Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed an Oil Filter Relocation Adapter Kit

I used the 24K Gold Aluminum Oil Filter Relocation Male Fitting Adapter Kit 3/4X16 , 20X1.5 for Toyota MR2 - Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y5E3NGA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reasoning:
1) The hose fittings can really only be pointed downward on my old filter sandwich, the one closest to the exhaust manifold is way too close I feel and it would lead to heating the oil up in the hose and putting too much heat on the hose itself.
2) The filter relocation kit allows two hoses to rise straight up off the top of the adapter, which is much further from the exhaust.
3) My sensors won't be exposed to as much heat
4) The oil filter sandwich I originally purchased interferes with the oil dipstick.
5) A remote filter will allow me to install a larger filter
6) The filter side of the kit has two 1/8" npt ports for sensors, I will install the engine OEM oil pressure sensor (with a NPT to BSPT thread adapter - Trico FA-1017 Brass Central Lubrication Straight Adapter, 1/8" BSPT Female x 1/8" NPT Male - Amazon.com) and an oil temperature sensor for those ports.
7) I used a dremel to grind down an area to improve the depth for the oil temperature gauge sensor because it wasn't deep enough.
8) Using a 10AN AN10 AN-10 Flare Male-Female 1/8" NPT Aluminum Finish Fitting Adapter (Red) - Amazon.com to mount my aftermarket oil pressure sensor
9) I am using 10AN stainless steel braided teflon hoses and fittings specifically designed for teflon hose to assure that they will not be damaged from heat or synthetic oil.

I will add a 10AN oil cooler at a latter date.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As soon as I get the 10AN hose in and assemble it I'll post photos of the old filter sandwich and the new filter relocation kit.

I tried using the my old oil filter sandwich but I cannot get a good seal on it because I think the dipstick is interfering with it getting a seal. I have tried several times, it is very difficult to see into that area to see what exactly is happening particularly when it is dripping oil in your eye.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Found another filter that works this time! The filter bolt is a 20mm-1.5 and the seat base is roughly 2" inside and 2.5 " outside diameter so I had to do research and cross referencing and more research and I found the NAPA Gold 107192 (same as the WIX WL7192 or SL7192) would fit and it is very large, like nearly 3 times as large! I like that nut on the K&N filters but I couldn't find an oversized filter in that brand.

Height ............................. 5.787 in (147mm)
Outside Diameter .............. 3.149 in (80mm)
Gasket Outside Diameter ... 2.440 in (62mm)
Gasket Inside Diameter ..... 1.968 in (50mm)
Cubic Inches ................... 45.070 in³ (738.57 cm³)
OE Filter is approx ........... 16.860 in³ (276.22 cm³)

It is difficult to find a filter based on threads, and gasket dimensions, WIX and NAPA are the only ones I found that had that information in an on-line catalog, but when you try to do cross references to other filter brands it isn't always very effective.

I thought I found that the K&N HP-2006 oil filter would work but the threads were wrong.

The following link is for a site where someone did a lot of research on oil filters and has some very interesting information to share. Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Still waiting on the 10-AN hose, I now have the remote filter adapter, fittings and the hose making tool.

I've had to prioritize the pontoon boat and fishing for the past several days.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I finally got almost everything in today for the remote filter install. I made the hoses and assembled everything except the pressure sensor for my oil pressure gauge because the fitting won't be in until Friday 23 Dec 2016.

I fabricated a mount for the remote filter using two of the bolts that face upwards on the right transmission mount and a doubled up heavy gauge piece of flat aluminum stock for the mount. Mounting here allows the sensors, filter, and hoses to avoid interference with the engine and other components.

If all goes well, the fitting will be in Friday for the oil pressure sensor gauge and I will be complete with this project. Pictures will be forthcoming.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are the photos:

Remote oil filter adapter - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8Coaa2ZDTGRNU3hNNXM

Remote oil filter from above - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaUGo0dW1aZFJ4UjA

Remote oil filter from below - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoadEkydGRWSXk1cGc. Note that the other set of 6AN hoses you see in the photo are for my transaxle oil cooler, I made my own to replace the expensive Toyota OEM hoses. See my thread at http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/245377-making-your-own-manual-transaxle-cooling-hoses.html

In the photos you can see my sensors one is the stock oil pressure sensor, next to it is my oil temp sensor, and above those on the adapter is the aftermarket pressure sensor. See my link for my gauge project at http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/227009-install-double-din-radio-gauges-12v-power-point-usb-power-point.html

Another project completed.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I forgot to mention, I pressure tested the hoses with 120 PSI for 10 minutes. 120 PSI is much much higher than anything the oil pump will put out.

Pressure test fittings - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaNTRsVXFsdjVxd3c

Hose with the fittings installed - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoaMlZISjZIYUowUkk

Completed hoses - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N4qdhM8CoadkI1ZkFzWE1MN2c

The fittings consists of:
- 1 ea 1/4" pneumatic male connector
- 2 ea 3/8" to 1/4" reducer plugs
- 2 ea 3/8" couplings
- 2 ea 10AN male flare fitting or whatever size you would need
- 1 ea 1/4" plug

Note: You could just use a 10AN Flare Plug Male Nut and eliminate the following (I went this way because I already had the fittings and I would have to wait for a 10AN plug):
- 1 ea 3/8" to 1/4" reducer plugs
- 1 ea 3/8" couplings
- 1 ea 10AN male flare fitting or whatever size you would need
- 1 ea 1/4" plug

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This project is now complete unless something breaks, if it does I'll update this post.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone uses this information, please leave a comment letting me know how it went. Also, let me know if you have any improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the photos. BTW the mounting location of the filter is on the "frame just behind the AC dryer/accumulator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is something that I have been thinking about. Not a fan of the stock oil filter location!

Why did you move the stock pressure sensor? Was it just to get away from the exhaust or did it need to move with the adapter plate?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I pulled my engine to replace the my dead transmission something struck the oil pressure sensor and broke the head. I patched the damaged head but then I had to move the sensor to a new location and it only made sense to add it to the remote filter mount.

I also replaced the oil cooler hoses with braided stainless steel/Teflon hoses because one blowing is what killed my transmission. Easy and fairly inexpensive job, I have a thread on it, see http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/245377-making-your-own-manual-transaxle-cooling-hoses.html

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Trouble with the oil filter adapter backing out and leaking, time for a change...

Okay, time for an update and an upgrade

I've had nothing but trouble with the oil filter adapter that mounts in the original filter location; it keeps backing out and leaking and I'm afraid of it doing it at the wrong time and damaging my engine. There is no way to secure the adapter that I have found so I'm changing it out, I'm now going to use a bolt on adapter instead. I'll use the following:
- Moroso 23682 90 Degree 3/4"-16 Thread Remote Oil Filter Adapter (amazon.com)
- 2 ea - 10 an Male Flare to 1/2 npt 90 deg nipple adapter Black Anodized Aluminum (ebay.com)
- Reuse everything else
-- 1 ea - 24K Gold Aluminum Oil Filter Relocation Male Fitting Adapter Kit 3/4X16 , 20X1.5 for Toyota MR2 (amazon.com), I'll keep the remote filter mount only.
-- 5 ft - Autobahn88 PTFE Teflon Hose with High Tensile Stainless Steel Braided (Single Layer) for Fluids : Oil, Water, Coolant, Methanol. Silver. -10AN (amazon.com)
-- 2 ea - Fragola 689010-BL Black Size (-10) 90° PTFE Hose Fitting, (amazon.com) - used at the filter mount
-- 2 ea - Fragola 680110-BL Black Size (-10) Straight PTFE Hose Fitting, (amazon.com) - used at the oil filter adapter
-- 4 ea - Straight -10AN Flare Male to 1/2"NPT Pipe Adapter Fitting 10 AN Bare Aluminum, AN816-10-08A (I will only be reusing 2 ea because I'm using the previously listed 90 degree adapter fittings coming off the oil filter adapter)

I have the Spectra Premium CU2292 Complete Radiator and it has a built in transmission/oil cooler under the radiator and I'm going to use as an oil cooler. All that is necessary for the change is to cut one hose and clamp it on to the ports.
- 2 ea - Blue 10AN Aluminum Anodize Finish Hose Ends Cover with Clamp Fitting Adapter AN-10 (amazon.com) these will serve as the hose clamps.

As soon as everything gets here I'm installing everything and I'll update the photos.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And my neighbor who is a great mechanic and antique vehicle restorer dropped by and I mentioned to him about the filter adapter repeatedly backing out and he suggested red thread lock... Doh :doh:

I'm still going with the new adapter which is here now but I may put a dab or thread lock on it to prevent problems. I'll install all of it on Monday when the 90 degree fittings arrive which are the final parts that I'm waiting on.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time for an update.

The Moroso 23682 90 Degree 3/4"-16 Thread Remote Oil Filter Adapter was a flop, with the fittings coming off the side it interfered with the oil dipstick and could not be used. I tried several different ways to mount it but none worked. So I went with my neighbors suggestion and used Loctite 2620 Red Threadlocker (auto zone) on my original remote filter adapter to keep it from backing out again, I hope this is a final solution to this problem. Before I applied it I cleaned the fittings and then used carburetor cleaner on a rag to remove any remaining oil residue.

- I also completed an oil change while I was at it, Dec 2018
-- 1 ea - WIX WL7192 (rockauto.com)
-- Mobile 1 5W-30 Wt high mileage 5 qt (walmart) and it takes all 5 qts to fill up the hoses and larger filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts