always resulted in them getting stuck.) Across the car ceiling I just tucked the wires in near the top of the windsheild.

The ring terminal was too small for most bolts, so I cut a split into it and just fastened it on a convenient bolt far away from any brake, steering, or other moving parts.

To make things simpler and use less unnecessary material, I removed the two green wires for the temperature probe which I did not want (my car already has a thermometer) and the yellow wire for homelink (my mirror is just compass and auto-dim).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts