Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added Rear Door Opener

I camp out several times a year and sleep in the back of my RAV. I often wished I could open the rear door from inside and found a pretty easy way to do it. I drilled a 2" hole through the door and clamped a 12" long piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the actuator rod. The rod has a couple of dogleg bends to come up and through the hole I made. I then threaded the end of the rod and added a plastic knob with a 1/4"-20 female thread. I kind of took an educated guess as to where to drill a 3/8" hole through the plastic door panel. It works like a charm and it only cost me $3.00 for the knob. I had the rest of the parts laying around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're anywhere near Luzerne County, Pennsylvania maybe I can pay you to do this to our 2009 RAV4 that we just bought. Do you have a video?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Added Rear Door Opener

I camp out several times a year and sleep in the back of my RAV. I often wished I could open the rear door from inside and found a pretty easy way to do it. I drilled a 2" hole through the door and clamped a 12" long piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the actuator rod. The rod has a couple of dogleg bends to come up and through the hole I made. I then threaded the end of the rod and added a plastic knob with a 1/4"-20 female thread. I kind of took an educated guess as to where to drill a 3/8" hole through the plastic door panel. It works like a charm and it only cost me $3.00 for the knob. I had the rest of the parts laying around.
I wish the OP took a few more pictures to go along with the post. I can't figure out if he drilled that 2" hole thru both layers of door backing or just one? And did he just clamp the new added alum rod parallel to the existing door mechanism? It's a neat project and I'm trying it out for myself right now, but I have to admit it's a lot more involved than I anticipated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts