Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share that I installed the OEM hitch with the AA Products Steel Cargo Carrier and so far, everything is great. I was worried that the basket was going to be too tall (17.3" walls) and would not clear the hatch, but it clears just fine. I did not do an install video because there a lot of helpful videos out there already, but really wanted to show the basket carrier and the clearance for those who are looking for one (I couldn't find any videos when I was looking).

I also took my time installing the hitch and rerouted the kicker sensor wires so that it would still work... And it still does. Don't believe the dealer that the kick sensor has to go if you install the oem hitch.

In case you're wondering, the basket I got was this one: AA Hitch Carrier

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Here's a video to show the kick sensor working and the clearance for the basket carrier.

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE, Premium, SS Red
68 Posts
I also took my time installing the hitch and rerouted the kicker sensor wires so that it would still work... And it still does. Don't believe the dealer that the kick sensor has to go if you install the oem hitch.

[/QUOTE]
Could you share details on exactly how you re-routed the kick sensor wires? I installed an ecohitch receiver (no cutting of the sensor wires) and yet have lost the kick sensing. I know the OEM receiver requires cutting the bumper right where the wires are located but not so with the ecohitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you share details on exactly how you re-routed the kick sensor wires? I installed an ecohitch receiver (no cutting of the sensor wires) and yet have lost the kick sensing. I know the OEM receiver requires cutting the bumper right where the wires are located but not so with the ecohitch.
Here's the video I followed. I ran my wire slightly different than the video so that the two tips of the wires are lined up. I also made grooves in the plastic harness piece so that the sensor cable can sit in flush as well as notched the area where the tip of the sensor was so that it was flushed as well. I wished I would have taken a picture, but forgot when I got done with the hardness piece. Hope that helps.

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Video:

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE, Premium, SS Red
68 Posts
Here's the video I followed. I ran my wire slightly different than the video so that the two tips of the wires are lined up. I also made grooves in the plastic harness piece so that the sensor cable can sit in flush as well as notched the area where the tip of the sensor was so that it was flushed as well. I wished I would have taken a picture, but forgot when I got done with the hardness piece. Hope that helps.
Thanks for sending. For my install there was no sensor cutting involved like there is with the OEM receiver. I was surprised that I lost the kick sensor function just by having the hitch installed. No matter where I "kick" I can't get the sensor to detect my foot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Amp Power, please see this discussion I started and my experience with photos:
Tow Hitch for XSE w/ Premium; Kick Opening Lift Gate | Toyota RAV4 Forums (rav4world.com)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts